PDA

View Full Version : need some quidance

canuck4570
06-28-2006, 10:19 PM
I would like some opinion on why a certain bullet leads the barrel badly........and if possible ways to remedy this problem.....All my molds are non gaz check and none of them lead the barrel up to around 1500 fps except one.... I have 4 Saeco 300 gr 400gr and a 500 gr and a 525gr..... no leading from them.. and all accurate...... on from Paul jones a 575 gr and the last one a 500 gr from Mountain molds.... this is the one that lead the barrel no mather what load and velocity even at 900 fps...... the only difference that I can see from the other one is that the moutain molds throws them a a .463 and the others at a .460..... I seized 459 usualy but with this mold I have tried .458 .459. 460 nothing doind.... and unfortunatly this his my favarit one because of the meplat..... .300 thank you for you time....

Bass Ackward
06-29-2006, 06:47 AM
I would like some opinion on why a certain bullet leads the barrel badly.

Mr. 70,

Where in the barrel?

Because iffin I had to guess, I would say that you are sizing down that far, that you are reducing the lube carrying capability of the slug to the point that there just ain't enough for your bullet / load / bore combination.

This is fairly common. It is also one of those cast bullet .... quandries.

If you increase the bullet diameter and a bullet shoots better, did it do it because it 1) created better alignment in the bore, 2) improved resistance enough that it produced better ignition, or 3) because it carried enough lube that hydrolic pressure was able to be maintained until exit?

Wayne Smith
06-29-2006, 07:25 AM
You didn't say how hard you're casting them?