PDA

View Full Version : Casting comparison

Lead Fred
03-09-2010, 04:34 AM
I didnt make this post to argue about what I used, or how it worked. Just wanted others to know my experience from casting today.

Ive been using a gas stove to cast for years. I got a Lee furnace and used it for the first time today.

It is like night and day. Way cooler (temp) and regulating he heat was so easy.

I normally only cast one type of boolit at a time, but today I did two.

I made 500gr from a Lee mold, then 400s from a Lyman.

At the end I threw the Lee mold in the trash can.

The Lyman just seems to be so much easier to use, and I have we less throw backs.

Its also aluminum vs steel.

I think Ill ever buy another Lee mold. I have a 30 cal one Ive never used. It may send the rest of its life in the box.

I only have Lee round ball molds, and they work great.

Dang I had fun

sagacious
03-09-2010, 05:21 AM
Sounds like a good deal! Onwards and upwards, hey?

Iffn you don't want that 500gr LEE mold, I'd be happy to cover your postage to me. I could maybe squeeze some more life out of it-- not for resale, just for my own testing.

stubshaft
03-09-2010, 05:40 AM
Technology is a wonderful thing. Back in the day when I started casting boolits I used to cast boolits with lead melted in a small pot on the kitchen stove. The only sizer I had was a Lee product that you had to pound via mallet the boolit through it similar to a Lee Loader.

Just think of the future Lead Fred when you can look back and say "I remember when"...

montana_charlie
03-09-2010, 02:37 PM
and regulating [t]he heat was so easy.
Yeah, ain't technology great?
I got the same kind of convenience when I hooked up a PID to my buffalo chip campfire...

selmerfan
03-09-2010, 04:27 PM
If you don't want that .30 cal mold, I may be interested. PM me if you want to get rid of it.
Selmerfan

45-70 Chevroner
03-09-2010, 07:16 PM
Sad, Sad, Sad, to bad your not willing to find out what is wrong with the way you are casting.
I have two double cavity 500 gr. Lee molds and cast piles of boolits with about a 10% through back. This is not an arguement just an obvservation. Good luck with your lyman mold.
Please give the guys wanting the trashed molds a chance. Mail them to them.

jforwel
03-09-2010, 07:36 PM
I haven't cast anything close to 500gr but with my new Lee 20lb pot and the temp up high the aluminum 6 bangers throw out tons of boolits fast. And with my new hot plate, warm up time will be quicker with less returned to the pot.

I wouldn't throw away a mold that might just need some experimentation.

Dale53
03-09-2010, 08:19 PM
Lead Fred;
I started casting bullets with a Lyman 10lb cast iron pot (not much bigger than a cereal bowl) and dipper. I went bottom pour just a few years later. I now have two RCBS pots and am HAPPY.

Over the weekend, I was at our local gun club "Swap Meet". I saw a nicely cleaned up Lyman cast iron pot and dipper just like I used 60 years ago. Yep, I bought it for the mantel (dern thing cost me $10.00). It makes a nice memento for this old bullet caster.

FWIW
Dale53

OLPDon
03-09-2010, 08:31 PM
Lee mould indead are more perticular on casting then Lyman / RCBS moulds. But the price of a Lee mould and with there CNC machines they have improved over the yrs. With out a doubt Steel mould are more forgiving. That being said with a little tweeking they can perform quite well. I have been using a 2 RCBS bottom pours and find them top of the line for casting.

Dig that Lee mould out of the trash a do a lamenting project on it. You might find you can get by with the Lee mould. If not Ebay it.
Don