PDA

View Full Version : Recommendation for a Kit Builder?

Tom in Pittsburgh
03-08-2010, 10:54 PM
I've been drooling over Pecatonica and Chambers long rifle kits, but am personally all thumbs and not set up to try to put a kit together.

Anybody have any experience with a competent gunsmith who will finish one of these kits -- without taking me for a ride?

TIA

Tom

waksupi
03-09-2010, 01:14 AM
Well, I may be able to help you out. PM me if interested, and we will see what you want to have done.

DwarvenChef
03-09-2010, 03:11 AM
Next year I plan to be able to take on these kinds of projects, till than I'm buying kits and rebuilding them and customising them for resale. Practice and a full wood shop makes for faster turn around haha :)

Lead Fred
03-09-2010, 04:25 AM
Tom,

I didnt buy a Chamber's kit, and Im sorry I did not.

I bought this and that and it all fit together and works top notch.

I wanted a working mans iron rifle, and Jim didnt have that back then.

Hes kits are still made from the best stuff you can buy.

Just easier to put together

oldhickory
03-09-2010, 05:58 AM
On Jim Chambers parts page he sells a video on assembling his kits, it's very worth while, even if you have it done by someone else.

DwarvenChef
03-09-2010, 07:10 AM
How about the Ron Ehlert DVD? Anyone seen that set?

rick/pa
03-10-2010, 11:34 PM
You could try Phil Cravener in Latrobe. He shoots with Old Westmoreland Rifles if you go to any of their shoots. You might find him at the Long Rifle show at Old Fort Bedford this April. I think he is on Mission Rd in Latrobe and should be in the phone book. Several years ago he finished a kit for a friend of mine. Price was reasonable.