PDA

View Full Version : Dale53

6pt-sika
06-27-2006, 11:12 PM
Congrats :drinks:

I had read your article about Jim Borten in the "Single Shot Rifle Journal" before . But I got the mail yesterday and had the new issue of "Dakota News" and saw they had printed it as well . Stands to reason since he used a Miller Rifle (and they now own the them).

You seem to be pretty well versed in the different schuetzen rifles that one can have made these days . What are your preferences for asthetic appeal ? And what are your preference for accuracy ?

I have a fairly deep intrest in the CPA's and the Ballards intrest me as well . But the Miller's , Peregrine's and any that I am not aware of ; I do not know much .
I know that the Miller action is the one DeHass Miller started back in the 60's I believe and that they kinda look like a Ruger #1. But thats about it . Oh yeah I also know that the Millers own most of the records now and also seem to win most of the matches .[smilie=1:

Dale53
06-28-2006, 01:04 AM
Frank DeHaas took a book to answer your questions:mrgreen: ., no offense intended. Seriously, you might want to order a copy of "Single Shot Rifles and Actions" by Frank DeHaas.

I have a number of actions and frankly, I like them all. I am NOT a one brand horse.
The first thing you need to do is decide which cartridge you are going to use in the rifle. That makes a LOT of difference. I prefer Ballard, Stevens 44½, CPA Stevens 44½, and Stevens 44 (in that order) for a .22 Traditional type rifle. It is hard to beat the various "made for .22's" Martini's (my favorites are the various International's) with the BSA Mk IV and MK V my favorites of the Internationals for a "modern" single shot .22.

If you are going to stick with the traditional .32/40 or .38/55 cartridges in black powder, Ballard, Winchester High Wall, Stevens 44½, CPA Stevens all would do well.
If you are going to shoot smokeless powder in one of the modern small cartridges (like the highly acclaimed .32 Miller Short or .32/357 Dell, I would prefer a modern action like the Peregrine (that's what I shoot but they are no longer available) or the Miller/ DeHaas. The little cartridges are relatively high pressure cartridges - they are often loaded to 40,000 psi to get a 220 gr bullet up to 1450-1500 fps. This requires a strong action.

The Miller/Dehaas is not that much better than some original actions. The reason that so many records have been set with them is the top shooters are using them. If Jim Borton were shooting a Ballard, he would still be the man to beat. However, the Miller is an excellent action, built extremely well of the finest materials and it is available. I tend to prefer actions that have a stock through bolt as being stiffer than an action only fastened with wood screws.

Just keep in mind that if you ask ten "authorities" you will no doubt get several different answers. My good friend, Charlie Shaeff is an exponent of the Winchester High Wall (his bench gun is a Peregrine:mrgreen:) and he has been around schuetzen rifles, and writing about them as long or longer than I have.

A good rifle, put together by a good single shot riflesmith in a good caliber still needs a knowledgeable and skilled shooter to get the most out of it. You have to be a "Master Caster" to shoot half inch groups at 100 yards, on demand, in a plain base lead bullet rifle. "Many are called but not many answer..."

Dale53

6pt-sika
06-28-2006, 01:52 AM
My thing is to shoot the "classic" cartridges ; 25-20SS , 28-30 , 32-40 and 38-55 . But with smokeless powder . Hence my reason for preferring the CPA or 44 1/2 . Since you can readily change barrels .
Also cost of the CPA versus the Miller is quite a bit . Looks to me like you can get a fullhouse CPA offhand Schuetzen rifle with better then average wood and checkered , along with a Palm Rest for about $3250 . And the Miller starts above that . Then additional barrels for the CPA will be from $700-900 depending on preference.
Charlie Schaff is in the C'ville area (inVA)correct ? I've tried to call him a few times but never got an answer . He was or is the closest person to me . So I thought I would try and get some insight from him .
But since I've not been able to contact him , I figured I'd pick your brain a little .

Bret4207
06-28-2006, 07:36 AM
Everytime I see the pics of Shuttleworths 44 1/2's I drool all over the magazine. Someday, someday.....

6pt-sika
06-28-2006, 05:21 PM
Everytime I see the pics of Shuttleworths 44 1/2's I drool all over the magazine. Someday, someday.....

Bad thing is the whole time I was living in his area I was never able to get to his shop when he was there :(

Now if I get around to ordering one I will have to drive 5 hours back up there or order one sight unseen .:???:

Dale53
06-29-2006, 02:11 AM
Write me direct and I'll give you Charlie's e-mail address. That is the best way to reach him.

Dale53

6pt-sika
06-29-2006, 09:00 AM
Write me direct and I'll give you Charlie's e-mail address. That is the best way to reach him.

Dale53

Dale , PM sent !

Thanks