PDA

View Full Version : Smelting Rosin Core Solder

tek4260
03-08-2010, 02:45 PM
Is there any thing special that needs to be done? I would hope that the rosin would simply burn off, but I don't want to take a chance on it mixing in with the alloy and coating the inside of my mold or sticking bullets. That dosen't sound likely, but I had to ask since I tis a noob at this. Thanks!

ghh3rd
03-08-2010, 03:17 PM
I smelted a 5 lb roll of rosin core recently. It smoked quite a bit, but I helped tame the smoke down by scooping up most of the puddle of rosin, taking care not to remove any of the precious tin.

Be sure to do this process in your dedicated 'smelting' pot, not your casting pot, as the rosin did dirty up the sides of my pot for a while, but that's what that pot is for.

The rosin acts as a flux and burns out of the melt entirely.

markinalpine
03-08-2010, 03:28 PM
From my old Heathkit days, I enjoyed a little rosin smoke. If it gets too thick for you, move upwind. :cbpour:
He's :violin: using rosin, too.
Mark :coffeecom

Dollar Bill
03-08-2010, 03:36 PM
The rosin is a fluxing agent. Just like candle wax or lube, light it when it smokes. No worries.

Shiloh
03-08-2010, 04:15 PM
As already stated, it'll smoke like heck!! Burn off completely though. It'll probably smell like the incense at my aunt Bernice's Catholic funeral.

Shiloh

fecmech
03-08-2010, 09:20 PM
It's a great flux. I bought 30 1 lb. rolls of 63/37 solder that Grainger had for about $2 a roll and I mix it with 32 lbs. of WW's for a 2% WW/tin mix. It burns off just fine and leaves a bright shiny mix to pour into the ingot molds.