PDA

View Full Version : 245497 Heel Diameter?

Rockydog
03-07-2010, 01:54 AM
Need some new caster help. I'm attempting to cast some 245497 boolits from straight wheel weights for my 6mm TCU. The bullets are casting just slightly out of round at .245 across the bands 90* from the seam and .246+ along the seam. That's not a problem in my mind as the sizer should fix that. My question is what should these cast at the heel? No matter what brand of gas check I try they are extremely loose. This is a single cavity mold. The heel is running right at 230 90* across the seam and .233 along the seam. Checks don't clip on at all and can be pulled right off after sizing in a Homemade Lee style die that sizes at .2445. Does anybody have a spec on what the heel of a .244 bullet should run? Fillout on these bullets is decent. The heel looks nice and square on the corner but appears almost tapered. It does in fact mic at .236 right behind the rearmost driving band. Any ideas?

Second question: If I seat these with the check still in the neck. I end up with 3 grease grooves and the crimp groove outside the case. Are these exposed grooves to be lubed or unlubed? The throat on my Contender barrel is long enough to seat these out this far and still chamber.

Thanks in advance for your replies. Rockydog

GabbyM
03-07-2010, 08:32 AM
6mm gas check is supposed to be .234 i.d. Tolerance is plus zero minus .003"".

If I'm reading your dimensions right perhaps you could beagle (shim) the mould to make it more round. Enlarge that .230" dimension.

Here is a link to some information. http://www.lasc.us/IndexBrennan.htm
Scroll down the page to gas checks.

MT Gianni
03-07-2010, 04:32 PM
That is an older design I believe cut for LY tapered checks. Hornaday should fit on them but may be loose. I think Hornaday is now making both theirs and Lymans so that is out. I would begal it til the checks fit as I consider that to be very important.
Do not lube the grooves on a louverin boolit that are outside the case and your bbl will be happier. They will just catch dirt.

quack1
03-08-2010, 08:43 AM
You might try annealing a few checks and trying them. Removing any chance of spring-back might make them a little tighter. Doesn't always work, but easy to do and worth a try.