PDA

View Full Version : Thanks to BruceB, Beagle & BullShop...etc

StanDahl
03-06-2010, 10:56 PM
...the 4 "B's" for making this hobby so much more productive and enjoyable. I would be a frustrated hit-n-miss caster if not for this site and its predecessors, especially those named above. Today I cast up a pile of bullets (with lead courtesy of Axman!) and in all 3 used the BullShop lube and on one the BruceB technique, and one was Beagled to get optimum diameter.

I didn't time the whole session, but at one point, using the BruceB "Bullets Like Magic" method and a single cavity 311466, in a 5 minute period I cast 24 bullets, a rate of 288 per hour! I wasn't rushing either.

Through this site I've picked up on an incredible amount of useful information as well as met great people too. Just the other day I bought a B&M powder measure from Axman and he threw in 24 lbs of lead! Carpetman once sent me some free bullets to try in my .222. I had some gas checks to trade once and I said "just send me either $5 or a sample of each bullet you cast". Sundog sent me 5 each of what must have been 30 different bullets, each set individually wrapped. (I could go on.) Buckshot, (former) Deputy Al and Scrounger deserve special mention too, among others. Y'know, I think it's been 10 years now that I've been hanging around with this bunch of lead-spattered cranks!

Anyway, thanks everyone!

Vly
03-06-2010, 11:28 PM
Anybody who started boolit casting in the pre-Internet days knows this site is an amazing resource. Back pre-internet there were a few books and some magazine articles - that was it. You learned the hard way... the slow and painful way.

Today you would be hard pressed to pose a question that could not be answered correctly within a few hours on this site. The accumulated knowledge by the members of this site is astounding. Plus the ability to buy and sell equipment opens so many more opportunities .

Certainly an excellent group with which to be associated.

LIMPINGJ
03-07-2010, 11:36 AM
What few books on casting and trial and error were the main resources, if you were lucky you had someone show you how.