PDA

View Full Version : Help, Yet Another Whazzit ?

odoh
03-06-2010, 04:26 PM
Someday, I'm gonna settle down and leave the recycling centers alone. Went to sell CRV yesterday and checked their lead bin and retrieved some lead sheathing etc. There was a molded comercial ingot w/raised lettering " Federated Socket Metals". It weighted lil' less than 3lbs, so hard that it barely registered on the Lee hardness scale. Dimensions are 7½" Long X 2" Tall X ¾" thick. Looks ancient and concerned it might be something bad like cadmium. Never heard of Socket Metal before ~ obviously nothing to do w/artificial hip. Anyone have thot/clue what I may be dealing w/here?

RodneyUSAF
03-06-2010, 04:35 PM
You better check that one with a geiger counter! JK

odoh
03-06-2010, 05:20 PM
You better check that one with a geiger counter! JK

Just what I'd need.:Fire:

FWIW, I did do a hardness test on a NEI cert tin ingot and the unknown is much harder than the tin.

sagacious
03-06-2010, 05:37 PM
Probably a zinc alloy for securing the loose ends of cables into their anchoring sockets.

Do a search for "socket+metal" and you may find more info.

odoh
03-06-2010, 06:14 PM
about 210,000 for federated + socket + metal and about 6,100,000 for socket + metal.

I see your point tho ~ an alloy that is tuff for making, breaking connections up to and including heavy cables. Also, the physical encapsulation of wire strand ends to prevent unraveling. Did spy something about a pelvis socket in India also. Doesn't look like anything for bullets tho ~ was hoping pewter or worst case babbit however. Oh well, maybe I can move it on ebay to a collector of old ingots from Federated. Thanks ~

OldBob
03-06-2010, 07:58 PM
be sure to mention that it is 'Vintage", not old..........

odoh
03-06-2010, 08:31 PM
be sure to mention that it is 'Vintage", not old..........

Sure thing Bob ~ will honor your copywrite :bigsmyl2:

sagacious
03-06-2010, 10:00 PM
about 210,000 for federated + socket + metal and about 6,100,000 for socket + metal.

I see your point tho ~ an alloy that is tuff for making, breaking connections up to and including heavy cables. Also, the physical encapsulation of wire strand ends to prevent unraveling. Did spy something about a pelvis socket in India also. Doesn't look like anything for bullets tho ~ was hoping pewter or worst case babbit however. Oh well, maybe I can move it on ebay to a collector of old ingots from Federated. Thanks ~

Ay caramba! You can lead a horse to water... I meant a search here, not Google. ;)

You can certainly melt it and cast bullets from it as-is, but it's not something to 'sweeten' the pot-- unless you're already casting zinc.

Good luck. :drinks: