PDA

View Full Version : LLA on Speer swaged bullets?

centershot
03-06-2010, 11:49 AM
'Morning all! Going thru the ammo inventory today I spied a box of about 500 rds of 38 spl +P loads I made up as practice loads for my S&W M67 (actually made up 1500 at the time). I've been shooting the NRA lever-action rifle silhouette game for several years and started wondering if I might be able to use these loads in my Marlin 357 mag carbine for the pistol-cartridge class this year.

The load is 4.5 gr Bullseye with a Speer swaged SWC-HP bullet in a REM 38 spl case. It gives 950 fps from my 4" M67, I'm guessing around 1100 fps from the carbine. It does lead the barrel of the sixgun very slightly at the forcing cone end and I'm thinking that it's probably too fast for the carbine. Soooooo.................

I'm wondering if a dab of LLA applied to the exposed front driving band (just ahead of the crimp) would be enough extra lube to prevent lead buildup in the carbine barrel??? Anyone ever try this? [smilie=f:

Rocky Raab
03-06-2010, 12:00 PM
Like the rabbi said, "It couldn't hoit!"

HammerMTB
03-06-2010, 06:27 PM
I've used thinned LLA on Speer swaged .44 SWC boolits before. They didn't lead at all @ about 1000 FPS in my .44 and got there with a pretty swift kick from fast powder.
I don't think you'll have trouble with it. In the end I only know of 1 way for you to find out.
Try 'em..... :Fire:

Shiloh
03-06-2010, 06:53 PM
What the heck!! It can't hurt. Are those the bullets with the cross hatch pattern and dry waxy lube on them. Or are they the ones with the two small bands that look like a cannelure swaged on them??

I had still have some 148 gr. .38 wadcutters with the cross hatch pattern. They work fine with the lube on them.

SHiloh

mooman76
03-06-2010, 10:46 PM
Should work. I suggested it to someone before with a similar problem and it worked for them.

centershot
03-06-2010, 11:01 PM
Thanks guys, I'll give it a try this week.8-)