PDA

View Full Version : Making a new part look old

jcw1970
03-06-2010, 10:17 AM
I bought a new cutoff switch for my 03a3 and it really stands out. Is there a way to make it look like the rest of the gun? I know i should bite the bullet and just refinish the whole gun, but I like the way it looks.

two dogs
03-07-2010, 10:13 AM
what color are the other parts?

deltaenterprizes
03-07-2010, 10:42 AM
It most probably has a patina (rust) from actual use in the field. I would think a little vinegar left on the part for a couple of hours at a time should give that "aged " look.
Check out "rust bluing solutions", that is how it was done in the old days.

blackthorn
03-07-2010, 11:58 AM
With use of proper precautions the following mixture can be used to remove lead from the barrel of a firearm. Vinegar/peroxide (mixed 50/50) can be used to remove lead from the bore.

With some salt or Clorox mixed in (not to be used in firearm bores) the mixture is often used to etch steel reproduction items to match original finishes. This mixture will “frost” a clean piece of metal in 30 minutes or less to provide a finish that equals 120 years of rust and wear. While the same mix sans the salt or Clorox when used as a lead remover is not as corrosive, you still must use extreme caution if you intend to use a vinegar/peroxide mix to remove lead from the bore of your firearm.

If you try this mix on a leaded barrel , without the Clorox or salt of course, remember it produces Lead Acetate, which is EXTREMLY POISONOUS so take the appropriate precautions!!!

S.R.Custom
03-07-2010, 01:51 PM
Toss it in the tumbler with the next load of brass... ;)

Suo Gan
04-16-2010, 01:39 AM
Let me borrow it for a few years:kidding:

markinalpine
04-16-2010, 12:08 PM
After you chemically age it, you might try polishing those places that normally get wear during use* with some rough cloth such as old blue jean fabric and a mild abrasive, (eg Flitz, J-B Bore-Paste.) *I mean the edges that are exposed and get rubbed during normal use.
Mark :coffeecom

gnoahhh
04-17-2010, 11:13 AM
Take it out back and piss on it and leave it lay a day or two. Card off the rust with steel wool.

runfiverun
04-17-2010, 04:38 PM
give it to your kids for a day or so.

JIMinPHX
04-18-2010, 03:58 AM
I'm not sure what part you are talking about, so I don't know if it is heat treated or not. If it's not heat treated, then roasting it with a propane torch will put some age on it pretty quickly. I've done that in the past when mounting an antique lock with a mixture of old & new screws. After the torch trick, you didn't know which ones were the originals & which ones weren't.

Don't do this if the part is, or might be, heat treated.