PDA

View Full Version : RCBS ChargeMaster Powder 1500 Scale/Dispenser Combo

ghh3rd
03-06-2010, 12:02 AM
Yahoo! I just ordered an RCBS ChargeMaster Powder 1500 Scale/Dispenser Combo. It's on sale at Cabellas for $40 off, plus another $10 rebate AND free shipping! I was going to order a Lyman 4500 Lube Sizer, but this caught my eye so looks like I'll be continuing to rub lube by hand or pan lubing for a while.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0028425215502a&type=product&cmCat=SEARCH_all&returnPage=search-results1.jsp&Ntt=215502&Ntk=Product_liberal&sort=all&Go.y=9&N=0&Nty=1&hasJS=true&_dyncharset=ISO-8859-1&Go.x=8&_DARGS=%2Fcabelas%2Fen%2Fcommon%2Fsearch%2Fsearch-box.jsp.form1

I hope this thing works as good as the reviews I read about it. It should be a bit faster and more fun to use than my Lee "Perfect Powder Measure" and "Safety Powder Scale". Can't wait to start using it :-)

cbrick
03-06-2010, 01:12 AM
I've been using one for a few years now but I only use it with hard to meter stick powders such as 4759 and the like, ball powders are faster using a conventional powder measure.

Rick

Rocky Raab
03-06-2010, 10:56 AM
Dispensing may be faster with a drum measure, but dispensing and weighing/trickling are faster with a digital system, hands down.

I still have the original RCBS units and am completely happy with them. I'm probably going to give the hew Hornady unit a workout soon, and have never tried a Lyman or the new PACT.

BTW, the 1500 is on sale because RCBS is about to come out with e third-generation unit. That was sort of semi-unofficially confirmed at SHOT. (They wouldn't comment, but they smiled wryly when asked.)

ghh3rd
03-06-2010, 08:06 PM
Rocky - tried to look at your web site but it's blank.

prickett
03-06-2010, 08:47 PM
Yahoo! I just ordered an RCBS ChargeMaster Powder 1500 Scale/Dispenser Combo. It's on sale at Cabellas for $40 off, plus another $10 rebate AND free shipping! I was going to order a Lyman 4500 Lube Sizer, but this caught my eye so looks like I'll be continuing to rub lube by hand or pan lubing for a while.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0028425215502a&type=product&cmCat=SEARCH_all&returnPage=search-results1.jsp&Ntt=215502&Ntk=Product_liberal&sort=all&Go.y=9&N=0&Nty=1&hasJS=true&_dyncharset=ISO-8859-1&Go.x=8&_DARGS=%2Fcabelas%2Fen%2Fcommon%2Fsearch%2Fsearch-box.jsp.form1

I hope this thing works as good as the reviews I read about it. It should be a bit faster and more fun to use than my Lee "Perfect Powder Measure" and "Safety Powder Scale". Can't wait to start using it :-)

Congrats! I've had one for a year or so and have NO regrets. Its a great piece of kit.

Heavy lead
03-06-2010, 08:51 PM
You'll love this thing. Bought mine when my Lyman took a dump, it owed me nothing, it was the auto dispenser with the balance scale. I like the RCBS better. Just wonderfull for extruded powder.

Suo Gan
08-14-2010, 11:48 PM
I am always behind the curve, but my new chargemaster is a great tool! Better late than never. I wish I would have went for one a sooner!

Bradley
08-15-2010, 12:43 AM
The Hornady equivalent is better and costs less.

dromia
08-15-2010, 01:36 AM
In what ways is the Hornady better, I've been loooking for a head to head comparison but haven't seen one yet.

If you would oblige Bradley I would be grateful.

Suo Gan
08-15-2010, 02:10 AM
A little competition never hurt anyone that's for sure. I researched it a bit before deciding and still went with green. The Hornady has a triple speed drop rate for different load settings. For the RCBS you need to reprogram it, some say this is simple, dunno. I feel it drops fast enough for my purposes. Has been flawless, effortless, user friendly, and has cut my loading time significantly.

PS they can be had in the $250 range on sale and RCBS has a $10 off coupon right now too.

winelover
08-15-2010, 07:58 AM
GO GREEN--I love mine and you can't beat their warrenty and CUSTOMER SERVICE!

Winelover

gray wolf
08-15-2010, 08:54 AM
Ditto on the green

dromia
08-15-2010, 10:38 AM
GO GREEN--I love mine and you can't beat their warrenty and CUSTOMER SERVICE!

Winelover

I seem to recall that their warranty is limited on their electronic scales and dispensers. Can anyone confirm or deny this?

Butler Ford
08-15-2010, 10:58 AM
I had all but quit reloading because of drop, balance weigh and trickle. Loading only the basic essentials and no experimenting with different powder, bullet, and all of the other fun stuff. When I picked up the RCBS 1500 combo a few years ago, it got to be fun again. When this one dies, I will replace it with another RCBS.

Reloader06
08-15-2010, 11:45 PM
Dromia
I was told by RCBS customer service that anything electronic was covered for 2 years.

Matt

gray wolf
08-16-2010, 09:52 AM
I was told by RCBS--
1 year and after that is was $45.00 to fix or replace the unit.

Rocky Raab
08-16-2010, 10:42 AM
I just reviewed the Hornady unit. Bottom line: I like it a lot.

I used the original RCBS Powdermaster for more than 10 years before it stopped working right (won't trickle). I have never used either a Lyman or the new RCBS, so I can't make a head-head judgment. But the Hornady is a better machine than the old RCBS.

It's "three speeds" has nothing to do with how fast the motor/output tube turns (which confusingly enough DOES have three speeds). What you actually select is the "lead" time before the unit goes to trickle mode. SLOW mode goes to trickle 1.5 grains before the set charge weight. NORMAL switches at 1.0 grain ahead, and FAST at a half grain.

Suo Gan
08-17-2010, 03:21 PM
To me it looks like the best thing about the new Hornady is the fact that RCBS had to drop their prices to compete with it. I just cannot imagine a better unit than the Chargemaster. But if the Hornady is better, it is a heck of a machine at a great bargain! From what I gather (and watched on Youtube) it is fairly easy to reprogram the 3 speeds of the chargemaster as well.

I have not been able to come up with a head to head comparison between the two, it would be interesting to see how they differ. I noticed that the Hornady unit says that it only takes five minutes to warm up and calibrate, the RCBS unit takes about 30 seconds. They both will give a charge without pushing a button, they both have 3 speeds. Might be a Ford, Chevy thing.

Rocky Raab
08-17-2010, 03:36 PM
I'd have done a head-to-head, but didn't feel like buying both to do so. And now that I have the Hornady, I'm not inclined to want to.