PDA

View Full Version : Any suggestions?

sirgknight
03-05-2010, 02:35 PM
I recently purchased this mold and it is filthy. What can I use to clean it and make it look a little better?

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h241/sirgknight/DSCI0044.jpg

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h241/sirgknight/DSCI0043.jpg

A^K
03-05-2010, 02:41 PM
try WD-40 or similar rust removers

fourarmed
03-05-2010, 03:22 PM
Steel wool dipped in light oil. For the cavities, chuck a brass bristle brush in a drill, dip it in light oil and spin in the cavities. Degrease, and cast.

454PB
03-05-2010, 03:31 PM
Looks like a Lee aluminum mould, so that's not rust. It's the burned on lube somebody used. Try Gunscrubber and a stiff nylon brush, and emory cloth if that doesn't get it all.

I quit lubing my Lee moulds many years ago, and they work much better now.

mold maker
03-05-2010, 03:46 PM
If what ever is on them, doesn't keep them from making good boolits, I'd apply lots of hot lead and enjoy the results. Your targets will never know the difference.
On the other hand, if the cavities are fouled, be very cautious. Over aggressive cleaning can destroy sharp edges and increase diameters. A good soaking in mineral spirits might soften waxes and make removal easier.

sirgknight
03-05-2010, 04:28 PM
This is a Lee aluminum mold and the bullet cavities are all ok...actually, they are in very good condition. It's definitely burned on lubes, etc. and very difficult to remove. Haven't tried the steel wool, but will definitely give it a try. Thanks.

sirgknight
03-05-2010, 04:30 PM
By the way, would it hurt to remove the sprue handle and drop the mould into boiling water for a few minutes?

rbuck351
03-06-2010, 06:40 AM
You say the cavities are good, so leave it alone as it won't affect casting and cleaning it up may if your too aggressive. If you insist on trying something, use q-tips and brake klean, acetone,gasoline or some such non abrasive and non acid solvent.

Marlin Hunter
03-06-2010, 01:13 PM
By the way, would it hurt to remove the sprue handle and drop the mould into boiling water for a few minutes?

NO it would not hurt. It may be hard to remove the screw. The 2 cavity molds have hard to remove screws, but I don't own a 6 cavity mold. Boiling in water would clean a lot of it off. You can add a little soap but be warned about foam/boil over. I boiled some boolits with lube and they came out spotless.

chrisx1
03-06-2010, 10:49 PM
Use some brake clean or carb cleaner - nylon bristle brush at most. If it casts well now - LEAVE IT ALONE!! - you might screw something up trying to clean it!! [smilie=l:

mold maker
03-06-2010, 10:57 PM
NO it would not hurt. It may be hard to remove the screw. The 2 cavity molds have hard to remove screws, but I don't own a 6 cavity mold. Boiling in water would clean a lot of it off. You can add a little soap but be warned about foam/boil over. I boiled some boolits with lube and they came out spotless.

A few drops of fabric softner will kill the suds. Suds can't exist without surface tension. Just don't over do it.
It may even help clean the crud from the mold.

HeavyMetal
03-07-2010, 12:23 PM
I'd be very careful using any type of abrasive on the mold area that the sprue plate come in contact with.

The exception to this would be to strip off everything on the top of the mold and get some 1800 grit sand paper and a piece of glass and do the figure 8 thing until the top is clean.

This will keep the surface flat and square and do this with the blocks held squarely together!

This is burned on lube and the results of following Lee's instructions when setting up the
mold.

This can and will make things sticky and hard to close. The lube used was a wax base and no solvent will "melt" that or soften it.

If ou get this mold cleaned use a very light application of Antisieze on the pivot points and be very careful not to get it in the cavities, a little goes a very long way.

John Guedry
03-07-2010, 03:59 PM
I'm of the school of thought that says brake part cleaner and super fine steel wool.

sirgknight
03-07-2010, 11:25 PM
Well I took the advice of several of you and just cast some bullets with it. Amazingly the mould cast some of the most fantastic bullets I have ever cast. I started out wanting to make a couple a hundred or so and wound up with a little over 2,000. If it hadn't been for my old arms giving out I'd probably still be casting. Guess I'll just leave the mould as is.....if it aint' broke, don't fix it!!!! Don't worry, I use these bullets in my Ruger 9mm and my .38 wheel gun. It makes for a very good target round. Thanks for all the good suggestions and advice.