PDA

View Full Version : new member looking for Promo in NW Tennesee

ulav8r
03-05-2010, 01:58 PM
Just joined, have read for awhile mostly about casting. Posted here because of more activity than on the reloading components forum. Have cast .30 150grn and .429 214grn, like my Lee moulds. Recently got a .375? 255 grn mould but haven't tried it out yet.

Am looking for Alliant Promo powder, will be traveling through Union City and Paris to Clarksville next week. May go to Gamaliel, KY to get Promo at $85/8lbs if I can,t find it along the way. It will take 10-11 gallons of gas to go on to Gamaliel so I could pay a little extra if it was not out of the way. Made a pit stop at Gander Mountain at Jackson week before last. No powder on the floor.

My spell checker only recognizes bullet and I will probably leave it that way, otherwise this is a great site and I have learned a bit from it. Have about 3 gallons of wheel weights to smelt if I can find my muffin pan or get a replacement. Managed to find some 95% tin solder recently at $6.50 per lb so should be able to get good fill when I start casting again.

Made a batch of lubricant many long years ago, consisted of beeswax, white parrafin, and wheel bearing grease. Worked fine for plinking loads but will soon need more. Does anyone have a good recipe for an economical lube?

TIA for any help you can give.

45nut
03-05-2010, 02:03 PM
My spell checker only recognizes bullet and I will probably leave it that way, otherwise this is a great site and I have learned a bit from it.

We really don't care how you spell it,, not like other sites that contain folks that want to string you up for using "boolit". Main thing here is learning and sharing what you can and having a safe, fun and productive time producing your own lead projectiles.

Welcome to the site!

Check out the area dedicated to lubes and certainly check out the classics and stickies area.

emorris
03-05-2010, 03:22 PM
ulav8r Gander mt in jackson has changed their showroom floor. the powder was once kelpt on the back wall, but now it is in a small cabinet behind where they keep their bullets. I was there a couple of weeks ago and had no idea of the remodeling. I also searched for the magic powder until i stumbled upon the cabinet. It was unmarked and the only reason i opened it was out of courisety. I dont recall any promo powder though, but they have had it in the post. Also while i was there they were stocking a shipment of primers and powder. There is a bass pro shop in memphis tn. it is about sixty miles west of jackson. They did have promo the last time i was there and they are cheapier on their powder. powder valley has promo in stock for 82.60 for 8#.

AZ-Stew
03-05-2010, 04:09 PM
My spell checker only recognizes bullet and I will probably leave it that way,

Run spell check on "boolit". When the box pops up and tells you it's misspelled, check the box and see if there's an "add" feature. This will let you add "boolit" as a correctly spelled word. In the future it won't flag "boolit" as misspelled.

Does anyone have a good recipe for an economical lube? TIA for any help you can give.

See: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/forumdisplay.php?f=58 on this forum. Lots o' info on rolling your own.

And, welcome aboard!

Regards,

Stew

ulav8r
03-05-2010, 04:33 PM
Took a quick look at the lube forum. Very intersting. I will check it closer before trying another batch of lube.

higgins
03-05-2010, 04:58 PM
Check Midsouth Shooters Supply at midsouthshooterssupply.com. They're in Clarksville, just SE of town just off I-24. They don't have a retail showroom, but will sell powder at a walk-in counter if you make arrangements about 24hrs ahead of time. You'll pay TN sales tax, but that's a lot less than hazmat shipping.

jsizemore
03-05-2010, 09:30 PM
Go to the bottom of this page and click on LAR'S 45/ LS Stuff for lube. Send Glenn an email and let him know what you shoot and he can send you a sampler to cover your needs. It's tough to make for less then he charges.

44fanatic
03-05-2010, 11:29 PM
Midsouth is the place. If you are coming up Hwy 79, just as you get into Clarksville, there is an Allens Gun shop, they may have some there. Also have Tennessee Gun Country, didnt see any there but wasnt looking for Promo.

Whats bringing you up to Clarksville?

ulav8r
03-08-2010, 09:24 PM
Checked Mid-South website the other day, they only showed one powder in stock.

I'm coming over for a job interview.

44fanatic
03-08-2010, 10:17 PM
Good luck on the job interview. Hopefully I will be hearing something soon on one for me.