PDA

View Full Version : Powder Valley

BruceB
03-05-2010, 11:07 AM
.....is a component supplier in Kansas, whose main product line is the reloading powders from most major manufacturers.

With all the complaints from MANY people about the non-availability of powder for handloading, I thought my experience with PV might be of value.

First, up to 48 pounds of powder can be shipped with a single $25 hazardous materials fee. I put together a group of my pals at work, and we ordered 48 pounds of assorted powder. It arrived yesterday via Fed-Ex, $25 haz-mat charge and $19.95 shipping, total $44.95 for 48 pounds! Less than ONE dollar per pound, from Kansas to NEVADA!

That might not seem like such a screaming deal, except for (a) the price of the powder and (b) that fact that it is AVAILABLE.

An 8-pound jug of H335 was $126, plus $8 shipping.....$134/8 = SEVENTEEN dollars per pound!

A 4-pounder of Unique was $54 plus $4 shipping ....$58/4 = fourteen dollars per pound.

An 8-pounder of IMR 4064 was $134+$8 = $142/8 = a bit less than $18 per pound.

These prices (delivered, yet) are as much as ten dollars per pound less than local pricing for the same stuff, IF it's available locally.

Obviously, with the haz-mat charge being the same for ONE pound as it is for 48 pounds, it makes sense to assemble as large an order as possible. Also, the availability of the various types changes rapidly....I think PV updates their availables-list daily. Calling the order in makes good sense too.

For the customer's first order, an ID of some sort is needed. I sent a copy of my driver's license. Once they had the ID, shipping was very fast, about three days or so.

This was a very satisfying deal with Powder Valley. I'll be ordering from them again, I'm sure.

www.powdervalleyinc.com

Uncle Grinch
03-05-2010, 11:17 AM
I used them a couple of years ago for a group order of H4821SC and Varget. It was a smooth transaction with no problems.

While I try to support my local shops, they could not match the price or availability.

257 Shooter
03-05-2010, 11:18 AM
Bruce, thanks for the info. With the cost of gas, gun show entry fee and time buying from PV makes good sense if all you need is powder.

skeet1
03-05-2010, 12:06 PM
I live within range of Powder Valley and have driven there and picked up at their business. Even though I do not buy large amounts they are always pleasant and helpful.

When you go to their web site you will find that they have a fairly good assortment of Wolf primers in stock. www.powdervalleyinc.com/

Skeet1

dragonrider
03-05-2010, 12:48 PM
Darn, can't get there from my work computer.

03-05-2010, 01:06 PM
Son-in-law and I placed a powder and primer order, with them. With the Haz-Mat and shipping fees, the items still cost less then buying from the closest store, which is 20-miles away. Their prices are extremely competitive and the service and shipping speed was excellent. I will use them again.

Recluse
03-05-2010, 01:14 PM
Powder Valley has been my number-one go-to supplier for a lot of things, and for a lot of years.

BUT. . .I do have to state that I am incredibly frustrated by their inability to get any primers in, other than Wolf--of which I am not a fan.

I'm finding CCI, Federal and Remington primers at a lot of other places (online) as well as off-the-shelf at various gun stores. Winchester remains elusive, naturally, since it is my favorite primer. [smilie=b:

They are grade-A top-shelf folks working there, no doubt. I have never had a bad experience with them.

But if only they could get some primers in . . .

:coffee:

lwknight
03-05-2010, 01:14 PM
I've ordered from Powdervallyinc too. It was all good.

fredj338
03-05-2010, 02:29 PM
PV is a great group to deal with. YOu can combine primer & pwoder in one order to spread the HM & shipping. Order 10 units (1K primers or 1# of powder) spread the per unit cost to $3-$4/ unit, still cheaper than buying locally, especially in high st states like Kommiefornia.

Randall
03-05-2010, 05:43 PM
Powder Valley is a great place to buy from.I have used them for years.I usually order ahead of the big tulsa gun show and they bring it to be picked up in person.I know they will go out of their way for customer satisfaction too. They are the first place I go for reloading.

bullshot
03-05-2010, 06:09 PM
I also have had good dealings with Powder Valley!!

zardoz
03-05-2010, 06:58 PM
Received an order a couple of weeks ago. Just 3 lbs of powder, and 4K primers. When I figured it all up, with Hazmat, it was less expensive than local prices or gunshow, plus travel, and other costs.

Well worth it to me, as no one around here had the specific type powders I was looking for anyway.

wiljen
03-05-2010, 07:14 PM
I've dealt with PV no less than 10 times and have never had a less than sterling experience with them. I cannot speak highly enough of them.

BCB
03-05-2010, 07:14 PM
I ordered from there many many years ago--long before there was hardly any haz-met fees at all. My main powder from them was H-335--surplus. Couldn't even find it around here and local deals simply would not order large kegs of powder--don't know why. I even offered to pay in advance, but they wanted no part of it...

I ordered from Powder Valley when they were called Dexter Automotive...

Might have to check them out again--do they handle any surplus powders?...

BCB

Cherokee
03-05-2010, 07:45 PM
PV good service and fast shipping. I'll use them again when I need stuff. My batch of Wolf primers (15,000) work great.

LIMPINGJ
03-05-2010, 08:59 PM
I have to drive from E TX to Wichita,KS 3 times a year so make the little detour by there whenever supplies are low.

wistlepig1
03-05-2010, 10:16 PM
I will go with the crowd on this one PV are good people and fast.

Buckshot
03-06-2010, 03:53 AM
.............Besides being able to shoot EVERY Tuesday with a great bunch of guys (Burrito Shooters) who ALL shot cast and cast their own (well except one guy who bought his) and reloaded, we all pretty much liked the same types of firearms. As a result it was generally no issue to put together a components order of some size.

I don't know if they still offer it as I haven't paid attention recently but Graf & Sons used to offer a small pallet pallet order of 96 lbs. You paid one haz-mat and they paid the freight. That was 12 eight pound jugs so with paid frt the (at the time) $15 haz mat was about a buck a jug. In addition (this was in the '90's) there was a pretty nice assortment of surplus powders available. With Bartlett and Hi-Tech paying the freight on a 4 jug case I recall that WC860, and WC872 came to $3.28/lb shipped including haz mat :-)

If you can get a few guys together to split the freight and haz mat, by some judicious price comparisons, watching freight and hazmat prepaids you can get powder, primers and projectiles for a darn good prices.

..............Buckshot

mstarling
03-06-2010, 04:20 AM
Have been buying from them since the late 80s. If they have what I want, they've never disappointed me. Fine folks!

Mike

recycledelectrons
03-06-2010, 05:15 AM
I've dealt with Powder Valley Inc many times. I've always been pleased. They S/H includes a hazmat fee, but then the rest of the S/H is less than I would have expected.

Hardcast416taylor
03-06-2010, 09:07 AM
Even this old man can`t say anything bad about them and their service.Robert

adkpete
03-06-2010, 09:28 AM
With the prices of powder in my area right around $30. It pays to order from Powder Valley

Shiloh
03-06-2010, 09:42 AM
Dealt with them several times.

Last purchase was 32 lbs of powder split 3 ways.
As stated in the original post, if you can get a couple of shooters together for a mini "Group Buy"
the shipping charges are mollified.

Good Company. Purchased bulk Hornady match boolits last year as a respectable price.

SHiloh

lawhetzel
03-06-2010, 10:30 AM
Powder Valley is a great company to deal with. Their prices are reasonable and shipping rates, when spread out over a large "buddy buy" is not outrageous. I highly recommend them.

Green Frog
03-06-2010, 03:33 PM
Made a couple of "mini-group" buys from them, getting H-108 until the last time I ordered and finished cleaning them out! :( Sure wish they still had that old stand-by for me. :cry: They were always fine for us to deal with, even shipping halfway across the country and paying HAZMAT fees (that they couldn't control anyway.) They get my vote for good business practice. :mrgreen:

Froggie

Hiaboo
03-06-2010, 11:29 PM
Great company, no doubt about it.

Ole
03-06-2010, 11:47 PM
Yup i've all but quit buying $20-25/lb powder at the local stores.

Find something you like, that works for several cartridges, and buy an 8lb jug (or two) online.

Powder keeps a very long time if you keep it cool and dry.

JSimpson65
03-07-2010, 12:36 AM
Count me in as a satisfied customer of Powder Valley as well. In the past, I've always purchased locally, but last week priced AA5744 and local supplier was almost $10/pound higher. Needless to say, I came up with a list of about 10lbs. of various powders, placed my order and received it yesterday. I'm all for supporting my local suppliers, but it's pretty hard to justify a 50%, or more markup versus buying online.

myg30
03-07-2010, 09:27 AM
JS65, you hit the nail on the head ! Some of the locals here gouge worse then some private sellers and gas stations !
I like to remember "THESE PEOPLE" after the rush is over and prices settle down, I remind them of the inflated prices they were trying to get away with and let them know they made me do my business ELSE WHERE !
I have not forgotten the $125 13rd 45 cal glock mags either !!!

PV and Graf are both great to deal with!!

Mike

Down South
03-07-2010, 10:59 AM
I use PV exclusively for my powder and primer needs. I'll wait till I need a large order such as 5,000 to 10,000 primers & 16lb or better of powder. I offset the Hazmat and shipping by the sales tax that I save. Plus the price per lb is MUCH cheaper that what I can find it for around here if I can find it at all. Primer prices are much cheaper too.
I haven’t made but one large order since the Obamination. I had stocked up before the election was over fearing things would happen as they did.

For the guy that posted above, I’m not sure about this but I do think you can get CCI primers from PV. As long as the primer that you are looking for is listed on their site you can still order it. It may take a few weeks to get since they have to operate in a backordered state for the time being. I believe that PV is getting primers in but their backlog is keeping them from actually being able to list many primers as in stock.

dogfood
03-07-2010, 09:14 PM
Well, it's rare we can't find at least one person that isn't happy about a particular company/vendor/supplier ... but I am not that person.

We (shooting friends and I) have placed 3 bulk orders over the last 5 years. We mixed all sorts of primers and powders. When we had a pretty good list, I emailed PV for an estimated shipping weight - to ensure we weren't over the 48 lb. limit. Everything went as smooth as can be.

Yes, they are currently receiving Remington, Winchester, CCI and Federal primers, but there are none on the shelf. You can order them, and PV will hold your order until everything arrives, so that you don't get hit twice on shipping/HazMat.

dogfood

GSM
03-08-2010, 12:50 AM
PV is a solid bunch. Did a "group buy" with several folks for primers - when they were available. 50k (unless you get Federals) split amongst 6-7 buyers isn't quite so bitter.

Good folks for j-word bullets as well.

healey55
03-08-2010, 12:49 PM
I have no complaints about PV. I did buy some (5,000) small rifle wolf primers from them and they seem to work extremely well in the couple hundred I have tried so far. The fit the primer pockets well and accuracy is as good or better than any other primers I have tried.. the primers I don't like are CCI.. Had more problems with them than any others. Federal are great.