PDA

View Full Version : .45@less than 950fps on deer....

Butcher45
03-04-2010, 06:13 PM
Please post your detailed results on deer using .45 slugs going no faster than 950fps here. Can't wait to here the stories.

jhalcott
03-04-2010, 10:09 PM
Only one I have is a road hit deer that took one 45/200 at ~925fps to dispatch it.

Dutchman
03-05-2010, 12:39 AM
Get a copy of Elmer Keith's "Sixguns".

If it had 4 legs he killed it with a .45 Colt or .44 Special 250 gr lead bullet. It'll do a full grown horse or steer at close range with ease. Read what Elmer said and join the church.

Dutch

Butcher45
03-05-2010, 01:48 AM
Read what Elmer said and join the church.

Dutch

Oh I'm already there brother.

Just gathering more info for my records (and to show the non-believers).

My next bigbore (.452) air rifle is going to throw a 250-260grainer at somewhere around 900-950fps. Some people will say that won't cut it for hunting deer and hogs at 50 yards:rolleyes:.

warf73
03-05-2010, 05:25 AM
Some people will say that won't cut it for hunting deer and hogs at 50 yards:rolleyes:.

Better place your shot well on that hog I've seen first hand a hog take a 45LC to the forhead at 2 feet and run away.

I would make sure its legal to take deer were you live with an air rifle, just to be safe.

NickSS
03-05-2010, 06:29 AM
General Custer put himself afoot when he shot his own horse in the head with his 44 C&B revolver when chasing buffalo. The army load would give a 219 gr slug about 750 fps. By the way I killed a deer at 15 yards with a 38 cal Model 36 S&W loaded with 135 gr SWC and 3.5 gr of Red Dot. I also killed a deer with a 45 auto at 20 feet with a load of a 200 gr speer hollow point over 5 gr of Unique. It is not hard to kill a deer if you hit it in the chest and wait for it to bleed out. However, I do not advocate using low power handguns for hunting generally.

Adam10mm
03-05-2010, 12:01 PM
Took out a deer with a headshot at fairly close range with a .45 Glock 30. Was taking a leak and left my rifle in the blind. Had my G30 on me loaded with 9.5gr HS6 and a 200gr XTP. One shot killed it just fine.

tek4260
03-05-2010, 01:14 PM
I have killed 6 deer in the past 2 seasons with handguns. All but 2 were with a 45 Colt loaded with 325s over 23 gr of H110. They aren't much faster than the 950 you specified since I am shooting them out of 4 5/8" Rugers and most of my shots are at 75 to 100 yards. I figure they have slowed a good bit at that range. I have yet to have one fall at the shot. I love to hunt with a handgun and place my shots well, but I hate the way they run off! Especially considering how thick it is where I hunt. They rarely go over 20 yards but that is a long way with no blood trail. Or, at least it seems at the time.

Butcher45
03-05-2010, 02:17 PM
Better place your shot well on that hog I've seen first hand a hog take a 45LC to the forhead at 2 feet and run away.

I would make sure its legal to take deer were you live with an air rifle, just to be safe.

I would be shooting smaller boars, and sows in the body. I'd avoid the forehead, and shield on large boars.

It's legal to hunt deer with air rifles in several states.....just not my own (yet). Gotta talk the fish and wildlife people into it. Another use for this post.

Butcher45
03-05-2010, 02:19 PM
General Custer put himself afoot when he shot his own horse in the head with his 44 C&B revolver when chasing buffalo. The army load would give a 219 gr slug about 750 fps.

That's exactly the power of my current air rifle. Killed a ram, a boar, and a coyote with it amongst other things.

Remember guys, .45@no faster than 950fps.

Butcher45
03-05-2010, 02:29 PM
I have killed 6 deer in the past 2 seasons with handguns. All but 2 were with a 45 Colt loaded with 325s over 23 gr of H110. They aren't much faster than the 950 you specified since I am shooting them out of 4 5/8" Rugers and most of my shots are at 75 to 100 yards. I figure they have slowed a good bit at that range. I have yet to have one fall at the shot. I love to hunt with a handgun and place my shots well, but I hate the way they run off! Especially considering how thick it is where I hunt. They rarely go over 20 yards but that is a long way with no blood trail. Or, at least it seems at the time.

What design of 325grainer are you using?

tek4260
03-05-2010, 04:08 PM
Keith style by LBT

Hardcast416taylor
03-05-2010, 04:35 PM
I use the following for the past 20 + years in one form or another.

RCBS, currently, 255 gr. pb with air cooled ww alloy with my own reciepe lube over 6.5 gr. Red Dot in Winch. brass with Winch. primers. I get a tad better than 925 fps. Have taken 2 deer so far with this load and it is my carry load otherwise. The old factory load was about 900 fps, 6 gr. of Red Dot does the same. Managable recoil and hits like a ball peen hammer to the head.Robert

Crash_Corrigan
03-06-2010, 12:46 PM
RE: Bill W above.

I had loaded some .44 Special rounds for my Charter Arms Bulldog Pug with 6.5 gr of Unique with a 256 GR Mihec Molded Lead boolit. They about took off my hand with nasty recoil. I had gotten this loading from the powder manfacturers website and it was really too hot a load for this light revolver. I am talking about pain throughout the hand and forarm even wearing a shooting glove. Forget about a second well aimed shot within a reasonable time. Nasty.

I pulled some rounds apart and tried again with 4.5 and 5.0 grs of Unique and used them again yesterday. Yes....this combo worked well and delivered the rounds to the target areas with accuracy and acceptable levels of recoil and comfort. I am too old and fragile for those Elmer Keith boomer loadings anymore.

However I will need to work some with milk jugs fulla water and some soaked telephone books to see if my HP open up with any kinda regularity at these loadings.

I do know that anything over 5.5 gr of Unique is a mite much for this lighweight carry gun and so I will tend to keep below that threshold.

jtaylor1960
03-06-2010, 09:21 PM
I have a Ruger 45 Colt 4 5/8" in stainless on the way.I have a few good molds to try including a 300gr. LBT.

outdoorfan
03-06-2010, 10:05 PM
I have a Ruger 45 Colt 4 5/8" in stainless on the way.I have a few good molds to try including a 300gr. LBT.

"300 LBT". Which version?

jtaylor1960
03-06-2010, 11:17 PM
It is a LFN with a .45 nose in plain base.

BD
03-06-2010, 11:28 PM
I took a 200 lb doe @ 20 yards in the garden with a 1911 using surplus military ball. 4 fast rounds in the boiler room and she was DRT. One shot might have done it, but it was dark, times were tough and I didn't have all night. That family needed the meat.
BD

Tom_et
03-09-2010, 09:00 AM
I would be shooting smaller boars, and sows in the body. I'd avoid the forehead, and shield on large boars.

It's legal to hunt deer with air rifles in several states.....just not my own (yet). Gotta talk the fish and wildlife people into it. Another use for this post.

Little Pig, Big Pig,
I'm sorry but find that a tough call that the forehead shots well not Kill
at the very least knock them pretty much cold and finish with one in the ear
We have started to use 22-250 and 243 and If we are far enough away
your able to take a few before they clear out
What happens is they will either continue to eat or split for a minute or 2 then come back in ,next to their Sleeping Brother and then I'll Spank another LOL

Sorry to derail
I came here after doing a search for 45 Colt I'm new to the CB loading and was interested in Load info

Thanks
Tommyt

Butcher45
03-09-2010, 03:31 PM
Little Pig, Big Pig,
I'm sorry but find that a tough call that the forehead shots well not Kill
at the very least knock them pretty much cold and finish with one in the ear
We have started to use 22-250 and 243 and If we are far enough away
your able to take a few before they clear out
What happens is they will either continue to eat or split for a minute or 2 then come back in ,next to their Sleeping Brother and then I'll Spank another LOL

Sorry to derail
I came here after doing a search for 45 Colt I'm new to the CB loading and was interested in Load info

Thanks
Tommyt

Oh I know the forehead shot will work if you hit it flat, and not at to much of an angle. That's the shot placement I used for my smaller boar. I just figure there's more risk involved with the heavier skull of a large boar. If the perfect angle was there, and I didn't think it would move then I may take that shot but they seem to be moving all the time so I'd feel better with a body shot.

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x65/butcher45/Headshot.jpg

Marlin Junky
03-09-2010, 08:00 PM
Butcher45,

What .45 caliber air rifle are you referring to that will drive a 250 grain boolit at 900+ fps?

I need something for coyote hunting in suburban areas that can be silenced.

MJ

Butcher45
03-09-2010, 09:17 PM
Butcher45,

What .45 caliber air rifle are you referring to that will drive a 250 grain boolit at 900+ fps?

I need something for coyote hunting in suburban areas that can be silenced.

MJ

I'm talking about the Gargoyle. I think the DAQ can do it, too.

No way are you going to silence that type of airgun LOL! They are about as loud as a sub-sonic gun gets, and put out to much power for a shroud to handle. Those .45 slugs ricochet to much for use in a suburban area anyway. IMO you need a .25 tops (or maybe a .32 shooting roundball) for suburban stuff and then only in some situations.

Wireman134
03-09-2010, 09:52 PM
PCP airgun's are loud, yes they are, considered firearms in many areas you know.

Marlin Junky
03-09-2010, 10:07 PM
Butcher45,

Yeah, I really wasn't thinking .45 for my purpose... more like a .35 so I can cast boolits for it. I'm afraid any airgun set up for 9mm pellets will have a hard time doing 900-1000 fps with 125-ish grain .35 caliber boolits though. Too bad there's no airgun out there that'll handle 32-20 type boolits at subsonic .22 rimfire-like velocities. The .308 DAQ looks like it might do 900+ fps with a light .30 boolit but I'm not on his waiting list. My best bet may be a super accurate .22 or .25 with an aimpoint between the coyote's eyes. They do tend to look at me for a second or two when I hit them with a flash light so the ability to mount a light on the rifle is almost required... +1 for the AirForce Condor. Sorry for taking the thread off topic. Send me a PM if you want to reply.

MJ

Marlin Junky
03-09-2010, 10:09 PM
PCP airgun's are loud, yes they are, considered firearms in many areas you know.

Not where I live; however, I would need to silence it for use on coyotes.

MJ

Tom_et
03-10-2010, 08:43 PM
I lost track of this post WOW thats one heck of a Air gun
You spanked the hog
I guess I did read it I was thinking Powder driven
But I guess it don't matter whats Driving it
Speeding by Air or Powered still adds up to speeding
I see this is derailing but can any of you send me a Link
Or post a little more on the gun

Tommyt

Butcher45
03-10-2010, 08:50 PM
You spanked the hog

Tommyt

Go to my profile, and look thru my posting history. You'll find some stuff pretty quick. I'll post my latest testing right now (titled "Hollowpoint/Alloy-Velocity/Accuracy (4-Way) Testing").

Marlin Junky
03-10-2010, 08:51 PM
You spanked the hog

Tommyt

Here's the rifle Butcher45 is talking about:

https://gargoyleairgun.com/Home_Page.html

MJ

Butcher45
03-10-2010, 09:31 PM
Here's the rifle Butcher45 is talking about:

https://gargoyleairgun.com/Home_Page.html

MJ

Yep the Gargoyle should duplicate the original .45Colt ballistics using the right fill pressure. I don't own one of those yet.

I used my power-tuned Sam Yang (and a 228grain Lyman#452066/#45266, whichever one has the bevel base from LeftoverDJ) to kill the hog. That slug was going somewhere around 700fps.

tactikel
03-10-2010, 09:57 PM
.45 LC, .44-40, .44 SPL all throw lead at about 950 fps. Each has taken thousands of deer over the years. I doubt you can take this data and apply it to an airgun meaningfully. A 250 gr SWC, or a 240 gr JHP @ 950 fps would surely kill a deer, what type of projectile do you plan to shoot? Calculate the weight and velocity to get foot-pounds of energy vs the above. Then test your projectiles as far as penetration. You may have something there! Be sure to follow all game laws in your state (I can't even find info on airguns on the DNR site!) and only take ethical shots. I can see using it for varmints (Coyote or small hogs) but would hate to see you wound and lose a nice doe.

Butcher45
03-10-2010, 10:15 PM
.45 LC, .44-40, .44 SPL all throw lead at about 950 fps. Each has taken thousands of deer over the years. I doubt you can take this data and apply it to an airgun meaningfully. A 250 gr SWC, or a 240 gr JHP @ 950 fps would surely kill a deer, what type of projectile do you plan to shoot? Calculate the weight and velocity to get foot-pounds of energy vs the above. Then test your projectiles as far as penetration. You may have something there! Be sure to follow all game laws in your state (I can't even find info on airguns on the DNR site!) and only take ethical shots. I can see using it for varmints (Coyote or small hogs) but would hate to see you wound and lose a nice doe.

Ummmm...I plan to shoot a 240-270 grain WFN (that Veral designed specifically for airguns).

Any soft (around BHN10 or less) lead .45Colt/.45ACP/45-70 etc boolit can be shot from a .45 airgun. So considering they will be going the same speed as the original .45Colt throws them when shot out of the airguns I am referring to (DAQ's and Gargoyles), I don't see how they will kill deer any differently than if they were shot from a .45Colt at the same speed. I think the data I collect from this post should definitely apply to the DAQ, and Gargoyle airguns. The only real difference is that some of the powder-burner .45 boolits will be a bit harder than the ones used in airguns (sticking to around BHN12 or less for a Gargoyle unless I find out a harder BHN will work just as well). Oh, and my shot is probably going to be able to be placed with more precision for the most part.

I always know the current year's game laws in my state. I would have to travel out of state to hunt deer with my airguns (legal in Missouri.....also several other states when configured as a muzzleloader). Deer shot with bigbore airguns typically run 20-50 yards then go down. I am going to use 220grainers at around 750fps for coyotes/bobcat next year (that's what my current air rifle throws them at). I've also killed a wild boar, a corsican ram, coyote, and several smaller critters with it.

Marlin Junky
03-10-2010, 11:33 PM
I used my power-tuned Sam Yang (and a 228grain Lyman#452066/#45266, whichever one has the bevel base from LeftoverDJ) to kill the hog. That slug was going somewhere around 700fps.

You mean it was going around 700 fps when it hit the hog or, it left the muzzle at around 700 fps?

MJ

Butcher45
03-11-2010, 12:34 AM
You mean it was going around 700 fps when it hit the hog or, it left the muzzle at around 700 fps?

MJ

At the muzzle.

About 700fps 228grainSWC 80 lb. boar, and a sow about the same size had their heads down and were just to my left looking my general direction at about, say, 30 yards aimed at sow and she split he was right next to her and hesitated so I shot him. So with him being about 30 yards off that's about 683fps on impact frontal brainshot just over the eyes dropped him like a stone. He did a slow kind of bicycle pump with his left rear leg for a few seconds as I walked up on him from the nerves, then he was motionless a few seconds after I reached him. Hauled him off, and cleaned him out using the gutless method real quick.

JimIsbell
03-11-2010, 09:44 PM
I'm talking about the Gargoyle. I think the DAQ can do it, too.

I just bought, not yet delivered, a Sam Yang 909S .45 I intend to get it tuned and expect 900fps with 190 grain. Going to use it for BIG Coyote (these are the size of German Shepherds and walk across my lawn every morning and have my cat terrorized) in suburban area. I think they may be cross breeds with local dogs. Luckily I can get up in the lighthouse tower about 45 feet above the lawn and fire toward the ground which is beach sand so it should be safe.

Butcher45, I have seen your posts several places in the Big Bore Air Gun circles and have wanted to ask you some questions about air pumps as I think I saw a critique by you on the different pumps.

I am working with a local State Representative to get the Texas laws changed to something similar to MO. But Javalina and Coyotes are fair game with my new BB gun. Both play in my front lawn.

Butcher45
03-11-2010, 10:34 PM
I just bought, not yet delivered, a Sam Yang 909S .45 I intend to get it tuned and expect 900fps with 190 grain. Going to use it for BIG Coyote (these are the size of German Shepherds and walk across my lawn every morning and have my cat terrorized) in suburban area. I think they may be cross breeds with local dogs. Luckily I can get up in the lighthouse tower about 45 feet above the lawn and fire toward the ground which is beach sand so it should be safe.

Butcher45, I have seen your posts several places in the Big Bore Air Gun circles and have wanted to ask you some questions about air pumps as I think I saw a critique by you on the different pumps.

I am working with a local State Representative to get the Texas laws changed to something similar to MO. But Javalina and Coyotes are fair game with my new BB gun. Both play in my front lawn.

It's my understanding that Javelina cannot be hunted with an air rifle anywhere in the USA. Some guys were just going over Javelina regs last week. I'd sure like to hunt them with my bigbore when legal.

190grains at 900fps....that's screamin! You think it will be that fast, huh? That's would be a flat shooter.