PDA

View Full Version : What's wrong with this picture?

S.R.Custom
03-03-2010, 07:52 PM
So I downloaded the Millett catalogue, hoping to find the rear sight they make for the Ruger single actions. (Used to make, as it turns out, but that's another rant for another day.)

Scrolling down in their catalogue I see this pic. See if you enjoy it as much as I did.

fishhawk
03-03-2010, 07:56 PM
oh that's going to hurt! wish there was a right after photo! steve k

montana_charlie
03-03-2010, 08:00 PM
During my first range session I learned to keep body parts away from the barrel/cylinder gap on revolvers. But, maybe his jacket sleeve is made of durable stuff.

Watching videos of guys shooting high powered revolvers, and seeing how some of them need to duck to keep from tasting steel...I think that shooter is about imbed that fancy sight in his forehead.

CM

Uncle R.
03-03-2010, 08:00 PM
Maybe that jacket is REALLY heavy leather so he doesn't have to worry about the blast from the cylinder gap.
Maybe he thinks he'll look good with a "big fifty" embedded in his face.
Or maybe he's just a model posing for the catalog shoot - and doesn't realize how ignorant he appears. You'd think SOMEBODY at Millett would realize it though...
[smilie=l:

DLCTEX
03-03-2010, 08:18 PM
My son let a friend shoot his 480 Ruger (which I now have). The friend wrapped his left hand around the cylinder and frame. Fortunately my son stopped him in time. When I was a teenager a family friend told me that the Army taught him to instinctively shoot a 45 by extending his forefinger along the slide, as you will naturally point straight at an object. I had a High Standard 22 revolver, so I asked him if pressure at the gap would hurt my finger. He didn't think so. Thankfully it was only a 22!

Topper
03-03-2010, 10:37 PM
You could get away with that with a single shot pistol, but a wheel gun-ouch.

Mntngoat
03-03-2010, 10:39 PM
thats gonna leave a mark

ML

docone31
03-03-2010, 10:46 PM
Which one?
Scope eye, or Plasma burn?
Einy meiny moe.

stubshaft
03-03-2010, 11:09 PM
Looks like an x-frame!

I would think:
Plasma Burn
Scope Eye
Forehead cut (from front sight)
Hearing loss

Not necessariy in that order...

44fanatic
03-03-2010, 11:14 PM
I got lucky in many ways. My 44 cut right through the leather palm patch on my fleece gloves as I was holstering it. My palm was tingling for a few hours and had 2nd degree burns.

Have seen a youtube video of a 357 ripping ol buddies thumb open and another one they were cutting carrots.

Heavy lead
03-03-2010, 11:16 PM
Got a friend of mine who bought a .460, nice guy, safe shooter, but not familiar with handguns, I'm loading it for him. He brought up the fact that that firearm is so big it feels like he should be holding the barrel as if it were a rifle forearm, we went the plasma cutter scenario right away, after we talked about the psi it produces he understood completely. Not a dumb guy either, just ignorant as to how it all worked.
Amazing.
We'll shoot this weekend.

wills
03-03-2010, 11:25 PM
So I downloaded the Millett catalogue, hoping to find the rear sight they make for the Ruger single actions. (Used to make, as it turns out, but that's another rant for another day.)

Scrolling down in their catalogue I see this pic. See if you enjoy it as much as I did.

It would be more fun to see a video of him firing it.

Rockydog
03-04-2010, 12:04 AM
I know a guy whose father wanted to shoot his 44 mag. Dad was in his early seventies and was having a little trouble holding it up. He instictively added another hand along side the gun and pulled the trigger before anybody could stop him. Severe damage to his hand was the result. Nearly severed the base of the index finger from his hand. The bigger problem was convincing the emergency room staff that this was not a "shooting" they wanted to call the cops, game warden or anybody else that should review a shooting. Finally one doctor who was a shooter got the point. RD

geargnasher
03-04-2010, 03:19 PM
at first I gave the model the benefit of the doubt, thought maybe he was posing using the optics for spotting, but immediately saw that, nope, the hammer was cocked! Not good.

Gear

KCSO
03-04-2010, 03:26 PM
I happened to see a fellow shoot a Ruger 44 mag with full house 240's that way. We tried to warn him and he said,"BS I been shootin all my life..." When he pulled the trigger the rear sight was embedded in his forehead, the range looked like someone had stuck a hog. It was a 3 mile drive in silence to the hospital and old I been shootin' didn't show up at the range for over a year.

mroliver77
03-05-2010, 03:08 AM
Ouch!! I used the rifle rest to shoot my SBH .44mag.I put a shop rag over it and the gas messed the rag up pretty good and scorched the material on the bag. That dirty ole WC820 dirtied the rag a lot!
Jay

Southern Son
03-05-2010, 05:32 AM
Makes me want to buy one............a wound dressing, anyway.

badgeredd
03-05-2010, 09:34 AM
My Mom made me a couple rabbit ear bags years ago. NOT thinking about the blast from the cylinder gap on my 375 SuperMag when I was shooting from a bench the first time with it caused a big hole in the denim she made them from. The shame of being stupid sometimes! [smilie=b:

I DID learn!

Edd

Flinchrock
03-05-2010, 08:09 PM
Which one?
Scope eye, or Plasma burn?
Einy meiny moe.

All of the above!

Freischütz
03-06-2010, 09:37 PM
Looks like it will be time for a new coat - after he gets home from the doctor.

TCLouis
03-07-2010, 01:53 PM
This is a perfect example of why we need to keep pencil neck geeks out of all real world activities. They have to do some KEWTSIE thing and it makes the parent company look pretty stupid . . . well if the company leadership does not recognize it, and make changes, then maybe the charges are correct as leveled.

ghh3rd
03-18-2010, 10:57 PM
That's an odd picture to have in a firearm sights catalog. I'm surprised they didn't also have someone with their eye against a scope on a 300 Rem Mag.

I learned about gas cutting the first time I tried my new .44 Ruger SBH at the range. I rested it on a sandbag and a moment later there was sand pouring down all over the bench. The RO gave me a stern talk about what the stack of small carpet squares was intended for :-)

TCLouis
03-19-2010, 10:27 PM
I carry a flap from a truck inner tube just to protect bags when shooting revolver.

Phat Man Mike
03-20-2010, 12:00 AM
yup that's gona hurt! I've been really teaching my girlfriend about the right way to hold a wheel gun! :)

Scrapper
03-20-2010, 10:57 AM
That looks like one of my old Boss's......He wasn't very Bright. Not the sharpest bullet in the box, LOL.

archmaker
03-20-2010, 11:12 AM
Used to shoot silohette with a 44mag, had me a blast shield made of leather, that a friend who owned a shoe shop made for me. It was made out of the same material that you would use for the top of boot, soft and flexible. 1st shoot - ouch! Nothing made it through the soft leather it was made out of, but I decided right away I needed something more substantial, felt like someone hauled back and slapped the crud out of my leg. We sewed a piece of heavy stiff cowhide on the backside problem solved, I still have it an use it on occasion.

Changeling
03-20-2010, 02:59 PM
The revolver is "Cocked", that is the problem/stupidity as Geagrnasher said.

44man
03-20-2010, 04:50 PM
Strange how much he looks like a certain gun writer. (Not ours.)

a.squibload
03-29-2010, 01:38 AM
Used to shoot silohette with a 44mag, ...

My first silhouette shoot, made an effort to keep the SBH cylinder gap AHEAD
of my leg, was wearing boots, pretty safe. Cut my bell-bottom jeans to rags
though, should tell you how long ago that was...
PS: SE of Houston, near San Jacinto Monument, what little I recall.

Blammer
03-29-2010, 08:00 AM
odds are he only shoots ONCE! and regrets it...