PDA

View Full Version : lasercast .452 255g swc

Duck45LC
03-03-2010, 06:33 PM
new to reloading and this forum. i would like to start casting as soon as funds will allow. i have 1000 lasercast 255 swc bullets but oregon trail does not list any loads for saa, i have a ss 5.5 new vaquero. i have a couple loading manuals that list 250g swc and 255g swc bullets from different mold manufacturers for saa revolvers but none that list loadings for this exact bullet. these are bhn 24 so i don't know if i can use the same data for these bullets. the main reason i got these was to see if i liked this design for 45 colt and if so i was going to get a 255g swc mold. sorry for the dumb question but i'm a newbie. Am i being to paranoid can i treat these like any other 255 lswc. also what oal would you load these at i have seen 1.6-1.65 listed although the latter won't even chamber in a old vaquero.

Cadillo
03-03-2010, 11:27 PM
Treat them as you would any other SWC bullet of that weight, but as with any other attempt at handloading start with charge weights that are reduced from what the manual(s) indicate for that caliber, powder and bullet weight, and work up from there as you see how your gun responds to your begining loads. I would start at or slightly below what the manual(s) indicate as a minimum charge weight for that bullet powder combination.

Always refer to at least two manuals or load data sources so as to avoid falling victim to a typo, misprint etc. Different sources may indicate slightly different minimum and maximum loads, but they will put you in the ball park. :)

swat113
03-04-2010, 12:22 AM
You can start with 8 grns of Unique and go up from there, have shot 10 grns in a Colt with no problems.