PDA

View Full Version : Good news in Canada

waksupi
06-25-2006, 09:59 AM
Here is a good read. It shows that it IS possible to reverse the gun grabbing ways of the liberals. Good going, Canada!

http://www.newswithviews.com/Pratt/larry61.htm

Denver
06-25-2006, 10:33 AM
Great news. I just hope this is the start something bigger that will finally get the government there turned around and back on the right road.

:drinks:

BruceB
06-25-2006, 12:28 PM
It is good news, no question.

Only trouble is, the intent is to ONLY dismantle the long-gun registry. All the other crapola still remains....acquisition licenses, registration of handguns, NO CARRY of handguns, any time, anywhere, restricted-this and prohibited-that, storage requirements, warrantless searches, NO right-to-remain-silent where guns are concerned, mag-capacity restrictions, and on, and on, and on.....

Any progress at all is welcome, but there's little chance of much else happening to change the way the rest of the firearm laws affect Canadians.

I am SO DAMNED GLAD to be out from under that government thumb!

redneckdan
06-25-2006, 12:45 PM
Bruce, so you're original from canada eh? Did you become a naturalized citizen? Glad to have ya over here.:-D

BruceB
06-25-2006, 01:43 PM
A bit off-topic, here....

Dan, I was born in Detroit in '43, while my Mother was working for GM during WW II (Margery the Riveter???). We then went to Houghton, where we spent the remaining war years with my Grandparents.

My dad was off soldiering in the Canadian Army (he's Canadian-born), returned to MCMT to finish his degree in Mining Engineering after demobilization, and then took us all to Canada in about 1948. I moved my own family to the USA in '97, having put in the last few years there just to complete 30-years-and-out so I could "retire" with full company pension at 54 years of age. Naturally, I can't retire on such a small pension, so I'm still mining gold for a few more years (I hope). Being US-born made the move across the border fairly simple.

I'm intimately familiar with the draconian Canadian gun laws...there are some horrible things contained therein that most Canadians have no inkling even exist. For instance, if you happen to be in a motor vehicle and find out that there's a gun in the vehicle, YOU commit a felony (10 years, $10,000) if you don't immediately ascertain that someone in the car has proper documents for that gun. Further to that, if you find that there are no legal papers for the gun, you commit ANOTHER felony (10 years, $10,000) if you do not immediately leave that vehicle. (I use "felony" here instead of the Canadian term "indictable offense"...same basic meaning).

If the cops are searching your home for "firearms, ammunition, or PAPERWORK pertaining thereto", you must co-operate with the search or commit a felony (10 years, $10,000). The crunch here lies in the statement "Silence is to be construed as non-co-operation." Uh-huh...and there went our ancient civil right to remain silent until we meet with legal counsel.....

There are many more evil clauses in the Canadian laws, but these will give you some idea.

kodiak1
06-25-2006, 09:46 PM
Guy's We are hoping! It hasn't happened yet... Time will tell.
The thing of it is if they do dismantal the gun registry we aren't really sure what we will have to meet for laws. Will it go back to the old ways before or will it be a new mix and match system?
Ken.

redneckdan
06-26-2006, 11:16 AM
My money is on the mix and match system, goin back to the old way would make too much sense.