PDA

View Full Version : Pedersoli Shotgun - What Shot Types?

hhilljr
03-03-2010, 12:04 PM
Hello All:

I just received my new-to-me Pedersoli 12 ga. side by side shotgun, which came without any documentation. Is it OK to use any lead based shot? ( i.e hardened or copper plated ). I think I've read somewhere that it's fine, but I'd like some confirmation. I want to get started working up some loads as soon as the snow finally clears off. I hope a turkey or two survived the winter!

DIRT Farmer
03-04-2010, 12:28 AM
I load lead shot for general use and bismuth for waterfoul in my 10ga. I have had issues with the ( cheap?) softer shot. shooting skeet or sporting clays, I have had severe leading in both 10s , one with choke tubes and one without and the 20 ga. For a 12 start with 7/8 oz of shot and an equal dipper (volume ) of ffg. Be sure to wipe the oil out then pop 2 to 3 caps per barrel before loading. A card wad over powder, a lubed fiber wad, depending on the gun possibaly 1/2 fiber wad, shot and a over shot wad.

For turkey hunting try 1 1/4 oz #6 hard shot over a 1 oz sized to 11/8 dipper of ffg. should give a 35 yd pattern to suit any one. You did not say if you had screw in chokes.

Alan

DIRT Farmer
03-04-2010, 12:31 AM
Be sure to hold wad pressure on the wads to keep out air space in your loads. The ammount of pressure dosent seam important, just tryto be consistant.

Alan

hhilljr
03-04-2010, 12:57 PM
Thanks for the info and tips. I'm in the proces of gathering and ordering compnents now. I'll surely give your recommendations a try. Can't wait!

stubshaft
03-04-2010, 06:05 PM
I use hard #6's for upland game. I use a shot snake with a 1 1/8oz measure to meter out the shot.

My Pedersoli 12 has turned my other shotguns into safe queens. I find it so much more fun and satisfying shooting a BP shotgun. I think that you will enjoy it alot.