PDA

View Full Version : .222 Remington question...

lead-1
03-03-2010, 05:02 AM
I ran across a Remington 700 today that has an aftermarket barrel on it. Actually a fair amount of work done to it, stock, single shot follower, trigger and barrel.
I'm thinking it has a wildcat barrel on it as the only markings on it are what looks to be "WEI KEN" over top of .222. The WEI is followed by a space then the KEN and I am sure that the "I" isn't an "L", has anyone else ever ran across these markings or the maker of this caliber. This rifle has peaked my interest for some reason in a caliber that I have never had an interest in before.

mike in co
03-03-2010, 07:11 AM
I ran across a Remington 700 today that has an aftermarket barrel on it. Actually a fair amount of work done to it, stock, single shot follower, trigger and barrel.
I'm thinking it has a wildcat barrel on it as the only markings on it are what looks to be "WEI KEN" over top of .222. The WEI is followed by a space then the KEN and I am sure that the "I" isn't an "L", has anyone else ever ran across these markings or the maker of this caliber. This rifle has peaked my interest for some reason in a caliber that I have never had an interest in before.

if marked 222..why would you think a wildcat ???

222 is a std round and if no neck dia listed, probably a std chamber....

mike in co

Shepherd2
03-03-2010, 08:57 AM
lead-1 I understand what you are saying. If it was stamped .222 Remington you'd know what it is. The WEI KEN over 222 could be someone's wildcat cartridge. I suppose the best way to find out would be to make a chamber, cast if that is possible.

felix
03-03-2010, 10:38 AM
There are a lot of 222's out there with various shapes. Some barrels could have been chambered long to fit a case between the standard 222 and 223, called a 222 and 1/2. Most would have a different case angle with a more different shoulder angle. Expect a chamber neck of 246, rather than the 250 minimum diameter neck. ... felix

mike in co
03-03-2010, 01:23 PM
lead-1 I understand what you are saying. If it was stamped .222 Remington you'd know what it is. The WEI KEN over 222 could be someone's wildcat cartridge. I suppose the best way to find out would be to make a chamber, cast if that is possible.

nothing wrong with a chamber cast

BUT
IT SAYS 222 AND WEI KEN ABOVE IT.

it only says 222...with nothing before or after the 222......

if they have the time to add a makers mark....wei ken, dont ya think they would have id'd the cartidge if it was something other than THE 222 ???( 222 REM)

and a smaller than std neck is marked on the bbl normally..and there is not nk/neck listed on the bbl...so not likely to be under 222 min spec.

mike in co

lead-1
03-03-2010, 05:27 PM
Well guys I did mess up on one letter, it is "WEI KER". The last letter is an "R" and not an "N". I got ahold of some brass fired out of this rifle and it is a standard .222 Rem. chamber, the brass is so close to the specs in a Speer manual that it couldn't be anything else. Darn it.
I was thinking that it may be wilcat because the only markings are the WEI KER and .222 kind of like being marked .222 AI, .222 Jones or .222 Smith. You know what they say about curiosity and the cat, Thanks guys for the input.

DLCTEX
03-03-2010, 08:28 PM
Nothing wrong with 222 Rem. It shoots cast well, and can't be faulted for accuracy.

Ike8477
01-19-2016, 12:17 PM
I know this is an old post but figured I'd respond to it anyway. What you have is a standard .222 that was smithed by Bud Weiker. Bud is located in Wooster, Ohio and does quality work. I feel safe in saying you have a quality gun. In fact, I have a couple of his guns. Bud is well known here because he bought out the gunsmithing business of Nelson Berger. Nelson was my smith for years before he retired (��). Although many people, especially here in Ohio, know about Nelson's work, his name may ring a bell for out of staters. Nelson is the brother of Walt Berger, of Berger bullets fame. Apparently firearms genius runs in the family. Unfortunately, Nelson passed away very recently.

Bad Water Bill
01-19-2016, 09:11 PM
What a trip down memory lane.

I enjoyed seeing Felix posting AGAIN.