PDA

View Full Version : My Dad

Gunfixer
03-03-2010, 02:05 AM
Tomorrow is the 2nd "anniversary" of my fathers untimely passing. It has taken me awhile to meld the feelings into a coherent line of thought. Any of those who served and all who do will most likely understand my decision not to ( although I will defend the constitution as best I can, to the death if necessary) and I hold those who have and are serving in the most highest regard.
His father enlisted in 1918 and served in the engineers. deployed in such places as Laredo TX, and Panama. In 1931 my father was born while they were deployed in Detroit, MI. When my Dad was 9 they were sent to the Phillipines. My Grandfather Retired in in March of 1941 as a Seargent Major, leaving the PI and coming home to San Antonio, TX. After 12/7/41 he was called back and commisioned as a 2nd Lt in the Provost Marshall's office, retiring again after tours in Italy and North Africa as a Captain. Apparently my Dad had the same focus. As he attended Texas A&M, set to graduate in 1953 when the Korean War ( I wont use conflict) erupted. He entered the USAF (It wasn't still Army air corps? was it Im having a time...) Hanging ordinance on F-86's. Made it home and continued at A&M graduating in 56. He continued by swapping to the Army reserve and continuing civil service . He met my Mom in 1961. To make a long story longer, I showed up in "65 and my brother in '68, right after bro we got sent to Mongomery Al, I still can see the house even though I was 4. Back to San Antonio in 70 and guess what? Clark AB Phillipines 1973. Dad was civillian personnel ops for USAF at this point. Returned to SA again and lived life, Then, promotion to Director of Civillian Presonnel USAF Pentagon, 1981 and PhD at TX A&M. Had a time in DC. Because of the man he was, in 1985 he took a grade/ pay cut to get us back to TX before retirement.
Thanks for letting me have a place to say this where I among people that do what he did and I do ( although he couldnt cast a boolit to save his life)
Hope I did this okay, I cant read the screen anymore

DLCTEX
03-03-2010, 01:22 PM
My thanks to your family for serving this great country.

Mumblypeg
03-03-2010, 10:17 PM
You done good, Gunfixer, you done good...

Topper
03-03-2010, 10:34 PM
My Dad passed away in 1988 and I still miss him.
I was very sorry he never got to meet my son and my son never got to know him.
He had his flaws, but he was a fine father in that family always came first.
Seems to me that God smiled on you a blessed you with a great Dad ;-)

Gunfixer
03-04-2010, 01:39 AM
I now have to add, because I forgot. That where the plane hit the Pentagon, his office was the one two windows clockwise from the corner just left of POI.Of course we were long gone and I doubt any of those I knew were still there but God bless them and their families. I used to go around and get a cup of coffee when I visited ( at 14, try it now) from the Navy, because the pot was always empty at Civ Ops,USAF. Thanks Navy, 26 yrs late

And thanks to all here too

Shooter6br
03-07-2010, 03:35 PM
My Dad passed 23 yrs ago before he could see his first grandson. He started shooting i n 1961. He unlike other dads wasnt into sports little league cub scouts etc. He was into hunting and reloading. That is what bonded us. i still thank him for teaching me about hunting, shooting guns and reloading. I still have his Herters Super press, a Mec 600. and a boat load of knowledge. He was a great Dad, taught me alot. ...........