PDA

View Full Version : Getting my dad into...

dk17hmr
06-24-2006, 03:20 PM
Seems kinda backwards to me son getting his father into something.... I got into casting after buying my 45. I like to shoot but I dont have the type of coin it takes to feed my shooting habit with jacketed bullets the next best thing was buying cast. I got to looking at prices and came to the conclusion that I can make my own for what it would cost me for 1000 bullets, I am still new to casting and the members on this site have help alot.

Yesterday I was tryin out some homemade lube and my dad came home with a bucket full cable coating which the telephone company used in the 80's I guess but its close to pure lead. He was garage saling on company time and theyh had a bucket full close to 70 pounds he offered $4 for the bucket and the guy said "need help loading it into that truck?" Well dad was helping me clean it up (paper left inside that coated the copper wire that was stripped out of it already) and asked if I would cast him some 45-70 bullets. I told him buy me a mold that will cast what you want and I will keep you in bullets for the rest of our lead supply.

Well today he asked if I needed anything from Midway because he was ordering some stuff. We ended up getting 2 .459 Lee molds one is a 405gr flat point hollow base the other is a 500gr pointed, a .50 caliber 360gr Lee Mini Ball mold, 30 caliber Hornady gas checks, .309 Lee sizer, and a .457 lee sizer. Almost $100 of stuff, that will keep us in bullets for along time.

Suprising that I get alot of my lead from garage sales. 2 Weeks ago I bought 40 pounds for $2 and this week we got 70 pounds for $4. Still havent found a tire shop that doesnt want to get rid of a bucket for less then $50.

So when that order comes in this week I will have 10 molds and just starting a month and a half ago I would say that is pretty good for just wanting to cut the cost of shooting my 45acp.

DK

Dale53
06-24-2006, 04:47 PM
DK;
I am pointing out the obvious:
You are addicted! Ain't it grand?:mrgreen:

Now, you and your father have one MORE thing to relate to. Certainly, not all bad...

Shoot Center!
Dale53

Duckiller
06-24-2006, 05:10 PM
You are a terrible son. Your father was comfortable loading and shooting Jacketed bullets. Didn't shoot an awful lot, just enough to be able to properly kill Bambi evry fall or so. Then you come along and get started into cast boolits. Turkey cookers,casting pots,luber/sizers,assorted H&I dies,molds,handles,lead in various alloys,hardness testers,more brass,more reloading dies,the list never ends. And your poor father is trying to get you through college. Know all about you troublemakers. #1 son has the decency to shoot jacketed and commercial cast bullets. #2 son is a trouble maker like you. Had a Lyman Model 45 that I had gotten at a yard sale before I was married. No dies. We go to a gun show and I significantly increase my supply of reloading equipment(see above endless list). To make matters even worse he graduates from college and goes to work at a gun store. Doesn't make much money, but is having a great time. Daughter will shoot what ever I load for her. Doesn't like full power 44 Mag or 454 Casull but she does shoot a bunch of 45 Colt and mid-range 44Mag/Spec. Don't want to talk about her consumption of 20 ga shot shells and clay pigeons. Yes you troublemakers are out to keep your parents broke and working. By the way where are you going to school? #2 went to MSU for a while. Duckiller

dk17hmr
06-25-2006, 12:27 PM
You pretty much hit it right on the head there except, he shoots high volume 223 every year on a p-dog hunt and we shooting rifles alot here at the house we have a 300 yard range. But I was the one that got him thinkin about alot of the stuff he now owns (AR-15's, reloading equipment, along with other things). I guess I am a troublemaker.

But being the the youngest son and willing to try anything, one would expect that. The other day I was on a roof fixing it for friends of the family I got up there by climbin on my brothers shoulders and then pulling myself up, not having a ladder I just jumped down only a single story house, about gave my mom a heart attack, and later this summer I am taking my girlfriend to jump out of an airplane, her birthday gift, she wants to go sky diving and it sounds like a riot to me so we are going.

So I guess you are right I am a bit of a trouble maker.

DK