PDA

View Full Version : Marking Brass

1Shirt
03-02-2010, 08:00 PM
Old yankee saying that there is no such thing as a stupid question. So, I have marked the head of ctgs for identification with a number of things but to date, all markings have been polished off in my tumbler within 2 or 3 cleanings. Does anybody have a method on case head marking that is perminant, impregnates without hurting brass, and will not polish off?
Thanks in advance for all who respond to this thread.
1Shirt!:coffee:

AZ-Stew
03-02-2010, 08:05 PM
(EDIT!)

File a small notch ON THE BASE near the rim. Any surface treatment will wear off.

Regards,

Stew

I can't believe I left off the "ON THE BASE". Do NOT file any notches in the case body.

44fanatic
03-02-2010, 08:05 PM
I have been wondering the same thing. Have considered getting an engraver and putting hash marks on each shell but have been wondering if that would compromise the casing.

Doc Highwall
03-02-2010, 09:26 PM
I use to put the cartridges in a twenty round box bullet down and take a marker and color or draw one or two lines on the case head.

longranger
03-02-2010, 09:38 PM
Are you marking your brass for orientation in the chamber or for some other reason? Chamber orientation I do what AZStew does and a small triangular file and few strokes will put a nice clean groove that will never disappear.

Bad Water Bill
03-02-2010, 10:01 PM
Please explain the reason you have for marking your cases and we may have better answers for others with the same problem.

markinalpine
03-02-2010, 10:44 PM
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=66487&highlight=coloring+brass

Try the above thread. Lots of information about chemically treating brass to color it. I don't know what some of these methods might do to the metallurgy, ie strength, or life of the brass. I just use a fat tip magic marker to color the heads of my semi-auto brass to make it easier to find when I'm picking it up. We have a lot of Federal employees firing .40s at our range, and it is a little annoying when trying to pick up my .45s
Mark :coffeecom

1Shirt
03-03-2010, 10:31 AM
Well, think I will go with AZ Stews recommendation. Takes little time and is perm. Main reason I want to do this is to keep the same cases/same ctg for different rifles, and beyond that to seperate cases I load strictly for cast from those I shoot with jacketed. Am working with two 375H&H's right now, and have two 308's, two 243's, and two 6.5x55's. It is not as much a problem when I only have one rifle of a cal. Think I may also use this for chamber orientation on a couple of rifles as well. May help me group wise, even if that takes away another excuse for the 4th. round flier in a 5 shot group. Would be easier if I only had one rifle for the cal------Naw, that won't happen soon. Thanks guys.
1Shirt!::coffee:

Doc Highwall
03-03-2010, 01:59 PM
I use to mark mine because I use to shoot with the state high power team with the M-14's and because the cases were thrown forward of the firing line along with everybody else's, you had to keep yours separated from another shooters. Both shooters could be shooting LC-66 and yours were on the second firing and the other persons were on their ninth firing and would not be good for accuracy due to work hardening.