PDA

View Full Version : Lead?

jkkfam89
03-02-2010, 08:39 AM
I casted my first batch of wheel weight boolits. I had a lot of fun learning the techniques.
I know a guy who owns a range, who wants me to take 20 5 gallon drum buckets. I know he uses a water trap, is there anything to watch out for? The lead from the spent boolits should be good to go, right?

randyrat
03-02-2010, 08:57 AM
Yes, and thank him from the bottom of your heart.

Wet range lead is ok, just be sure not to submerge into molten lead. Start out with a full pot to melt and it all heats up slowly.

Do it clean, put cardboard under your work area and use personal safety equipment. ie...saftey glasses at all times.

You'll figure the rest out.

Springfield
03-02-2010, 11:45 AM
Forget the cardboard, use an auto drip pan. Won't catch on fire and the lead doesn't stick to it. Makes for an easier clean-up, 'cause no matter how hard you try, you get drips and splatters.

A J
03-02-2010, 12:01 PM
I've been casting range scrap for years and found it prudent to check it for live rounds. Dump some in an old rectangular cake pan and check it for misfired .22's especially. You'll be amazed with what some people throw down range.....A J

jkkfam89
03-02-2010, 01:34 PM
AJ, I agree. I got 6000 round of assorted brass from him and there were quite a few live rounds in that. Probably a few in these buckets.

lwknight
03-02-2010, 03:49 PM
Some folks get all the luck. Twenty 5 gal buckets!! That is from 2 to 3 thousand pounds pending how full they are.

mroliver77
03-02-2010, 05:11 PM
I put a lid on my smelter. Helps keep heat in and somewhat contains any kabooms that happen.Nothing fancy, right now it is a hubcap.This is indoor range? Many cast shot there? I have some from indoor range and it is perfect water dropped for 38, 45acp and colt etc. It needs a bit of stiffening for heavy mag and rifle.

Jay