JeffinNZ
03-02-2010, 04:54 AM
Just buy a .22 magnum........hehe.

Wayne Smith
03-02-2010, 09:51 AM
Got armor plated squirrels??

RobS
03-02-2010, 10:21 AM
I helped a friend and the toughest part is the powder charge. We used ramshot true blue powder and stayed on the minium to middle charge weights listed in their data so as to to over charge a case. I can't remember what bullets we used though as that has been quite a while back (before he went into the marines). We used Lyman dies as that was really the only available ones that were in stock at the time.

Better than factory ammon as we chrono graphed the factory to the reloads and had more consistent results.

I reload mainly 45 cal cases and large magnum rifle so reloading these little guys was a change in pace..........kind of like little toy soldiers.:bigsmyl2:

abunaitoo
03-03-2010, 06:09 AM
I don't shoot it, but I have some cases.
Cute.
I was cleaning them in the vibrator and noticed that they are coated.
Probably lacquer, but not sure.

clarks359
03-03-2010, 09:53 AM
Abunaitoo,
If you aren't going to use them I might be interested. How many do you have, and would you be interested in trading for some other brass? If interested just PM me and maybe we can work something out. Thanks

abunaitoo
03-19-2010, 10:25 PM
I' m just going to keep them.
Most of the coating has come off.
I'm going to try and soak them in some paint remover.
I don't have that many.
Just thought they would make cute key rings.

Lee
03-20-2010, 08:50 PM
'Bout all they're good for...cute key rings. 'Bout like the 45GAP......cute key rings....... Bout like the 204Ruger...cute key rings.....:roll:

hcpookie
03-22-2010, 12:01 AM
I'd be glad to take all the brass people are going to use for key rings. Whenver we take out the wife's P90 we end up going through about 3x more ammo than I ever budget for :)

fatelk
03-22-2010, 12:07 AM
What's a fair price for some 5.7 brass? I've got a couple hundred pieces around here somewhere, along with a bunch of .45 GAP.

abunaitoo
04-09-2010, 04:33 PM
I'm trying to get the coating off the shells.
Soaked them in paint remover for two days. Nothing.
This is some tuff stuff.
Anyone have any suggestions????

jcwit
04-09-2010, 06:09 PM
I wish someone made a bolt action varmint, or target rifle in this caliber.

Phillip
04-10-2010, 01:36 AM
I wish someone made a bolt action varmint, or target rifle in this caliber.

I'd second that.

NickSS
04-10-2010, 06:14 AM
Just get one in 221 fireball and you will have a better round that is easier to load.

DLCTEX
04-10-2010, 06:51 AM
+1 on the 221 Fireball, I've got the dies and some brass, just need the gun.

Bad Water Bill
04-10-2010, 05:14 PM
I have the 221 Fireball and a 20 VT BUT do not have the weather yet. Either to cold,to windy or to crowded to work up loads.

lisa_wolf
09-30-2010, 01:20 AM
I'm trying to get the coating off the shells.
Soaked them in paint remover for two days. Nothing.
This is some tuff stuff.
Anyone have any suggestions????

Here is Jay's Answer to cleaning the brass for the 5.7x28mm. We specialize in the 5.7 ammo & reloading supplies.

The important thing to keep in mind is not to remove the coating on the brass.

When cleaning 5.7x28 brass it's best to use a mix of 1 part Simple Green to 3 parts water. Wet tumble for about 5 minutes, rinse and air dry. Oven if you in a hurry but not hotter then 175

lwknight
09-30-2010, 02:47 AM
Dang, Lisa.
I was just about to suggest Berrymans Chemtool
It will take anything off that is not metal.

Zbench
09-30-2010, 11:06 AM
The coating is to allow the case to get easily extracted from the PS90. Without it, it will get jammed in the chamber.

I load a lot of 5.7 and use true blue with 40 grain hornady blue tips. I have a different opinion on cleaning the brass, however. The simple green method does work, but it's also a pain as your brass is then all wet and you have to dry it, etc.

I ran an experiment a while back and tumbled 5.7 brass for 45 minutes with just corn cob media and then inspected the cases afterward under a 60X stereoscope. I concluded the brass was just as coated as it was before I tumbled, and the brass was clean. So, I don't bother with the simple green approach anymore. Nothing is faster or easier than just tumbling for a short amount of time with ordinary corn cob. Walnut is another story, If you use it, it will wear off the lacquer in no time.

While doing this experiment and looking at the brass under high magnification, I was surprised to see how fast stress cracks form along the shoulder. If you use hot loads in the 5.7, you may only get one or two reloads out of your brass before these cracks appear.

Probably more info than you wanted, but for the general good.

Pete

lisa_wolf
09-30-2010, 11:51 AM
Yes hot loads your best bet is 1 or 2 reloads and call it a day.

When we used to offer reloading the 5.7 we stressed only 1x fired because our loads are hot.

Zbench
09-30-2010, 12:56 PM
I was astounded when I looked at the brass under magnification. It was loaded with stress cracks. If you reload cracked brass, it will blow out which might or might not cause a problem. :)

AZ-Stew
09-30-2010, 09:21 PM
I've considered the 5.7 as a nice cast boolit cartridge. It should be easy to get a mild charge in it that's nearly perfect for shooting lead alloy. Light load=less brass stress. I'd also guess that it will easily match .22 Magnum loads. but for less than half the cost.

I'll add a +1 for the .221 Fireball, as well. I went to some lengths to make sure I got my hands on one of the Rem. 700 Classics that was chambered for .221 when they were offered several years ago. I've worked with it using jacketed for a while, but recently started to develop a cast load. My first go around was with the RCBS 55gr FP. Needs more work, but it gravitated quickly to 4198 powder. I used several book loads and can't understand why the publisher suggested the starting load for Unique. I might have given the boolit a good challenge running along side it as it flew toward the target, and I have arthritic knees. The "group" (pattern) was about 10 inches below the line of sight. Judging from the length of time it took between breaking the shot and hearing the impact of the boolit on the target, the velocity was WELL below that of a .22LR.

Anyway, the 4198 loads shot well. I will be working with heavier powder charges to see if I can find a real sweet spot with it, but the ones I started with grouped less than 1.5 inches at 100 yards. The boolits weren't weighed or sorted in any manner, they were cast, had the GC seated, they were lubed, sized and loaded, so some diligence in this area might improve things a bit, as well. I also want to try the Lee "Bator" boolit in this rifle. I have the mould, but haven't used it yet.

Regards,

Stew