PDA

View Full Version : Cast my first bullets

totallycustom
03-02-2010, 02:27 AM
Well I finally did it! Got my molds a few days ago and got to fire up some lead tonight. I put about 10 pounds on my bbq side burner and melted back out the dental foil I got for free. That went fine by I had quite a few problems as I expected to. I started with the mold a little too cold, I couldnt get the lead in the mold before it cooled on the sprue, I was a little hesitant to get that mold right in there and get it too hot or burn up the handles, etc. etc. Once I got it going I ran into trouble with my ladle being a little too small. It was just a big table spoon srewed to a stick. I was anxious to get casting and havent got a proper ladle yet. As a result many of my bullets were wrinkled becuase of multiple dips from the "ladle". I got 33 good bullets and probably around that many (or little more) rejects. I will scrounge around a bit more for a better ladle and cast before it gets dark also.

Once I get enough cast up and fine some primers I will load these up and see how I did. I cannot find primers anywhere in the Tacoma/ Olympia area anywhere. Urggg.
Thanks for all your help guys,

Gavin in WA

lead4me
03-02-2010, 03:29 AM
I first used an old SS ice cream scoop, use what you got I say. Did you add anything to the lead to help harden it or just casting as is?
Trust me it only get worse from here:lol: I just started myself and already I have gathered almost 1000lbs of lead, made a bottom pour pot, a bunch of iron(C Channel) ingot molds ect...
I was drawn to it the first time I watched a friend smelt down some wheel weights, the silver pot of molten lead had me, I had to do it too.
Welcome and happy casting..be safe and have fun.

chris in va
03-02-2010, 03:54 AM
I tried ladling...do yourself a favor and get a 10# bottom pour soon as you can. Night and day difference.

In the meantime though, head to WalMart and find a stainless gravy ladle. Bend the handle down nearly parallel with the scoop, works much better than a spoon.