PDA

View Full Version : Ruger MkII mainspring housing

captaint
03-01-2010, 08:13 PM
I have a Ruger MkII Gov't Target Mdl. Love the gun. Only one small problem. While using lower power target ammo, it fails to eject, probably 5 or 6 out of 100. The empty doesn't fully clear the chamber. Have another Ruger MkII in the Competition Target flavor. The comp tgt model has no problems whatsoever with the same ammo under the same conditions. I bought the Gov't model new, so I know it is bone stock.
I'm thinking the Gov't model has a little too much spring tension. Genius, right??Thinking of taking just a little length off the mainspring. The pins holding the housing together at the "ball end" appear to have been peened. I don't want to beat the snot of the pin. Can someone tell me - does the pin just tap through, or is it more of a project than that?? I'm certainly no gunsmith, but not an idiot either. And if it does just tap through, will it stay put later or do I have to peen it some after to hold it in place?? Any advice would be appreciated. enjoy Mike

stubshaft
03-01-2010, 09:19 PM
??? - The pin holding the "ball end of the spring housing" is for the hammer spring. The mainspring runs along the top of the bolt and has a rod that runs through it and is retained near the bolt face with a small piece of steel that the rod is peened over.

If I have made an error in understanding your post then I apologize.

jhrosier
03-01-2010, 09:28 PM
Many people get good results by changing out the extractor for a good sharp one and solve all of the ejection problems.
I would not be inclined to mess with the hammer spring.
The recoil spring that is on the top of the bolt might be exchanged for a lighter one, but I have never heard anyone mention doing this.
A real good cleaning and a bit of the right lubricant might improve function also.

Jack

cheese1566
03-01-2010, 09:47 PM
Good cleaning do anything?

870TC
03-01-2010, 10:04 PM
My MKII bull barrel won't shoot target velocity stuff until I have put several Hi-vel bricks through it. In fact thats how I determine when to replace the recoil spring, when the gun cycles with standard velocity ammo I buy a new recoil spring assembly from Brownells.