PDA

View Full Version : Feaux NRA Sporter's First Shots

Char-Gar
06-23-2006, 11:34 AM
The round tuit supply has built up and my protracted NRA Sporter project is in high gear. I took a SMith Corona 03A3 action and fitted a new unfired four groove Smith Corona barrel. The sights are a Lyman long slide 48 years and military front. The stock is a lush full fiddleback Claro walnut. from Great American Gunstocks.

It is now all together, the metal is still in the white and the wood need final shaping, sanding and finishing. I hard beded the metal and no glass...yet!

I went to the range this morning to see what it would do in this state. I want all the bugs worked out before I do the final wood and metal finish work.

I stapled some targets at 50 yards, put the rifle on the rest, pulled the bolt and to do some primitive bore sighting. Everything looked right on, so I replaced the bolt and loaded the first round.

The load is 18/2400/311284 (ACWW) (.311)/ Rem. 9.5 primers.

The first round was three inches above the front sight, with dead on windage. That is a good start!

The next two round produced a three shot group of .495"...hummm..looking good

I started a new group and fired four rounds in .38".. Wow..the fifth shot opened up the group up to .95.. still not bad...must be a funky bullet.

The next five shot group was just over 2" as did the next. Uhh..Ohh..must have a bad spot in the barrel channel and the barrel is heating. Let's wait and let the barrel cool.

While I was waiting for the barrel to cool, I took a screw driver to the trigger guard/action screw...oooohhh very loose..There were tight when I got to the range. I tightened the front screw and it gave three full turns and the front part of the trigger guard sunk deep into the wood. Great American Gunstock cut that trigger guard mortice deep. I thought I had the guard bottomed out...but I was wrong, at least in the front.

The next five rounds went in .95 and that was all of the ammo. Much better, but still no prize.

A quick checked showed the magazine box hard against the receiver rails. There is probably still a little slop and the screw have taken up all they can.

Next step is to put a shim under the front guard screw to allow the receiver to be pulled tight into the bedding without coming in contact with the top of t he magazine box. I suspect that will do the trick. I will put two thickness of credit card there, and test again. If that works, I will glass the shims in place.

Looks like this rifle after tweaking is going to be one cast bullet shooting Jessie. It should also finish up as real eye candy to boot.

I took some photos, but the lens was covered with condensate and don't look good. It is hot and humid here in deep South Texas. Anything coming out of a air conditioned truckcollects moisture real quick.

While I was there I test fired my second Norinco 1911A1. Somebody had fitted a long ejector and not trimmed it back and the pistol would not eject loaded rounds. I bobed it back even with the top of the frame and beveled the top edge.

The pistol functions to perfection. Anybody wanting a stone cold reliable basic 1911A1 with plenty of accuracy for 50 yard head shot, at a low price, the Norinco is a top choice. I have two of them.

sundog
06-23-2006, 11:46 AM
Chargar, thanks for the great report. I enjoyed the read! sundog

Beau Cassidy
06-23-2006, 08:00 PM
Charger,
I feel your pain about the heat. I am at Ft. Houston in San Antonio playing Army for a few weeks. Yesterday's 0430 PT test (gotta love those start times!) was sort of rough. Although originally from MS and somewhat used to the heat, this is much worse than in Northeast TN where I have been for the last several years. I have been climatizing much better than those from places like, say Alaska. What really sucks is the Army's policy of not letting you roll your sleeves right now since we are at conflict. Doesn't matter though. The new uniforms aren't designed for them to be rolled up.

Beau

Char-Gar
06-24-2006, 07:58 AM
Well I adjusted the beding a might. I gave the metal a good coat of spotting material to see how it was bearing when the gun was fired. I am pleaseed. It is bearing in a uniform manner on the top of the receiver tang, the bottom of the tang, the recoil lug, front of the receiver ring and bottom of the chamber. Everything else doesn't bear. That is about the way things should be.

I fitted the barrel band, so now it is back to the range to see what effect that has if any.

Today, I will inlet the rear sling swivel.

I have got to get this complete as I have three more lined up. The next is a Euro-styled Mauser based on a cherry Persian 98/29 barrel action. A good Fajen stock is also ready for fitting and finishing.

Then there is a Krag action,a new 2 groove Remington 03Ae barrel, and a great stock that needs to be married up.

Then there is the left handed Ruger 77 barrel action in 30-06 that needs to be made up as a British stalking rifle.

I hope I can keep the grim reaper away long enough to get these rifles made.