PDA

View Full Version : Colt Lightning rifle .32-20

Newtire
02-28-2010, 05:48 PM
Yesterday, I finished the thin steel buttplate for my old Colt Lightning rifle which I have been fooling around with.

I made a buttstock from and old Model 94 I picked up off ebay and tried firing some 90 grain J-worders in it. They were about minute of garbage can lid at 50 yd target so kinda gave up the project.

The last 1-1/2" is a smooth bore practically and the rest that is still rifled is pretty nasty looking but looks like there is alot left.

I loaded up 20 Lee 90 grain tumble-lube boolits, lubed with Felix-Lube, sized to .314", 4.8 gr. Unique powder and a Magtech small rifle primer in some Starline brass. . I was surprised to see round wadcutter looking holes in the target. After dialing it in, it made a nice 2" group at 50 yds. with the rest of the boolits.

Someone mentioned this in another post that even though the bore looks rough, give it a try before relining. It may not be real accurate but accurate enough to take out squirrel or rabbit hunting or after some elusive cans.

Cherokee
02-28-2010, 08:30 PM
Sounds good to me. Shoot it a while before you do any reline. I relined an old 1889 Marlin 32-20 because the chamber pits made it very difficult to extract fired cases, but the black bore shot good. Doesn't sound like you have a chamber problem.