PDA

View Full Version : .357 Mag case wall thickness

GRid.1569
02-28-2010, 03:59 PM
Hi Folks,

Been having an issue with my Marlin 1894 (.357) at the last stage of operating the level (closed - chambering a round) the action is difficult to close...

A bit of examination shows the cases are bulged slightly where the .358 commercial cast bullet is seated... if I recycle through the sizing die they chamber just fine... but of course this is resizing the bullet in the case and I'd rather not do that... in future I want to use Lee 358-158 RNFP "as cast" circa .360

Is there a view on which cases have thinner walls ? Lapua cases are all I have at present... or any other thoughts on inside reaming the case mouths?

Thanks in advance...

HeavyMetal
02-28-2010, 04:06 PM
What I'll suggest: post if your brass is brass or nickel plated and then add the wall thickness.

We can then measure wall thickness on other commercial brands, I currently own Federal, winchester and remington brass in both Nickel and brass versions, and this way you'll get a "cross section" of wall thickness from different brands.

I will suspect you'll find nickel case's, particularly remington, to be the thinnest but by how much I don't know.

In the end you may have to "adjust" your boolit diameter or your over all cartridge length to crue this feeding problem.

DLCTEX
02-28-2010, 04:11 PM
Are you sure the case isn't bulged due to too much crimp? Try backing off the crimp and see if they will chamber.

Cherokee
02-28-2010, 08:52 PM
That bulge indicates to me you have good neck tension holding the bullet, a heavy crimp is not needed. For LA, you need some crimp to avoid bullet setback during feeding but not heavy. It is also possible that the front band of the bullet (I'm assuming a SWC) is contacting the rifling making it difficult to close the lever, but I do not know what bullet you are using. BTW, I shoot a lot of the Lee 158 FNFP and really like it in my 357 revolvers. As to case wall thickness, I use primarily Rem nickeled and have not noticed any differences when I use other brands in my loads.