PDA

View Full Version : Ammo going up in price again

mpmarty
02-28-2010, 02:07 PM
The earthquake in Chile has impacted the world copper markets. Guess what? Brass is copper and zinc. Any excuse to raise prices (as in any port in a storm) will have an effect on our hobby. Copper futures on the commodity markets is up already.:takinWiz:

lwknight
02-28-2010, 05:57 PM
When speculators buy into futures , they usually artificially drive up the price. There is a reckoning though. Someone has to take physical delivery and at some point when the leveraged commodities start coming back down (correcting) those speculators loose their butts and the price temporarily falls below the normal value.
Just look at the last 3 years of oil prices and metal prices.

Blammer
02-28-2010, 07:11 PM
the trick is to sell when it's high. :)

ammo going higher? hmm, I buy so little ammo it won't matter to me.

(actually I need to buy a box of factory 45acp, defense stuff don't ya know, need to do the quarterly rotation of ammo for my carry gun)

Shiloh
02-28-2010, 07:27 PM
Wow!!!

Bummer for the folks who buy ammo. Other than .22 RF, can't remember the last factory ammo I purchased.

MT Gianni
02-28-2010, 07:58 PM
Wow especially as the mines are in Northern Chile and the quake in Southern Chile, a country as long as the US is wide.

runfiveslittlegirl
02-28-2010, 08:35 PM
and kennecott copper is located in utah.
largest open pit copper mine i know of

Bad Water Bill
02-28-2010, 09:06 PM
>------> Dawn =) <-------<

I think there are some more in Montana and Arizona but I am not sure who has the biggest one or the largest reserves.

Tazman1602
02-28-2010, 09:41 PM
>------> Dawn =) <-------<

She's right guys, good call kiddo. If you want an education, and if these guys know what they're talking about watch what the price of cartridge cases does over the next couple of months if indeed the earthquake has impacted the price of copper worldwide, which, quite frankly, I haven't done any research on.

If there's a panic, you'll see it in prices and availability.

Art

felix
02-28-2010, 09:48 PM
Chile has the largest reserves by FAR. About 200 years worth at current excavation. ... felix

lwknight
02-28-2010, 10:23 PM
Earthquake prpbably did not even mess with the mines that much. Just speculation that I think will be short lived and a few day-trading fools will lose out of the game. Overall its a good thing. I can't stand speculating capitalists anyway.

mpmarty
02-28-2010, 10:50 PM
Earthquake prpbably did not even mess with the mines that much. Just speculation that I think will be short lived and a few day-trading fools will lose out of the game. Overall its a good thing. I can't stand speculating capitalists anyway.

Only those caught short will lose anything. Most of us will do just fine thank you.

randyrat
02-28-2010, 11:07 PM
Speculators are not all bad...They are willing to bet and Win big or loose it all. Without their money some companies wouldn't be able to expand or do other things llike reserch and development, buy some needed equipment, things with big paybacks to the companies.

Speculators have been demonized by the public lately, like in the oil business. They have been around since before Christ and they will be here long after we are gone. We love to hate them though.

Maybe Zinc will get so high they have to quit using them as WWs, then we just have to sort steal WWs out of our buckets. Save your Zinc WWs they may be valuable someday.

sundog
02-28-2010, 11:42 PM
did a training deployment to camp williams (Sandy, Utah) years ago, and while there made several passes over the big pit by helo. man, it is huge. got some pics somewhere, if i come across will post. talk about a hole in the ground!

runfiverun
02-28-2010, 11:50 PM
corky,
you probably met dawns grandpa then he used to assign barracks to the visitors and guests.
big guy, bout 6'5. always smiling, and pretty nice fella.