PDA

View Full Version : Galvanized bucket for smelting?

bubblehead
06-22-2006, 04:01 PM
I just got my new turkey fryer ($40 at Lowes). I have several galvanized buckets that I leave at tire shops to collect wheel weights. It occurred to me that one of the buckets might work on the burner instead of a dutch oven.

Does anyone know what would happen to the galvanizing when heated?

sundog
06-22-2006, 04:11 PM
Yup, contaminate your melt with zinc, more than likely. Cast or steel pot the best. sundog

Dale53
06-22-2006, 05:44 PM
Harbor Freight has two cast iron dutch ovens that would be near perfect for smelting:
4 quart 10" for @12.99 and 6 quart 12" for $17.99. I would get the larger one.

Of course, they will only last for three life times if you take care of them:mrgreen:

Dale53

ANeat
06-22-2006, 05:49 PM
I know when you weld something that is galvanized that some awful fumes are released and its not something I try to do to often. At lead melting temps I dont know other that the mentioned contamination.

Its one of those things, whats the worst that can happen? Ruin a bucket of lead, Perhaps have a seam give way under the weight, spilling 100lbs of molten lead. Who knows, not really worth the risk.

Adam

44woody
06-22-2006, 06:22 PM
the easyest and cheepest thing to do is go down to the good will store and buy a stanlis steel pot I got mine for about $3.00 big enough to hold about 125 pounds of lead at one time what ever you DO NOT USE A ALUNINUM POT to melt lead in it is very dangerous they can and will come apart on you BAD BAD VERY BAD if you are around it when it does :castmine: 44Woody

omgb
06-22-2006, 07:45 PM
The heat loss from a galvanized bucket will make melting a huge PITA. Likewise, any thing other than cast iron is going to consume huge amouts of heat to keep the melt at temperature. Bite the bullet and go to Wally mart or Harbor Freight. Get their el cheapo cast pots and have at it. Spending $20 on a good cast pot is more than compensated by the grief you will save, not to mention propane.

Been there, done that, wished I hadn't.

Marshal Kane
06-22-2006, 10:17 PM
Agree with everything that's been said with the exception of using a galvanized bucket for melting lead. Would not want to be around when the sheetmetal decides to go south. Cast iron or HEAVY GAUGE steel pot is definitely safer.

BTW, attached a Webber barbeque grate to my turkey fryer as additional support for my cast iron pot.

bubblehead
06-24-2006, 12:00 AM
Thanks guys. I had a feeling about using the bucket.

The idea of using a barbecue grate is a fine idea!