PDA

View Full Version : Casting for Rem 700 SPS 308 26" heavy barrel

supv26
02-27-2010, 10:41 PM
Ok, now that I have been casting for my .45 and .44 I want to start casting for my new Remington SPS 308 Varmint Target model with a 26" heavy barrel 1 in 12 twist.

What LEE mold would everyone recommend for me to get? The most I will be shooting will be 100 to 200 yards and maybe some out to 300 yards if possible.

Also I have always tumble lubed my pistol bullets so I guess I am going to have to get some sort of lube machine????? Or, is it possible to get a tumble lube rifle bullet???

Gas checks???? Basically you can tell I have not a single clue as to what I need for casting rifle bullets so don't be too rough on me........:?:

Mr Peabody
02-28-2010, 10:14 AM
You can buy a Lee push through sizing die, it will seat your gas checks too.
Lee liquid alox is fine in rifles from my experience. You might look for a bullet in the 160gr class since the 1-12 twist is what you have.
I used Lyman's 160gr in my Kimber 308 with alox lube and it works very well.

Mk42gunner
02-28-2010, 10:34 AM
I am using Lee's 312-185 for a variety of 30-31 caliber rifles. The boolits drop from the mold at .313", with acww. I seat the checks and lube in a .313" die, if I need a smaller diameter I can then size them down with a Lee push through die.

The best thing would be to slug your bore and throat to find out what size you need. Lee makes a couple of molds designed by Ed Harris for the 7.62X39, one with conventional lube grooves, one is a tumble lube design.

There is a sticky on pan lubing that is very informative, and will tell you more than I can about it.

Hope this helps,

Robert

supv26
02-28-2010, 10:34 AM
Thanks Mr. Peabody!!!! I was thinking somewhere in the 160 rainge would be what I need. I have used LEE molds in the past so I will stick with them. I have also used the Lee push through sizers so I will get one of those also.

The lube is what stumped me. I assumed that if the bullet had the big lube rings then it had to have paste/wax lube in the rings. If you can just tumble lube cast bullets even if they have the big lube rings then I'm all over that!!!![smilie=w:

Time to go shopping!!!!!!!!!
:castmine:

You can buy a Lee push through sizing die, it will seat your gas checks too.
Lee liquid alox is fine in rifles from my experience. You might look for a bullet in the 160gr class since the 1-12 twist is what you have.
I used Lyman's 160gr in my Kimber 308 with alox lube and it works very well.

supv26
02-28-2010, 10:49 AM
OK, now LEE has confused me. They show two sizers for 308. One is a .308 and one is a .309. The mold is a .309 so I am assuming that I get the .309 sizer and mold and 30 caliber gas checks. Right?

supv26
02-28-2010, 10:51 AM
Thanks Robert!!
I'll check out the stickies too...........

I am using Lee's 312-185 for a variety of 30-31 caliber rifles. The boolits drop from the mold at .313", with acww. I seat the checks and lube in a .313" die, if I need a smaller diameter I can then size them down with a Lee push through die.

The best thing would be to slug your bore and throat to find out what size you need. Lee makes a couple of molds designed by Ed Harris for the 7.62X39, one with conventional lube grooves, one is a tumble lube design.

There is a sticky on pan lubing that is very informative, and will tell you more than I can about it.

Hope this helps,

Robert

Larry Gibson
02-28-2010, 12:46 PM
You a very good rifle there for shooting cast bullets, especially with the 12" twist. You should be able to load some very effective and accurate cast bullet loads up through 2200 fps using Lee bullets if you do things right. If you do they will do nicely out to 300 yards and even farther.

I'm going to suggest you get the Lee C309-200-1R mould. This heavier bullet will aloow more lattitude of powder use. Considering rifle powders it will do well in the 1600-1800 velocity range with the faster powders like 2400, 4227, 4198, 4759 and 5744. With medium burning powders like RL7, 3031 and 4895 up through the slow burners like RL19, 4350 and H4831SC excellent accuracy can be had up through 2200 fps.

I'll also suggest you get a Lee .309 and a .311 sizer. My "go to" size for most all .30 cals is .311. Many C309 Lee moulds drop the cast bullets a little larger, depending on alloy, so .311 is just about right. The sizer will seat and crimp the GCs. I also suggest, if you don't want to get a lubrasizer, that you learn how to "pan lube" the bullets, it is not hard.

Lastly, I suggest if you do not have a copy of Lyman's Cast bullet Hand Book that you get one. It is the basic primer for casting bullets and loading them. A new one is not necessary and I have seen older verisions (the newer ones just have updated loading data and what you wnat is the instructional first half to study) in used book stores for a very inexpensive price.

Again, a very nice rifle for shooting cast bullets if you do your homework.

Larry Gibson

mpmarty
02-28-2010, 02:41 PM
I shoot 308 and 30/284 with a LEE 170gr fp gas checked boolit lubed by double tumbling in LLA not thinned at all just warmed up in hot water. After they are loaded I wipe their little noses with a rag soaked in paint thinner.

supv26
02-28-2010, 10:01 PM
Larry,
I am making me a shopping list!!!! I have been selling some stuff on GB to fund some new stuff. I like to reload as much as I like to shoot so I am looking into several other ways of reloading!!
Thanks for all the info!!

You a very good rifle there for shooting cast bullets, especially with the 12" twist. You should be able to load some very effective and accurate cast bullet loads up through 2200 fps using Lee bullets if you do things right. If you do they will do nicely out to 300 yards and even farther.

I'm going to suggest you get the Lee C309-200-1R mould. This heavier bullet will aloow more lattitude of powder use. Considering rifle powders it will do well in the 1600-1800 velocity range with the faster powders like 2400, 4227, 4198, 4759 and 5744. With medium burning powders like RL7, 3031 and 4895 up through the slow burners like RL19, 4350 and H4831SC excellent accuracy can be had up through 2200 fps.

I'll also suggest you get a Lee .309 and a .311 sizer. My "go to" size for most all .30 cals is .311. Many C309 Lee moulds drop the cast bullets a little larger, depending on alloy, so .311 is just about right. The sizer will seat and crimp the GCs. I also suggest, if you don't want to get a lubrasizer, that you learn how to "pan lube" the bullets, it is not hard.

Lastly, I suggest if you do not have a copy of Lyman's Cast bullet Hand Book that you get one. It is the basic primer for casting bullets and loading them. A new one is not necessary and I have seen older verisions (the newer ones just have updated loading data and what you wnat is the instructional first half to study) in used book stores for a very inexpensive price.

Again, a very nice rifle for shooting cast bullets if you do your homework.

Larry Gibson

MaxJon
04-03-2010, 05:33 AM
Ok, now that I have been casting for my .45 and .44 I want to start casting for my new Remington SPS 308 Varmint Target model with a 26" heavy barrel 1 in 12 twist.

What LEE mold would everyone recommend for me to get? The most I will be shooting will be 100 to 200 yards and maybe some out to 300 yards if possible.

Also I have always tumble lubed my pistol bullets so I guess I am going to have to get some sort of lube machine????? Or, is it possible to get a tumble lube rifle bullet???

Gas checks???? Basically you can tell I have not a single clue as to what I need for casting rifle bullets so don't be too rough on me........:?:

I shoot the 180gr. RCBS #82014 mould bullets in my Mauser 98, not sure of twist rate.
It shoots very well. Let us know how what success you have at 300yds?
I will be building a Varmint .308 soon, (1 in 11 twist heavy 22 inch i think) which will see a diet of my 180grainers. I think it will be good for 300yds, i hope!!

MaxJon
04-03-2010, 05:48 AM
Larry,
I am making me a shopping list!!!! I have been selling some stuff on GB to fund some new stuff. I like to reload as much as I like to shoot so I am looking into several other ways of reloading!!
Thanks for all the info!!

Do yourself a favour, get an RCBS mould, they are made of cast iron and drop a better filled out bullet IMO. Sure the iron takes a bit more to heat up, but when hot works better and drops a nicer looking bullet. Also i must agree with Larry, learn how to pan lube, it also can be very rewarding! See posts in Boolit Lube by DALE 53 and others, they are very informative and experienced!!