PDA

View Full Version : Lee TL358-148-WC

sundog
06-22-2006, 09:25 AM
Anyone using this boolit? What diameter do they drop?

My kids and grandkids can go thru a WAD of ammo on a family afternoon of burgers, swimming, and shooting (out back behind the barn). I'm thinking of getting a production run 6-banger and be done with it. I can cast a gazillion of them during the winter, get'em tumble lubed (got about 6 bottles of the stuff), and let the grandson have at the loading bench. He likes to load. #3 SIL also needs to learn - he's currently reading the NRA Guide to Reloading (really good 'how to' with good pix and illustrations).

My son and new DIL (one year anniversay last week) visited from Colorado a couple weeks ago and we had a big bust and went through just short of about a 'million' rounds. Plastic bottles with water, paper targets, clays, 'silver boolits' (pre-emptied, but of course!). We played roullette for silver dollars for awhile. That was fun.

They will be loaded in both [mostly] .38 Spl and .357 for family fun day plinking loads. I gots mucho plenty .38 brass and surp 231. If I do get one of these moulds, it will no doubt more than pay for itself it's first use. But, DO IT SHOOT? sundog

Leftoverdj
06-22-2006, 12:08 PM
It shoots. A lot better than I do, in fact. My 50 yard groups from a scoped Handi carbine run right at one inch. Swaged HBWC seem to do just a touch better, but you would never see the difference from a pistol in my hands.

My mould casts right at .359, but I get an oversized cast just often enough so I size them, anyway. Goes very fast just shucking them through a Lee pushthrough. I've taken to lubing them with Johnson's Paste Wax which is much less messy than Liquid Alox and plenty good for WC loads.

HiWayMan
06-22-2006, 02:12 PM
I've been using the 2-cavity version for a few months now. I really like it. The bullets are around .359" unsized and I've been using the .358 Lee sizer as well. They have been dropping at 154gr with my alloy of 3 parts Lyman#2 to one part recycled bullet and cable sheathing lead. I'm getting a BHN of 20 with that mix according to my Lee tester. Using LLA lube.

I've been loading using 4.0gr Unique in .38 spcl cases and seating them flush with the case mouth. I have yet to chrono them, but they feel as though they are between 850-1000 fps.

They are very accurate out of a 4" tube, but I get the occasional keyhole (1 in 50) out of a 2" tube.

sundog
06-22-2006, 02:14 PM
DJ, just what I needed to hear. Thanks! Hmmmm, Johnson's, huh? Just happen to have some of that, too. If'n I'm really lucky, I might even get it to feed in the Rossi.... sundog

keeper89
06-22-2006, 02:59 PM
Funny thing, full wadcutter boolits don't get the press they should.....guess they just aren't "sexy" enough for the gunscribes of today--but sexy is as sexy does, and full wadcutters do the job for their application--which is having a good time with an accurate, non punishing load--the more you do the basics in practice, the less you have to think about them when it counts........:-D :-D

oso
06-22-2006, 03:29 PM
From my experience, I wouldn't count on a full wadcutter feeding well from the magazine on a lever action as the next cartridge wants to follow along and jam.

sundog
06-22-2006, 03:47 PM
10-4 on not feeding in a lever, but I COULD get lucky.

And 10-4 on the lowly WC not getting the recognition it deserves. I still have my first mould, a Lee SC 358-148-WC (not the TL). That boolit shoots REALLY good, but what a PITA casting one at a time. I usually use it at the second mould when working a pair if the other one needs cool time while casting. That way I've always had a few for plinking.

I have a break in the action here at work right now, so I think I'll go ahead and get it ordered. Thanks fellers. sundog

garandsrus
06-22-2006, 04:19 PM
Sundog,

We have a Lee 6 cavity group buy going on right now for a .359 105 gr Full Wad Cutter that you might be interested in... You will have just as much fun and use 1/3 less lead! :-D

John

Dale53
06-22-2006, 05:04 PM
I have a brand new Lee six cavity mould for the 148 gr wadcutter but have not yet used it. I plan to run LOTS of bullets thru it in the near future. Sorry I can't be of more help...

Dale53