PDA

View Full Version : Tuesday at the range 4 - 26 - 05

Buckshot
05-01-2005, 05:08 AM
...............I'd debated about even posting it as nothing really crazy or hilariously funny happened. As I was standing there in the garage Tuesday AM dithering, I spotted some small silhuette targets my old pal Kenny had given to me. I picked up 10 of'em and thought maybe the guys would like to use them for the match.

These weren't torso silhuettes I don't think. They had a half round bottom and were I suppose 14" wide and 18" tall with a low square on top for a neck I guess it would be. They were labeled for small bore pistol at some number of feet, like 50? Don't really remember. All the scoring rings were oval shaped with the unmarked 10 being 1.5" wide by 2.5" tall. Each succeeding ring would be an inch wider and taller.

Rather then say, "Hey, you guys wanna shoot on these"? I knew them well enough to know that they all had their 50 yard sight settings for the bulls
we normally use. THIS would be a disruption to what they were expecting, so most these ninnies would find it easy to work up the energy to say NO.

Rather I presented it as an accepted fact that we WERE going to be shooting on these targets as I handed them out. I also said that all I'd brought was enough for one target each, so no sighters. You'll just have to hold up into the black a bit. Deputy Al and Pistolero451 didn't say anything. Good ole Larry was almost tearfull with joy to have all that black to aim amongst[smilie=p: To him, he doesn't care if he wins the pot or not, but just keeping all 10 rounds in the black is accomplishment enough.

I knew my problem chirruns were gonna be Glen and Leonard. As everyone else had just taken their targets and walked away, Leonard just mumbled something about the surprise and he'd have wished he'd known. I think he'd been down there at the bench sighting in his rifle. Well he assumed, wrong.

Glen said he couldn't fit that target into his front apurture and he hadn't brought a post insert to replace it. I allowed that that was a tough break, and tough noogies all at the same time! Next time be better prepared. I was mean to the boys:rolleyes:

I was shooting a 1891 Argentine with the Bator/Lee C312-200RF over 20.0grs of SR4759 and no dacron, but tipping the muzzle up. BTW, at 50 yards, you couldn't see the rings on the black. Poor Glen couldn't even try and center his apurture that way! The Argie is a very fine shooting rifle in excellent condition, but it has a turrible trigger. Ist stage is okay but the release is like the sear is dragging over some beat up corrugated metal roofing. You just don't know which one of those whoopties is 'It'.

As it turned out, my first 3 shots were tens (I just slid the elevator up one notch on the ladder!) via holding at the '6'. Leonard walked up and announced he'd shot a 92. I think I had 4 left to go at that point. I got a few 9's and a couple more 10's and ended up with a 95. Yippee for me8).

Had a $6 pot so I had my range fees paid for that day. Larry said he really liked that target. It was kind of like those playing card targets. It's kind of spooky trying to scatter your shots around randomly and stay on the paper, as it's hard to see the edges. Larry just said he tries to hold center and his shots naturally scatter! This time there was so much black he could just about aim all over.

................Buckshot