PDA

View Full Version : 9mm OAL

NHlever
02-27-2010, 11:51 AM
Just picked up a 9mm pistol yesterday, and am wondering what everyone is using for an OAL with the Lee 358-105 swc, and the Lee 358 125 rnfp boolits?

Cloudpeak
02-27-2010, 12:36 PM
It's best to custom fit your OAL to your barrel. Remove the barrel from your pistol and seat so the case rim is at least flush with the barrel hood. If you seat longer, you'll be jamming the bullet into the leade/rifling. I usually set OAL so the case head is just a bit short of flush with the barrel hood to allow for variances in bullets and seating.

My current 9mm load for this bullet is set to a OAL of 1.012 to 1.015 and I use 3.9 grains of W231. The bullet is sized to .357-.3575". This bullet has been very accurate in a: M&P, CZ Compact and STI Trojan. Also very accurate in my S&W 7 shot .357 revolver.

Here's a target shot with the CZ, 5 shots.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v620/WyoBob/Targets/DSCN1581.jpg

deltaenterprizes
02-27-2010, 01:01 PM
Maximum OAL is very important in 9MM. Because of the small case capacity, with maximum loads seating the bullet .030'' deeper than max OAL can DOUBLE pressures. This is printed in the RCBS reloading manual in the forward section on the 9mm data. I would believe 40 S&W would be the same.
Establish workable OAL and work up powder charge slowly.
I learned this the hard way, don't ask.

Mistakes=Experience=Wisdom

NHlever
02-27-2010, 02:12 PM
Maximum OAL is very important in 9MM. Because of the small case capacity, with maximum loads seating the bullet .030'' deeper than max OAL can DOUBLE pressures. This is printed in the RCBS reloading manual in the forward section on the 9mm data. I would believe 40 S&W would be the same.
Establish workable OAL and work up powder charge slowly.
I learned this the hard way, don't ask.

Mistakes=Experience=Wisdom

Yea, this is why I'm asking. I did load some of the 125 rnfp's up this morning with both Titegroup, and Power Pistol. I loaded them to 1.075 OAL, and kept the powder charges on the mild side. Maybe I'll get a chance to pop the caps on a few of them this afternoon........