PDA

View Full Version : Casting pot leaking ?

justintimesc
02-27-2010, 12:40 AM
Got a Lee 4 20 casting pot with the bottom pour on it. It drips pretty often maybe a drop every 20 to 30 seconds. Is this normal? I have it set about as low as it will go.

RobS
02-27-2010, 12:51 AM
Yes.......... the pots do leak a bit. It will help if you make sure to use a flat screw driver on the top and spin the valve rod ten or twenty so times. I usually do this just before casting and then right before I shut it down. Also others have clamped a vise grip on top of the rod where you would use the flat screw driver so it has more weight to it. Or here is a thread that I posted with another option.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=68515

Lead Fred
02-27-2010, 04:20 AM
Maybe is was the 420 [smilie=p:[smilie=l::kidding:

Muddy Creek Sam
02-27-2010, 11:34 AM
I have heard that Valve lapping compound can help a great deal.

Sam :D

justintimesc
02-27-2010, 06:18 PM
Maybe is was the 420 [smilie=p:[smilie=l::kidding:

I was thinking that when I wrote it, wonder if lee knows that!? LOL Thanks for the help guys.

Frozone
02-27-2010, 06:55 PM
I solved the problem by redoing the spout/rod.

The stock rod has a rough radius on it not a straight shoulder. Same with the spout, it has a rather odd radius. Now valve lapping compound can make this better, but it also gives a large contact area. If you get some **** in there, it's a bugger to work out.

I used a drill bit I had ground to a flat to remove the radius. I then used a bit with a 90* point to put a ~1/64" 'shoulder' on the hole. I also put a 90* point on the rod.
I Then used lapping compound to mate the contact ring for a liquid tight seal.
This has solved all drip problems. If a piece of stuff gets stuck in the valve it comes out with just a few turns.

In retrospect, Doing it again, I would not use a 'flat' bottom in the spout. I would put a medium angle (say 30*) so any stuff would move towards the hole rather then build up on the flat. I think I'd polish the inside of the spout as well.

WHITETAIL
02-28-2010, 09:14 AM
justintimesc, Welcome to the forum!:cbpour:
The same with my pot.
I needed to clean it up after years of use.
And I did the lapping compound idea.:veryconfu