PDA

View Full Version : Using a filler for the first time.

eka
06-21-2006, 11:59 AM
I am getting ready to use Dacron as a filler in my Marlin 1894 .44 mag. My load will be 10.0 grains of Bullseye, .5 grain of Dacron, Federal No. 150 primers, and an RCBS GC 240 Gr. SWC. Just wanted to run this load bye you guys to see if anything sounds off base before I touch them off. Still a little nervous about this filler thing, but I can remember years ago being a bit nervous about seating that first primer:-D . Thanks for the input.

Keith

StarMetal
06-21-2006, 12:09 PM
Why don't you try 10.0 grs of Unique and no filler. Why you picking Bullseye, that a very very fast powder and I know what 10 grs of Unique does out of a 6 1/2 inch revolver, over 1000 fps. I can imagine how much hotter the Bullseyes will be. You don't need a filler with Bullseye either. Personally I don't think that sounds like a good load and being a filler user, I wouldn't use a filler with either Bullseye or Unique in a handgun cartridge.

Joe

klausg
06-21-2006, 12:20 PM
Keith- While my experience level with using fillers is exactly the same as yours, i.e. NONE, your load has me scratching my head a little. I haven't used any Bullseye, but I shoot lighter charges of Unique in my .44's all the time with no fillers. I don't think I'd want to try your load, it may be fine, but I can almost garuntee that the filler is not necessarry. Anyway, just my $.02, take care

-Klaus

StarMetal
06-21-2006, 12:30 PM
I forgot I had an older Alliant manual on my bookcase and I looked in it and with a 240 gr lead and Fed 150 Primer they had the max load at 9.8 bullseye without a filler. I'm afraid that 10 grs with a filler would be too hot.

Joe

eka
06-21-2006, 12:33 PM
Thanks for the replies. I have tried both Unique and Bullseye so far without the filler. So, so groups at best to this point. 10.0 grains of Bullseye is the best loading of the bunch and I was looking to possibly tighten the groups a little with more consistant ignition. Sounds like I may be a little off base on this one.:confused:

mattc
06-21-2006, 01:41 PM
the 10 gr Bullseye should give you about 1350fps and is just under max pressure at 32745psi (36000psi being max) pressure will verry depending on seat depth on your bullet, and that is without any filler so with filler it will probably put you over max pressure

44man
06-21-2006, 06:44 PM
I agree with all the guys, dump the Bullseye and the filler. You should be using 296 or H110 in the rifle anyway. I don't understand why anyone would use Bullseye in the .44 mag case.
Unique and 231 would make a better light load. For heavy loads go to the slow powders.

Buckshot
06-22-2006, 02:15 AM
.............EKA, if Bullseye was showing the best accuracy I can understand your desire to try and improve it. I'm no pistol guy and I have no idea how much room 10.0grs of Bullseye takes up in the 44 mag.

The use of a filler is to do 2 things. One thing and the primary one, is to orient the powder against the primer in a manner to be consistant from shot to shot. The second thing is to decrease the amount of airspace in the case. Anytime you do that, pressures go up.

As I said, I don't know how much space is left in the case with 10.0grs. Yet generally compared to a rifle cartridge with a fast powder it probably isn't much room. Bullseye is a very energetic and powerfull powder, and not hard to ignite. Look at the 38 Special and the amounts used in it, or the 45 ACP.

If you DID want to try a filler, my suggestion would be to start at the very bottom load shown in the books (even if you didn't start that low to begin with) and use the filler. Since I doubt you have a ballistics lab handy (wouldn't THAT be nice!) you should compare your accuracy against the same loads that had no filler as you increase the loads. You should also be very familiar with the appearance of that brand of primer. Plus what the recoil impulse, the report, and case extraction is like. Very important also would be using a chronograph.

Other things to look at is if the slugs are being seated straight in, and not off to one side. A lube switch, an alloy change, boolit diameter, a primer switch, a sizing diameter switch (bullet grip), or a change in crimping will all have an effect on accuracy. For a pistol cartridge I'd be more inclined to look at some of those before considering a filler.

.................Buckshot

David R
06-22-2006, 07:33 PM
You are playing right on the edge. 10.0 of Bullseye in a 44 is an OK load if you have worked up to it. One small mistake and you can go way over pressure limits. More crimp, a fat boolit, different primer.........FILLER....... I would not try that one.

You can have a full case with slower powders that should give as good or better accuracy.

Some one here has said it. Use powder as a filler. IMR 4227, WW 296, H110 or 2400 will fill the case or almost to the boolit. No filler needed that way. It has been said already in this thread, slower powders are better in a rifle anyway.

Bullseye is for light loads in a 44 in MY opinion.

David

eka
06-23-2006, 08:44 AM
As usual I have benefited greatly from the wisdom and experience of you guys. Bullet puller initiated. Just looking through the Alliant loading book and thought I would try some different things. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Thanks again,

Keith