PDA

View Full Version : Lyman lube sizer questions.

Thecyberguy
02-26-2010, 07:41 PM
Hey Guys,

I am casting a few boolits as it is said here.

I was looking at the Lyman 4500, but it is way more money that I can justify for what few bullets I will cast over the next few years.

So, I says to my self....look around for something used and cheap!!!! All I find is the Lyman 450. Now to the question....what is thew difference between the 450 and the 4500?

Is the RCBS the same machine? it looks it by the pictures.

And, what do you all think about this type of lube , sizer?

What do you use if not this type?

As always , thanks for the info I know I will receive.

Have a good 'un, Guy

stubshaft
02-26-2010, 08:38 PM
Have you given any thought to pan loobing and sizing with a Lee sizer? I used the old Lee manual (hammer powered) units in 30, 44 and 45 caliber for a couple of years until I could justify the purchase of a loobsizer.

Echo
02-26-2010, 08:52 PM
The Lachmiller(LAM)/RCBS operates the same as the Lymans, and uses the same dies and nose punches, but seems to be more robust, and certainly has the best customer service. They sell (both Lyman & LAM/RCBS) on eBay for ~ $80, plus delivery. If you could get a Lyman much cheaper, say $50, I would go with that, otherwise get a LAM/RCBS.

Or pan lube. It's a mess, but the Lee sizing system is inexpensive and does the job.

sleeper1428
02-26-2010, 10:04 PM
Hey Guys,

So, I says to my self....look around for something used and cheap!!!! All I find is the Lyman 450. Now to the question....what is thew difference between the 450 and the 4500?

Have a good 'un, Guy

The basic difference between the two Lyman units is that the 450 has a plug in the base that seals with an O-ring and is then staked into place. Unfortunately, if you put too much pressure on the lube in the reservoir you can force lube past the O-ring and even push the plug out of its seat. Fairly ease to replace but still a pain in the rear! The 4500, on the other hand, no longer has the base plug so you won't have to worry about lube leakage. As far as the RCBS, it is pretty much the same design as the Lyman and the base, like the Lyman 4500, is solid. I have one of each of these lube/sizers (a 450 and a Model II RCBS) and like them both.

sleeper1428

Thecyberguy
02-27-2010, 10:27 AM
So, the sizing dies and such are interchangeable on both Lymans and the RCBS?
BTW...thanks for the input guys. I do appreciate it.
Guy

Ajax
02-27-2010, 10:29 AM
You might also try putting in a post in the Want To Buy section. There are a lot of guys here someone might have a used one for a good bit less. I bought mine here like that.

Andy

atr
02-27-2010, 10:36 AM
Pan Lubing does work,,,,especially if you are on a budget...and it works well if your mold casts the boolit to the diameter you require.

markinalpine
02-27-2010, 11:08 AM
Guy,
You didn't mention what you are casting for. I've had good results using Johnson Paste Wax, JPW, for my low velocity, handgun plinking rounds. I run them through a Lee push through sizer after lubing them with wax based wire pulling lube using the same tumble lubing technique recommended by Lee for their LLA, alox. Then I dump them in melted JPW and pull them out with a slotted spoon after letting them sit them sit in the melted wax long enough to get warm. I stand the boolits up on wax paper until they cool off.
Mark :coffeecom

Thecyberguy
02-27-2010, 11:39 AM
Hi Mark,
Right now I am casting .430 for the 44 spc/mag. Loading reduced loads so I can still shoot my Redhawk despite the RA in my hands and wrists. Also my son is 15 and really starting to enjoy shooting and I do not want to make him recoil shy.

I did just buy a Lee .309-113 that I would like to load in a couple of my rifles.

I tried the tumble lube and didn't like the lube all over the bullet. It built up on my seating die and I had to tear it all apart and clean. It was a pain.

I do have an old Lee pan and kakecutter kit for the 44 and that is OK, But still hard on the wrists.

I do have the new Lee push through sizer die set up for the .430 and have not tried it because of using the LLA TL deal. So i thought I would start asking and looking for something else that I can afford. With the wife loosing her job a year ago ...funds tend to be tight....

So after all that.....answer....mostly 358 and 44 handgun and maybe getting into some rifle down the road.

Thanks again for all the good info.

markinalpine
02-27-2010, 12:39 PM
Guy,
Another board member posted his excellent idea for "dip" lubing. He uses a short length of vinyl tubing of an appropriate diameter, slips the boolit nose first into the tube, dips it into the melted lube, and ejects it standing up on the cookie sheet via a length of dowell inserted in the other end of the tube. I seem to recall he even made a drum shaped knob glued to the end of the dowell to keep the dowell from falling through the tube, and to relieve some of the pressure on his thumb.
Mark :coffeecom

sleeper1428
02-27-2010, 06:13 PM
So, the sizing dies and such are interchangeable on both Lymans and the RCBS?
BTW...thanks for the input guys. I do appreciate it.
Guy

Oops, I forgot to mention that in my post. Yes, Lyman and RCBS sizing dies are interchangeable. I have quite a number of each and use them in both of my lube/sizers without any problems.

sleeper1428