PDA

View Full Version : to much alox

jballs918
06-21-2006, 01:52 AM
is it posable to use to much lee alox. i have been putting it on pretty heavy. i got a few bottles in a trade. is there any ill effects from this. im using it on a tc158scw. also other question for you all can you use alox on a non tc bullet. the stuff is nice to work with. i really dont mind it. thanks guys
jason

Buckshot
06-21-2006, 02:18 AM
................Jason the only drawback is that it's just so dad burned messy. I like the stuff, so don't get me wrong but I thin mine 50/50 with paint thinner. I also drop a 44 cal cast RB in each bottle after mixing as it WILL settle. When I go to use some I treat it just like a can of spray piant and shake it up real well before squeezing some out on the boolits I'm going to coat.

Even thinned it will eventually build up in the seater die. I also use it on all my bore rider rifle slugs. They get coated and stored so they're always ready to lube-size and load. If you have such a slug and it engrave well, the LA helps ease it in and allows you to unload without de-booliting. And since most modern sporters don't come with a leaning rod :-), that can be the pits!

.................Buckshot

Junior1942
06-21-2006, 06:17 AM
is it posable to use to much lee alox.Not really. I always use two coats. Just wet a rag with mineral oil and wipe off the meplats after the lube dries.

also other question for you all can you use alox on a non tc bullet. It has worked just fine on all the non-TL bullets I've used it on. On fact, my Lyman 450 is gathering dust since I started using LLA.

Cayoot
06-21-2006, 08:47 AM
I haven't found any problem with it. I'm pretty anal about avoiding leading, so I'm sure that I go further than necessary.

I usually size/lube conventially, then apply two thinned (with paint thinner) coats of L.A.

Besides needing to clean my seater dies once in a while, I've never had any problems with it.

Vegas Vince
06-21-2006, 01:07 PM
I use AL and nothing else any more. I to feel it is messy, but I get little or no leading. What leading I do get is remove very easy. (One or two strokes of a bore brush):-D

I also had a problem with the seating die. I keep two bottles or AL open. I mix one part AL with two parts paint thinner for the first lube. Then lube using very little. I then size ( after drying) and re-lube using a 50/50 mix. This cured my die problem. But I use very little lube both times. If I am shooting a hot load I re-lube a third time and stand the boolits up. This seems to put more lube in the grooves. One other item. I use an old one & half liter plastic olive oil bottle to tumble boolits. The olive oil bottle has veins in the bottom. This seems to tumble the boolits more. I was using a margarine bucket but it was too smooth on the inside.

Just my 2 cents, hope it helps.

Vince

Bucks Owin
06-21-2006, 01:30 PM
Seems to me it works best when there IS a fairly heavy coat. My method (before I got a lubrisizer to do bullets "right") was to thin the LLA by heating the bottle under the hot water tap and use full strength with a heavy coating. If the boolits were big enough to handle by the nose I'd just dip the bases in the LLA. Less messy that way....

Of course at the time I shot "as cast" boolits so I wasn't worried about buildup in the sizer etc...

FWIW,

Dennis

mattc
06-21-2006, 01:32 PM
also alchol will clean the stuff up so having a few of the little wipes (like they use when giving you a shot ) is very handy for clean up, the only thing I did not like about it was the nose of the boolit being covered it seamed to rub off on my hands and did not look as good (to me) and if you carry the bullets in your pocket (I know a big no no) a lot of crud will stick to the nose otherwise it worked good