PDA

View Full Version : Whats your views on Wolf primers

Greenhorn44
02-26-2010, 12:14 PM
If you can find them, they are very inexpensive. but why are they not tested in reloading manuals.
Thanks for all your answers.

XTOL
02-26-2010, 12:26 PM
Ive used almost 10K of them in both LP and SP and have
had no problems. Im beginning to really like them and
may keep using them even after supplies return to normal.

870TC
02-26-2010, 12:40 PM
If I could find some locally I would try them. I have used thousands of the Magtech brand with no problems, and those never get listed in manuals either.

MT Gianni
02-26-2010, 12:59 PM
If you can find them, they are very inexpensive. but why are they not tested in reloading manuals.
Thanks for all your answers.

My first guess as to why not tested is that there is no ties to the parent company of the testers. I don't think Hornady/Lyman/Hodgden/ etc buy their primers from gun shows.

Nate1778
02-26-2010, 01:07 PM
I like them for target and plinking loads. I have had a few misfires, but its hard to tell if its me or the primer. I only say this as I have not had a misfires yet with any of the Fed, Rem, or Win primers as of yet.

mpmarty
02-26-2010, 01:34 PM
I use them interchangeably with Winchester LP primers (Wolf LP) and have never had a problem with them. I like them and the Chronograph can't tell the difference. I use them in 45acp, 10mm and cast loads in 7.5X55 and 308. I've never had a failure to go bang.

Lead Fred
02-26-2010, 01:41 PM
Im a primer purest.

I only use a few types, and would never try a discount primer.

I use Rem 9.5s, Federal Match, and CCI 34

Thats it

jonk
02-26-2010, 02:19 PM
They have some of the best results I've ever seen with standard grade primers. Very consistent. Just because they are cheaper doesn't mean they are sub par.

NickSS
02-26-2010, 02:36 PM
I have used several thousand of them in LP size with excellent results and no duds. Speaking about primer problems the only primers I have ever had problems with were federal small rifle primers and remington large rifle primers. The federal primers had blow outs in the radius of the primer cup that resulted in gas cutting of my bolt head on my AR 15 (it was the same load that I had fired several thousand of before this occurred). Federal replaced both my bolt head and the primers that were defective. I use very little remington primers as every time I bought a thousand of them I experienced duds. Not many but a couple per thousand. Every time I investigated I found an anvil that had no piercings to let the flame through as a result I do not buy remington primers.

fredj338
02-26-2010, 02:38 PM
They have some of the best results I've ever seen with standard grade primers. Very consistent. Just because they are cheaper doesn't mean they are sub par.

I have tried them w/ good results. Mnay though are complaining about reliability issues. At the current $$ exchange rate, they are not cheaper than other brands, but they are available. Wolf are not used for domestic ammo production, One reason all the others are in short supply. Manuf. use the majority of their primer production for ammo first & sell the surplus to reloaders.

Freightman
02-26-2010, 02:43 PM
All I have used were as good as the others, anyhow that is all I have been able to find lately.

awaveritt
02-26-2010, 03:07 PM
I've not used Wolf but had a brick of Magtech that worked perfectly.

inuhbad
02-26-2010, 04:18 PM
Great primers for plinking ammo!

I use 'em in 223, 45 ACP, and 38 special with good results. Not the most accurate, but they go bang reliably & safely.

I'll continue to buy them in the future. I'll use Federal or Winchester for more accurate ammo, but WOLF works good for plinking ammo. :drinks:

cptinjeff
02-26-2010, 04:28 PM
Purchased 10k large pistol.........used 4k so far. I really like them for .45acp and .45 colt plinkers. I have been saving my WLP's for magnum loads and haven't even tried wolf for that application.:Fire:

mike in co
02-26-2010, 04:44 PM
Im a primer purest.

I only use a few types, and would never try a discount primer.

I use Rem 9.5s, Federal Match, and CCI 34

Thats it

who told you it was a "discount" primer ??

where has that been posted by the maker/marketer ??

it was a discounted price to break into the market, but not a discounted primer........

mike in co
02-26-2010, 04:47 PM
Great primers for plinking ammo!

I use 'em in 223, 45 ACP, and 38 special with good results. Not the most accurate, but they go bang reliably & safely.

I'll continue to buy them in the future. I'll use Federal or Winchester for more accurate ammo, but WOLF works good for plinking ammo. :drinks:

so 'splain to me ???
why do benchrest shooters use them if they and not the most accurate ?

why do long range(palma and 600/1000 br) shooters use them if they are so bad ??

like any change in component, one must work up a load, not just switch out one part.

mike in co

mroliver77
02-26-2010, 05:46 PM
I seen the writing on the wall and purchased quit a few Wolfe primers at $90/5000. Back a year or two ago. I have shot quite a few of them and many over the chrony. Very good SD ES with groups as good as any other primer. I am amazed at reports of duds. None for me.Some do seem to seat tight and mebbe folks are not getting them seated well? The only complaint I have is the LPM are not "hotter" at least not much. A load with WC 820 that was not reliable with standard primers was a bit better with the Wolfe LPMag and worked great with
fed mag.
Jay

jdgabbard
02-26-2010, 06:07 PM
I seen the writing on the wall and purchased quit a few Wolfe primers at $90/5000. Back a year or two ago. I have shot quite a few of them and many over the chrony. Very good SD ES with groups as good as any other primer. I am amazed at reports of duds. None for me.Some do seem to seat tight and mebbe folks are not getting them seated well? The only complaint I have is the LPM are not "hotter" at least not much. A load with WC 820 that was not reliable with standard primers was a bit better with the Wolfe LPMag and worked great with
fed mag.
Jay

Where did you find them for that price? I think yu need to fill us Wolf users in...

Greenhorn44
02-26-2010, 06:34 PM
Have you ever had any problems seating them. They look like they are a deeper primer than winchester.

BLTsandwedge
02-26-2010, 06:50 PM
They're just fine. To date I've burned about 3,000. There were two misfires- about the same as with WW over the same period/volume. Likely as not I didn't seat them well.

I'd be willing to bet Mike in Co is correct. We're a brand-loyal crowd. I believe it would have taken many years for the Russians to break into the US market with reloading components to the degree they've done- even at deep discount. The Great Scare sped things up for them. I do believe they'll remain a bit cheaper than the legacy brands (legacy brand components? You heard it here first!) only because they are positioning themselves there now. They won't discount their product to the point of being percieved as inferior though (a reasonable market definition of 'discount').

Tom

randyrat
02-26-2010, 08:15 PM
I'm planning on Wolf primers also. Just like i had to switch to Mexican ammo for Bullseye shooting. I had to , i can't wait another 6 months for CCi ammo to come back.
I'm sick of waiting for primers to come back down in price[smilie=l: so i had to burn up some of my stash. I also ain't gonna pay those inflated prices at a limit of 300 at a time. (limite 300 per costomer- the hell)
Sorry i had to burn off some steam. i'm kinda pissed off i have to buy from Mexico and USSR because our own companies can't provide here in the USA.....

Okie2
02-26-2010, 08:22 PM
JDGabbard...they WERE $90/5000 in November...right after the election & before the run....now they are $25.50/1000 @ same place. Went up some. Scott

cptinjeff
02-26-2010, 08:47 PM
Have you ever had any problems seating them. They look like they are a deeper primer than winchester.
Today 02:07 PM

They are no deeper than WLP or others but they are a slight bit wider. They can take a good push to seat them into the primer pocket.

David2011
02-26-2010, 09:00 PM
Lucky you who have found them at low prices! I had to pay $35/K which is what I've been paying for US primers when I can get them. My local store put me on their waiting list for primers several months ago. When they called me last Thursday afternoon to tell me they had 1K avasilable for me I told them I was out of town and would pick them up the following week. The following Tuesday afternoon (they're closed on Mondays) I went to get the primers I had been waiting on for months. They had already sold them to someone else and seemed that they couldn't care less. I wait on them for MONTHS. They wait on me for hours! Had I known how they would treat a customer I could have bought more Wolf while on my trip.

David

Rodfac
02-26-2010, 09:15 PM
Russian made...says it all. I had too many of their 'products' headed in my direction 40 yrs ago. If they made the last primers on earth,or anything else for that matter, I'd take up archery. Rodfac...buy American, it's getting to be a rarity.

02-26-2010, 09:27 PM
Rodfac,

Had that stuff landing around me, too. Yes, I would much prefer to buy CCI or Winchester, but the last two times I needed primers they weren't knocking at my door, Wolf was.

tactikel
02-26-2010, 10:31 PM
I bought 6K because I waited 8 months for CCI, Rem, Federal, Win. I use them for plinking, informal target. The quality is well, Russian. I had 2 misfires in my first 300 rounds (not one in 10K of CCI) They will do (and the price was right) until CCIs come back.

Lead Fred
02-26-2010, 10:39 PM
who told you it was a "discount" primer ??

Most everything made third world is discount in my books

Wireman134
02-26-2010, 10:39 PM
How about moving this thread to "Reloading" section?

Rodfac
02-26-2010, 10:41 PM
Do what you want...buy where you will...but when "they" have the industrial capacity and we've sold them all of ours and the technology to make it work, the next big shooting fracas is going to be a losing proposition for us, or rather our kids...Rodfac

Recluse
02-27-2010, 12:11 AM
For me, the jury is still out.

I've always been a Winchester primer man, but lately, finding Winchester primers has been as hard as finding a pro-freedom molecule in Obama's brain. I like CCI primers as well, especially for all my single-stage loading, but will always prefer Winchester.

Have tried some Wolf primers and to be honest with you, I just don't trust them. I'll buy them--for now--for plinking and just BS shooting, but they'll NEVER be used for any self-defense or hunting ammo.

I've loaded with Winchester and CCI primers for well over thirty years and several hundred thousand rounds. I know and trust them. It's gonna take some time and loaded rounds with Wolf before I even get a tenth of the trust I have in Win/CCI.

I loaded up 100 .38 Specials for my daughter a month or so ago using Wolf primers. Almost half were misfires. About half of those fired on the second or third pull of the trigger, but the rest didn't.

Thought it was a seating problem. The other night I checked the "dud" rounds at and mic'd 'em. Primers were seated perfectly. Firing pin had damn near punched a hole in them from repeated strikes--but no "bang."

Will not take many incidents like that before I give up on Wolf.

:coffee:

mike in co
02-27-2010, 12:34 AM
Thought it was a seating problem. The other night I checked the "dud" rounds at and mic'd 'em. Primers were seated perfectly. Firing pin had damn near punched a hole in them from repeated strikes--but no "bang."

Will not take many incidents like that before I give up on Wolf.

how do you mic a seated primer, and know it is seated correctly ???

you need the depth of the pocket( that pc of brass), the height of the primer minus the crush.........

cannot do that on a primed case..

and yes i did not studder....primers reqiuire a small crush after they bottom out in the pocket.

mike in co

mike in co
02-27-2010, 12:37 AM
Most everything made third world is discount in my books

lol you are lost....russia is not a third world country......

quit living in the past...read and learn....cause you are lost at this point..that statement proves it.

like i siad the first time....you are dead when you quit learning......not when your heart stops beating.

wistlepig1
02-27-2010, 12:55 AM
I have used just under 500 Wolf SR primers so far with NO mis-fires. That's not much of a sampling but so far so good.

Ferdinand
02-27-2010, 01:18 AM
Seeing that there any mis-fires with Wolf will steer me clear of them. I've been using CCI and Win for 20+ years and loaded an estimated 250k rounds. I've never had a FTF that I couldn't attribute to a light firing-pin strike. As much as I'd like to use Wolf for "plinking" ammo, due to its questionable reliability, I can't afford to inventory multilple types of the same primer. I can still buy CCI for $35/1k. However, I'm glad to have Wolf around to create downward price pressure in the market.

canebreaker
02-27-2010, 11:20 AM
The first sleeve of Wolf spm that I bought were 58.00, plus shipping, plus hazmat. The last sleeve was 98.00 plus s/h. I buy 5 sleaves at a time to cut hazmat charge.
The last I saw in store were 39.99 per k plus tax. I've never had a problem with them.

mike in co
02-27-2010, 11:42 AM
Seeing that there any mis-fires with Wolf will steer me clear of them. I've been using CCI and Win for 20+ years and loaded an estimated 250k rounds. I've never had a FTF that I couldn't attribute to a light firing-pin strike. As much as I'd like to use Wolf for "plinking" ammo, due to its questionable reliability, I can't afford to inventory multilple types of the same primer. I can still buy CCI for $35/1k. However, I'm glad to have Wolf around to create downward price pressure in the market.

again.....most of what you are seeing is people learning that not all primers are the same....almost every case we have discussed on this forum has been the gun or the primer not seated .........

but thats ok you guys keep passing on them that leaves more for the rest of us with open minds...

mike in co

Mugs
02-27-2010, 12:23 PM
If in dought about Wolf primers do a search on Benchrest Central. There's several top benchrest shooters using Wolf SRM. I just received a new Sinclair catalog. Fed 205M 36.95 Rem 7 1/2 33.95 Win WSR 31.95 CCI BR4 49.95 Wolf SRM 32.95. Those BR4's must be gold plated.
Mugs
IHMSA 5940L

Recluse
02-27-2010, 01:50 PM
again.....most of what you are seeing is people learning that not all primers are the same....almost every case we have discussed on this forum has been the gun or the primer not seated .........

but thats ok you guys keep passing on them that leaves more for the rest of us with open minds...

mike in co

Mike,

The shooting, casting and powder/primer world is incredibly, undeniably, unequivocally indebted and fortunate to have you as its own mini-Wikipedia guru of All Things Right & Correct.

Why, hell. . . in just the past days, I figured out a number of great reloading mysteries that have puzzled me for over thirty years of reloading and almost fifty years of shooting as a service member, spook, lawman, competition-shooter, hunter and plain ol' junkyard beer-can plinker.

First truth I uncovered was according to you, I'm lucky to be alive as wrong and ignorant as I've been for all these years as it pertains to anything guns and the use of them, loading for them, caring for them, you name it.

In fact, I'm getting cold shivers down my spine right now just thinking about how stupid I was in a few of the foreign lands I served in and arrests I made in which there was gunplay but not having the Knowledge of Mike during those dangerous times.

Just proof, I suppose, that there must be a forgiving and sympathetic God that looks out and over fools like me.

Second thing I uncovered--and this one is going to help a LOT--is that there is only Mike's Way To Do Things.

With that said, there is a good chance I'll be offering up all my piles and piles of reloading books, articles, pictures, notes, video tapes and DVDs and all other useless reference material and selling it on the Swapping & Selling section.

Hell, I don't NEED them anymore. In fact, I may sue the hogsnot out of all those publishers and authors and producer's since I didn't see the name of Mike on them, or Permission From Mike on any of the credits, or "information provided by Mike," anywhere in the reference sections.

I, and tens of thousands of other reloaders and shooters, may very well have been purposefully misled and misled all these years. We've been doing this stuff wrong for countless years and hundreds of thousands of reloaded and fired rounds. All because the publishers and writers and shooters didn't consult Mike Who Knows All. I think they conspired to befoozle us on purpose. . .

Anyone smell a class-action lawsuit in the making?

I'll rely on Mike's Way To Do Things from this glorious, wonderful and joyous day forward because according to you, it's the ONLY way to do things and it works for you, therefore, it Works For Everyone.

Perfect! Beautiful! Fantastic! Awesome! Incredible! PRAISE JESUS!!!

I KNEW today was gonna be a great day!

(Insert the "Zippity-do-da" them music")

gray wolf
02-27-2010, 02:00 PM
What a bunch of un-called for attitude garbage coming from some guys here.
Man are we on the edge or what ?
Some folks are just giving advise from what they have seen. You don't like it? then pass up on it. For crying out loud what the heck is happening to some of you?

Lead Fred
02-27-2010, 02:27 PM

Its had third world industry for 100 years or better now.

Someone asked for my opinion, I gave it, and it stands.

I come from real America, where you paid for quality, not cheaper quantity.

Maybe thats why I drive a restored 60s car, that has no plastic in it, and has never been recalled.

Ive been using Rem, CCI, and Federal primers for over 40 years, and have never had one failure.

The posted 2/1000 failure rate is way to high for me.

You never know when that is going to happen, and your life may depend on it

Storydude
02-27-2010, 02:43 PM

quit living in the past...read and learn....cause you are lost at this point..that statement proves it.

like i siad the first time....you are dead when you quit learning......not when your heart stops beating.

But Bulgaria IS. And that just happens to be where the Novlyesk Small Electronic plant is.

You know, the plant that is currently making Wolf primers for the Wolf distribuiting company? Wolf doesnt make ANYTHING they sell.

Russ68
02-27-2010, 03:19 PM
I buy American made every chance I get. This first thing I do when I pick something up in the store, is check the "Made In _____" tag.

But... I only ordered Wolf primers after I seated the very last Winchester primer I had - and I haven't seen any on the shelf at stores around here for more than a year... I've not had any problems with SP,LP & LR Wolf primers yet though - they all went BANG when they were supposed to in my smokeless and BP cartridge loads.

I usually use CCI or Winchester, but I was out of primers and I'll be darned if I'm going to take up a different hobby or quit shooting - so I ordered what I found available.

:lovebooli

helg
02-27-2010, 03:23 PM
But Bulgaria IS. And that just happens to be where the Novlyesk Small Electronic plant is.

You know, the plant that is currently making Wolf primers for the Wolf distribuiting company? Wolf doesnt make ANYTHING they sell.

1. Here are Wolf primers that are being offered in factory-labeled boxes
http://www.flame.murom.ru/en/Htmls/primers.htm

2. Label "made in Russia" is printed on every Wolf primer box.

3. Since becoming the member of EU and NATO, Bulgaria has definitely became a country of the third world. Sic transit...

Crash_Corrigan
02-27-2010, 03:33 PM
I started to buy and use Wolf Primers long before Obama was a household cuss word. Way back I could get them for $80 for 5000 primers. So I bought as many as I could afford.

For the last year primers were hard to find anywhere and I had to cut back on my shooting. I did a lot of casting and took up RC Sailboating to fill in my time.

Recently I have been able to get primers again. I still like the Wolf brand. Cheaper than domestic and I have not had any duds yet.

For carry ammo, I always use factory and keep the empty boxes in my gun safe to produce in court if needed.

I will say that some of the LP primers are more difficult to seat in primer pockets but then I saw that the pockets were dirty and I cleaned them and the "problem" went away. I will use what I can find and if the prices of domestic primers do not come down I will continue to use Wolf or Magtech primers.

Okie2
02-27-2010, 08:58 PM
Crash...I'm with you. Self defense is "factory ammo" of a manufacture and model that "a jury" would've heard....Wouldn't want them to THINK I was using something "out of the ordinary" to protect myself. A matter of CYA...good idea to keep the box...I have a box & a couple extra rounds available. No problem using Wolf....these days it's a matter of getting what you can get & when you can get it.

mpmarty
02-27-2010, 09:03 PM
Is someone a bit touchy here?:kidding:

mike in co
02-28-2010, 02:24 AM
Mike,

The shooting, casting and powder/primer world is incredibly, undeniably, unequivocally indebted and fortunate to have you as its own mini-Wikipedia guru of All Things Right & Correct.

Why, hell. . . in just the past days, I figured out a number of great reloading mysteries that have puzzled me for over thirty years of reloading and almost fifty years of shooting as a service member, spook, lawman, competition-shooter, hunter and plain ol' junkyard beer-can plinker.

First truth I uncovered was according to you, I'm lucky to be alive as wrong and ignorant as I've been for all these years as it pertains to anything guns and the use of them, loading for them, caring for them, you name it.

In fact, I'm getting cold shivers down my spine right now just thinking about how stupid I was in a few of the foreign lands I served in and arrests I made in which there was gunplay but not having the Knowledge of Mike during those dangerous times.

Just proof, I suppose, that there must be a forgiving and sympathetic God that looks out and over fools like me.

Second thing I uncovered--and this one is going to help a LOT--is that there is only Mike's Way To Do Things.

With that said, there is a good chance I'll be offering up all my piles and piles of reloading books, articles, pictures, notes, video tapes and DVDs and all other useless reference material and selling it on the Swapping & Selling section.

Hell, I don't NEED them anymore. In fact, I may sue the hogsnot out of all those publishers and authors and producer's since I didn't see the name of Mike on them, or Permission From Mike on any of the credits, or "information provided by Mike," anywhere in the reference sections.

I, and tens of thousands of other reloaders and shooters, may very well have been purposefully misled and misled all these years. We've been doing this stuff wrong for countless years and hundreds of thousands of reloaded and fired rounds. All because the publishers and writers and shooters didn't consult Mike Who Knows All. I think they conspired to befoozle us on purpose. . .

I'll rely on Mike's Way To Do Things from this glorious, wonderful and joyous day forward because according to you, it's the ONLY way to do things and it works for you, therefore, it Works For Everyone.

nothing more or less than i would expect from an ill tempered texan......
you just proved your title is correct.

no, you would have a hard time learning from me, after all, you are from texas, and have little education.......making tortillas is probably more your speed.....

maybe you could come back to earth and explain *** you are talking about.....

the rest of us will continue on with our lives....

mike in co

mike in co
02-28-2010, 02:37 AM

thats strange the cases of wolf primers i sell say :

P/o 17, murom, vladimir reagion, 602267, RUSSIA

Murom Apparatus Producing Plant

MADE IN RUSSIA

so where did your info come from ??

mike in co

mike in co
02-28-2010, 02:45 AM
Its had third world industry for 100 years or better now.

Someone asked for my opinion, I gave it, and it stands.

I come from real America, where you paid for quality, not cheaper quantity.

Maybe thats why I drive a restored 60s car, that has no plastic in it, and has never been recalled.

Ive been using Rem, CCI, and Federal primers for over 40 years, and have never had one failure.

The posted 2/1000 failure rate is way to high for me.

You never know when that is going to happen, and your life may depend on it

well as long as its your opinion that fine, as long as you understand you are still in the dark ages. you have no facts to support your opinion, so its jsut that your opinion.
your 60's reference shows you are about 50 years out of touch with reality.

have fun in your world.

mike in co
ps , if you want stats,,,i'm at somehting just over 375,000 wolf primers with no failure to fire...

Recluse
02-28-2010, 12:22 PM
Is someone a bit touchy here?:kidding:

Nah, just fed up with someone's constant belittling, arrogant, holier-than-thou, always-right/never-wrong mentality.

Same exact thing happened a while back when someone had some legitimate problems with a batch of CCI primers. The Galena Lami swooped in and ridiculed the member basically stating it was impossible for components to ever be bad and this it was always the loader's fault. :rolleyes:

Funny thing is that a few of us called CCI (I called Olin Winchester--friend of mine works in marketing there) and were told that bad components DO happen which is why they rely upon the shooters/reloaders to tell them--and to tell them which lot number the problem occurred with.

Obviously, these manufacturers didn't first consult with the Galena Lami. . . :rolleyes:

shooterg
02-28-2010, 12:37 PM
Sure is entertaining reading this thread . Maybe it's just cabin fever, we all need to get out and shoot ! BTW-my New Year's resolution was to shoot EVERY day, even if I have to go outside at 11:59 PM and hope to find the neighbor's cat outside.....

mike in co
02-28-2010, 12:56 PM
Mike,

well lets look at it this way:
i have never had a wolf primer fail to go off, and you just had a bunch fail to go off.
so you are the one with a problem, not me
so maybe i do know how to use them and maybe you should open your ears, close your mouth and listen to what is being said to you....
measuring the height of the primer below the case does not tell one the primer is fully seated.

i notice you never posted the retest that was suggested for your failures.

now you have a nice day.

mike in co

870TC
02-28-2010, 01:27 PM
Maybe the easiest thing to do here is to go to the top of the page, find and click USER CP, then under OPTIONS find and click EDIT IGNORE LIST.... May make life less stressful, for everyone.

Crash_Corrigan
02-28-2010, 01:35 PM
What a bunch of Hoor Rah over nothing. This flaming back and forth is entertaining to say the least but does denegrate the integrity of this forum.

Calm down fellas. Can't we agree to disagree and not get personal about it?

I find this forum useful and informative and my skillset has really improved since I joined this site.

I do find that this flaming back and forth unnecessary and does not promote the general good will amongst members and the visitors to the forum.

Maybe it is time for a moderator to step in and close this thread down or at least impose a cooling off period like they used to do when congress invoked the Taft-Hartley act in a labor dispute?