PDA

View Full Version : Is this gonna be safe!!

Greenhorn44
02-26-2010, 09:48 AM
I got a picture hear of a round i completed and had a couple questions as if this is chamber worthy.

http://98.136.86.48/us.f657.mail.yahoo.com/ya/securedownload?

The picture shows how the edge of the crimp groove is well into the brass
My question is...
If i crimp at the groove, my round is way over 1.610. Does this matter?

HORNET
02-26-2010, 10:26 AM
If it's for a revolver, will it fit in the cylinder if crimped in the groove without binding it up? If so, shoot it. If it's for rifle, will it cycle through the action if crimped in the groove? Some leverguns have OAL related feeding problems. If it cycles ok, shoot them. Overall length in the manuals is for reference since its such a pain to measure the seating depth, which is what really affects case volume and pressures. Longer OAL gives more volume & lower pressures, which can be good as long as it functions.

Tazman1602
02-26-2010, 11:31 AM
I *think* you'll be OK with that although I'd have to have the gun and the round to tell you. I *can* tell you that I have an issue with a Lyman 358311 cast in my .357 -- if I seat in the crimp groove it is WAY too long to chamber right in the revolver -- won't go past the barrel as the nose sticks out so I have to shove the bullet deeper and crimp to the top driving band to get length down enough to chamber properly. All my brass is trimmed to length so I know that's not the issue and it doesn't have that problem in my wife's .38 Smith. None of my other .38 cal bullets have this issue, just the 358311.......................

Big thing is does it CLEAR the end of the cylinder in the revolver?

Art

Recluse
02-26-2010, 11:54 AM
Looks fine, but for comfort's sake, what and how much powder are you using, what is the boolit weight, etc. And, what gun are you going to shoot these from? It's hard to screw up a .38 but not too hard to screw up a .357.

My general rule of thumb is if it will chamber, it will fire.

With that being said, I then pay attention to pressure stats so as not to go blowing anything up.

:coffee:

Greenhorn44
02-26-2010, 11:57 AM
I see. Its becoming very clear to me. OAL is just a suggestion. It really depends on what gun you'll be shooting them through. In my case it will be The Ruger Alaskan, Super Redhawk.
As long as the tip of the bullet doesnt protrude the cylinder. I can crimp it in the groove.
A++ Just what i needed to hear. I hope i didnt increase the pressure to much to get my OAL 1.610

Greenhorn44
02-26-2010, 12:10 PM
Im using 10.7 Unique, behind a 240 grain cast, new brass, wolf primer

captain-03
02-26-2010, 12:21 PM
[QUOTE=Greenhorn44;823569]I see. Its becoming very clear to me. OAL is just a suggestion. It really depends on what gun you'll be shooting them through. /QUOTE]

Well, Yes and No .... OAL is a safety issue .... be extremely careful with OAL in such pistols as 9mm, 40S&W and 45acp ... too short and you may have dangerous pressure problems!!

243winxb
02-26-2010, 01:19 PM
Length and Load are OK.

yondering
02-26-2010, 01:38 PM
I suggest pulling that bullet back out, and seating it to the crimp groove as it's intended.

Seating depth is at least as important as bullet weight. When you seat the bullet deeper, pressures go up dramatically.

Where did you find data that says to seat that bullet to 1.610? If you're using data for a different bullet, even though it's the same weight, do not assume the OAL should be the same. Look at where the crimp groove is on the bullet, and how much case capacity the bullet takes up, compared to the one you have load data for.

More case capacity is OK. Less case capacity (seating deeper) is NOT safe, unless you really understand what you're doing.

You also didn't say what cartridge, and the picture is too fuzzy to tell. 44 Mag?

Greenhorn44
02-26-2010, 01:51 PM
Where did you find data that says to seat that bullet to 1.610? If you're using data for a different bullet, even though it's the same weight, do not assume the OAL should be the same. Look at where the crimp groove is on the bullet, and how much case capacity the bullet takes up, compared to the one you have load data for.

Both my lyman and lee manual states the OAL 1.610 In order to get that I had to seat the bullet deeper.

Is This AOL 1.610 a minimum
Yep its a 44mag

yondering
02-26-2010, 02:08 PM
Both my lyman and lee manual states the OAL 1.610 In order to get that I had to seat the bullet deeper.

Is This AOL 1.610 a minimum
Yep its a 44mag

Ignore OAL data in the Lee manual, for the most part. Data in the Lee manual is copied from other sources, and often the specific bullet is not specified.

Load data for two different bullets of the same weight can be very different; for example a SWC like yours, and a WFN design. The WFN is a more compact design, and may have a shorter OAL at the crimp groove while still occupying less case capacity.

Your bullet has a fairly long skinny nose, so it will require deeper seating for the same OAL.

Was the Lyman data for that specific bullet?

11gr Unique in the .44 Mag is a stiff enough load that I think you need to seat that bullet out properly, to the crimp groove, or use data for a heavier bullet.

Greenhorn44
02-26-2010, 02:20 PM
Yes sir.
240gr. lead cast

I loaded 10.6 of unique. max stats 11.6. I guess that doesnt leave much room for error. Well I made 50 of the rounds last night. Better safe than sorry. Looks like I get to really try out my new bullet puller.
I was really trying hard not to be the first draw bullet puller guy.
Thanks to all!!

I appriciate all the info.

Slow Elk 45/70
02-26-2010, 04:17 PM
Shoot them, they won't be a problem with the information you provided, If you are concerned with OAL, make up a dummy round that fits your cylinder of your pistol and set your dies accordingly...Good Luck

mroliver77
02-26-2010, 06:13 PM
I personally would shoot them.
they are not loaded that much deeper than crimp groove. You are a grain under listed max. Your gun is very strong!. Of coarse fire one and examine it before proceeding. Don't let us catch you doing this again!!
Jay

Greenhorn44
02-26-2010, 06:30 PM
I dont know. Them manuals got me scared. dont want to make myself a case statistic.
Them boolits are pretty deep. I think i will back a couple out, put a good crimp on em, (In the proper spot) Check my clearance, and let er fly.
if all is well, it shouldnt take me long to back out 50 rounds. (i sure am glad i didnt do 100)

Safety First, Gotta set a good excample for the little uns.