PDA

View Full Version : 1st time casting, need input

44fanatic
02-25-2010, 10:13 PM
Im new and still learning allot. Had fun smelting down 150lbs of wheel weights and have now cast a couple of hundred 44 and 9mm bullets. It has been pretty relaxing so far and enjoying the heck out of it.

Both of my moulds are Lee moulds.
For the 44's, bullet weight is ranging from 254-259 grains. The mould is a 240gr mould. Im not surprised that I have heavier bullets and I did adjust the temp on my pot while casting which probably explains the difference in bullet weight.

For the 9mm, bullet weights were 125-126 gr. Smaller bullet, smaller varience.

Now for my serious questions. With the difference in bullet weights, what issues am I looking at? . Do I need to seperate these bullets by weight? I have a Lee and Hornady loading manual and cant find any load data for the 44 in those bullet weights reccomendations on where to find load data?

Loading strictly for the pleasure of loading and hitting paper, accuracy is not a major concern with my bullet casting at this time.

targetshootr
02-25-2010, 10:30 PM
Separating depends on your demands. For competition, sure, but not for plinking. Is there still a Wrangler plant in Clarksville?

44fanatic
02-25-2010, 10:40 PM
First Ive heard of a Wrangler (Jeans or Jeep???)plant here...Been here since 2002 but been gone half that time. Could be here but have never heard of it.

So, for just putting holes in paper Im good...now I just need to find load data.

targetshootr
02-25-2010, 10:45 PM
Back in the day it was actually a Blue Bell denim plant before they sold out to VF. Good times.

I use 7 or 8 gr Universal for 44 mag plinkers.

lylejb
02-25-2010, 10:47 PM
For plinking, don't worry about the slight grain weight variation. This is mostly a concern for match / maximum accuracy shooting. Have fun.

I would encourage you to measure, with a micrometer, the boolits diameter. This can be a concern. An undersize boolit is likely to cause leading in the bore, and that's no fun.

The weight variation most likely is from variations in tecnique, and/ or temperature. This will improve with practice.

The weight of the boolits not matching the advertised weight is due to your alloy. Every mould maker has their own idea of what alloy "should" be used and rates their moulds based on "their" alloy. This isn't a problem, just keep in mind your boolits are slightly heavier, and load accordingly.

As always in reloading, start light and work up.

Hope this helps, and welcome

randyrat
02-25-2010, 10:47 PM
Check this data for a 250 gr bullet 44 mag...

http://www.reloadammo.com/44loads.htm

Then check this one for your 9mm

http://www.reloadammo.com/9mloads.htm

02-25-2010, 11:19 PM
44fanatic,

Lyman's "Cast Bullet Handbook" is a must have. It'll give you loads for that 250+grain Keith weight boolit. Alliant 2400 will push it along, just fine, from Special to Magnum loads.

qajaq59
02-26-2010, 07:50 AM
It has been pretty relaxing so far and enjoying the heck out of it. I'd say you are hooked for life. And that's a good thing.

Thumbcocker
02-26-2010, 09:57 AM
6.5 of red dot under a 250 grainer has been good to me.

44fanatic
02-27-2010, 02:14 AM
Thanks for all the input. Back on track.