PDA

View Full Version : A crazy confession.

rwt101
02-24-2010, 10:43 PM
I think I have inhaled too much lead fumes? I enjoy casting boolits--I enjoy preparing the brass --I enjoy reloading --I enjoy working on my pistols and rifles, but I don't enjoy shooting them that much!!!!! Am I totally wacko?

Bob T:veryconfu:veryconfu

1Shirt
02-24-2010, 10:45 PM
What ever floats your boat. Am sure there are some around that would be happy to shoot what you are willing to load.
1Shirt!:coffee:

Tazman1602
02-24-2010, 10:51 PM
No, don't think so. I get equal enjoyment from casting and reloading as I do out of shooting my guns. But what I REALLY like is fixin' someone up who's a much better shooter than I am with the right ammo/load because he can't do that as well as I can.

Older I get, worse my eyes get and better my skills at casting and reloading get...............

Heavy lead
02-24-2010, 10:57 PM
I love to shoot and do enjoy to cast, reload and accurize rifles, handguns, you name it. But in the last year I've truly enjoyed watching my 15 year old nephew learn to shoot, hunt, and reload under good supervision, he's doing a good job and learning what I think is the right way, it's much more fun cranking out a couple hundred .357's some 12 gauge target loads and some other assorted rifle loads for our weakly sessions at the range so we can spend time at the range and not in the basement. I almost would rather spot for him at the 200 yard range while he's shooting prone than shoot myself.

geargnasher
02-24-2010, 10:57 PM
I think I have inhaled too much lead fumes? I enjoy casting boolits--I enjoy preparing the brass --I enjoy reloading --I enjoy working on my pistols and rifles, but I don't enjoy shooting them that much!!!!! Am I totally wacko?

Bob T:veryconfu:veryconfu

Yes, you are totally nuts and need to move to the Texas Hill Country where you can rehabilitate by keeping my wife's .38 fed! [smilie=1:

Gear

docone31
02-24-2010, 10:59 PM
It is almost a disappointment to me to fire my rifles.
First of all, I am hard of seeing. My rifles constantly outshoot me. I rarely bother to put up a target anymore. I use whatever is on the back drop.
I love the knowing though.
Let those young pups blaze away. My wife can outshoot them.
I really enjoy assisting her in her shooting.
That really makes it worthwhile.

Mrs.Geargnasher
02-24-2010, 11:00 PM
Yes, you are totally nuts and need to move to the Texas Hill Country where you can rehabilitate by keeping my wife's .38 fed! [smilie=1:

Gear

I agree...:)

RobS
02-24-2010, 11:04 PM
I reload so I can shoot!!!! I like to make the best load for the best bullet for whatever application I am working on. I buy different molds so I can start all over again or at least that is what my wife thinks. You are not crazy at all.

As long as you are enjoying yourself........................carry on, carry on!!!!

autofix4u
02-24-2010, 11:40 PM
Nope your not crazy, some times I think I shoot just so can handload, and a fresh box of range brass makes my happy!!!!
Lately my kids shoot & I spot. My 13 year old girls are better shooters than I ever was. If you have never seen a teenage girl empty a 44mag, its scary.

DeanoBeanCounter
02-25-2010, 03:01 AM
Just remember. People who don't think they are crazy.....are.
Dean

lwknight
02-25-2010, 03:34 AM
I started reloading so I could afford to shoot. Then I started having to shoot so I could reload. Then I started casting so I could reload. Now I shoot so I can reload so I can cast.

To the OP: You sound like you are a real gun smith at heart.

captaint
02-25-2010, 03:36 AM
Crazy?? No. I've told people a million times - if I just bought ammo and shot it up, shootin just wouldn't be that fun. It's like OK lets see what THIS load can do. We all know that one day were going to shoot 5 or 6 or 8 and there is going to be just one small hole in the paper. Good thing it hasn't happened yet, cause, then what??? enjoy Mike

Ed Barrett
02-25-2010, 03:38 AM
Insanity is supposed to be doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. Which seems to fit most of the benchrest shooters I know to a tee.

lwknight
02-25-2010, 04:53 AM
I used to be a bench shooter. Shooting paper is boooorring!!! I think bench shooting is to prove out accuracy and sight adjustment. Then let the fun begin. Offhand moving targets is where its at.

WILCO
02-25-2010, 08:18 AM
Am I totally wacko?

Yep. Save youself! Put all your gear into a crate and ship it to me. :mrgreen:

Wayne Smith
02-25-2010, 08:35 AM
No, not crazy. For most of us the creative urges need to be satisfied. For those of us in positions that do not allow that or that do not allow the experience of completion our hobbies take on that role. Reloading is more creative than shooting and casting is even more creative. When you add needs to be productive to the creative urges the greater the challenge and the more variables that can be manupulated the better. Having all those bright brass cases filled and tipped with lead is satisfying in and of itself. Shooting is the bonus.

HORNET
02-25-2010, 09:28 AM
captaint said:
We all know that one day were going to shoot 5 or 6 or 8 and there is going to be just one small hole in the paper.
I've done that....all the other boolits missed the sheet completely.

redneckdan
02-25-2010, 09:44 AM
For me its more fun to acquire the parts and build the rifle than it is to shoot it.

largom
02-25-2010, 09:45 AM
Crazy?? No. I've told people a million times - if I just bought ammo and shot it up, shootin just wouldn't be that fun. It's like OK lets see what THIS load can do. We all know that one day were going to shoot 5 or 6 or 8 and there is going to be just one small hole in the paper. Good thing it hasn't happened yet, cause, then what??? enjoy Mike

captaint has the answer. Going out and shooting a 2 in. group at 100 yds. is not fun or much of a challenge. Trying to put them all in one hole IS a challenge. I try to make my HANDLOADS [not reloads] as precise as possible. I work the gun, bedding, trigger, throat, etc. I weigh brass, weigh boolits, weigh powder, change the load, well you know. I truly love Handloading and making ammo better than any factory. I like to shoot also and have my own 350 yd. range set up in 50 yd. stages. And IF I ever do shoot that one hole group, then there is a safe full of other guns/calibers to try next.

Larry

RayinNH
02-25-2010, 10:02 AM
For me its more fun to acquire the parts and build the rifle than it is to shoot it.

Dan that's a sure sign you need to build smaller caliber rifles [smilie=l:...Ray

rwt101
02-25-2010, 10:20 AM

I used to rebuild cj Jeeps and I found the same thing there . Finding the parts and doing the rebuild was the challenge. When it was finished then I sold it. Didn't make much off of it though. Then onto the next one.

Bob T

Lloyd Smale
02-25-2010, 10:29 AM
i enjoy casting and loading. It gives me something to do in the winter but bottom line is it makes it affordable to do the amount of shooting i do. Just a nessisary evil.

Mumblypeg
02-25-2010, 10:54 AM
The simple truth is... we're all crazy or we wouldn't be here.

badgeredd
02-25-2010, 11:00 AM
Well put Mumbly!!!

Edd