PDA

View Full Version : Loose gas checks

Jumbopanda
02-24-2010, 09:09 PM
I cast some 440gr .501" bullets with a Lee mold and it seems that the gas checks are rather loose. I can wiggle the checks a bit with my fingernail after sizing. In addition it seems that the bullets come out at .500-502", slightly out of round, not leaving much extra material, and sliding through my .501" sizer with very little effort. I've shot quite a few of these bullets without noticing this, and the accuracy seems on par with any other rifle I shoot, although my rifle marksmanship skills leave something to be desired so I don't know exactly how good these bullets are. I've got about a hundred or so left, without gas checks. Should I add checks and shoot them or just melt them all down? I really want to send this mold back to Lee and have them take a look at it. I also cast 300gr .452" gas-checked bullets using a Lee mold and those checks go on rock solid.

stubshaft
02-24-2010, 10:36 PM
I wouldn't worry about it too much. Before Hornady developed the crimp on check all that was available were the slip on ones. I would send the mould back to Lee as it seems to be casting slightly undersize for you.

Buckshot
02-25-2010, 01:05 AM
..............You can anneal the GC's to make them softer, and with no springback they may hold tight enough to satisfy your needs.

.............Buckshot

Echo
02-25-2010, 01:11 AM
Or - you might lap out the GC section of the mold a little bit & try, try again...

Jumbopanda
02-25-2010, 01:26 AM
Or - you might lap out the GC section of the mold a little bit & try, try again...

That right there doesn't seem like a bad idea.

Will
02-25-2010, 08:38 AM
loose checks can come off and spin off about 30 degrees from line of sight. A check moving 2000fps can do some real harm. I lost a storm window that way.

runfiverun
02-25-2010, 12:35 PM
look into lee-menting in the stickies you can round out that mold some too.
the shank for the g/c's i'd do in another operation.

HORNET
02-25-2010, 01:51 PM
I'd agree that you could probably stand to Lee-ment it just a tad to improve roundness, but I'd leave the Gas check shank is it is unless they're so loose that they fall off. When they hit the rifling and get engraved, it's probably going to lock them on that shank very tightly. The rifling lands are going to shove about half of the outside of the check inward about .003 inch.

mpmarty
02-25-2010, 03:05 PM
Same problem with my RD 45/70 boolits. After going through the sizer I can flip off the checks with a fingernail. I have found that pulling the boolit often leaves the check in the case. Hemostat time!

Duckiller
02-25-2010, 03:45 PM
A drop of super glue in the check just before installation and sizing should keep the check on and in place.