PDA

View Full Version : It would be handy to have a vendors page....

happy7
02-24-2010, 02:39 PM
I know we have a vendors section, but it is not the same. It would be handy to have a page which is linked to from the castboolits front page with a list of all the vendor sponsors and a link to their website. If we already have this, I apologize, but I haven't found it. What I am getting at is a quick way to get to their website in case of wanting to double check their contact info, products, etc.

mike in co
02-24-2010, 05:16 PM
I know we have a vendors section, but it is not the same. It would be handy to have a page which is linked to from the castboolits front page with a list of all the vendor sponsors and a link to their website. If we already have this, I apologize, but I haven't found it. What I am getting at is a quick way to get to their website in case of wanting to double check their contact info, products, etc.

vendor/sponsor above the swappin and sellin forum

seperate forum...

mike in co

happy7
02-24-2010, 08:13 PM
What I am saying is that the vendor/sponsor forum is not really very helpful when you want to look up a specific sponsor. You have to wade through a bunch of posts to find the vendor you are wanting to look up unless they have posted recently, and then that post might not have a link to their website. I am suggesting a webpage we can navigate to with a list of the vendors and a link to their website. Real simple, but helpful, I think.

montana_charlie
02-24-2010, 08:29 PM
Do you have to wade through a bunch of posts to find the Midway website...or Graf's?
I bet you have your own method for keeping track of them.

If our vendors have websites, you can put links to them in your Favorites...or in a folder on your Desktop.
Do you really need 'the government' to do this for you?

CM

1Shirt
02-24-2010, 08:34 PM
Well said Charlie!
1Shirt!:coffeecom

S.R.Custom
02-24-2010, 08:41 PM
What I am saying is that the vendor/sponsor forum is not really very helpful when you want to look up a specific sponsor....

The search function has the option to search by Username. Example:

Say you wanted to see a list of the all the stuff yours truly is selling, you'd go to Search (advanced option), type in my username there on the top right, and pick the Vendor/Sponsor forum directly below that.

(If you actually used me as the example, you wouldn't find anything --yet-- but that's how you do it.)

happy7
02-24-2010, 11:13 PM
I don't need it, but it would be handy, which if you look at the first post you will see that the word I used was handy.

As far as Midway or Grafs, their websites are their names. Very easy. Further, there are links to them from all over the web, including google. It is not the same thing. I maintain that it would be handy. If the powers that be don't like it, no biggy, but there is no need to belittle me for my suggestion.

This is yet another examply of the negativity we have on this forum these days. I make a little suggestion and get ridiculed. I tell you what, I am about done with trying to make a positive contribution to this forum.

Do you have to wade through a bunch of posts to find the Midway website...or Graf's?

If our vendors have websites, you can put links to them in your Favorites...or in a folder on your Desktop.

CM

mike in co
02-24-2010, 11:58 PM
I don't need it, but it would be handy, which if you look at the first post you will see that the word I used was handy.

As far as Midway or Grafs, their websites are their names. Very easy. Further, there are links to them from all over the web, including google. It is not the same thing. I maintain that it would be handy. If the powers that be don't like it, no biggy, but there is no need to belittle me for my suggestion.

This is yet another examply of the negativity we have on this forum these days. I make a little suggestion and get ridiculed. I tell you what, I am about done with trying to make a positive contribution to this forum.

but , as you can see, what you consider an improvement, others see as a waste....it is an idividual view of the same thing....6 of one, half a dozen of the other.......

if you offer a suggestion you must be open to comments, both positive and negative......

Adam10mm
02-25-2010, 10:20 AM
However, the condescending attitudes need to be checked at the door.

badgeredd
02-25-2010, 10:34 AM

Honestly, I think a locked sticky in the vendor section with the webpage links would be a great idea, but that's MHO.

Edd

45nut
02-25-2010, 11:51 AM
Not all the Vendor Sponsors have webpages,, but I was working on that anyway. Some of them are hosted at Castpics under member products however.

montana_charlie
02-25-2010, 02:10 PM
If you are reading a post written by a Vendor, and you would like to return to that post easily at some future time, you can click a couple of buttons...and create a link to that thread in your own 'My Favorites' folder. The vendor doesn't really need his own webpage...the URL of his thread will do the same thing.

Earlier, I made a couple of suggestion about how a guy can 'manage' vendor information.
That was not to display a 'condesending attitude', it was a boost toward self-reliance.
A normal, common sense, self-assured, individual would probably have said, "You know...you're right. I don't need somebody to do this for me."

Instead, we have a person who immediately feels insulted...and says he's done.

To dig any deeper into the whys and wherefores of that would throw this thread into the Political and Religious section. But one thing about this forum is analagous with the federal government.

In an effort to 'do more' for the member...
As a means of 'making life easier' for the average Joe...
This forum has more than doubled in size and complexity since the day I stumbled in during a Google search, and I am not even talking about the size of the membership.

Some might call it 'improvement' while others may call it 'bloat'.
But, it is certainly 'progressive'.

I'm just sayin'...

CM

RobS
02-25-2010, 02:25 PM
However, the condescending attitudes need to be checked at the door.

+1
There is a right to have an opinion and no one here is taking that away, but what makes us decent people is how we find the modesty of bringing a negative opinion to view in a way that doesn't communicate a negative overtone. This I am sure we can all come to agree upon.

The Double D
02-25-2010, 04:05 PM
Show me a page that list all the sponsors with their contact info and nothing else?

Adam10mm
02-25-2010, 05:35 PM
If you are reading a post written by a Vendor, and you would like to return to that post easily at some future time, you can click a couple of buttons...and create a link to that thread in your own 'My Favorites' folder. The vendor doesn't really need his own webpage...the URL of his thread will do the same thing.

Earlier, I made a couple of suggestion about how a guy can 'manage' vendor information.
That was not to display a 'condesending attitude', it was a boost toward self-reliance.
A normal, common sense, self-assured, individual would probably have said, "You know...you're right. I don't need somebody to do this for me."

Instead, we have a person who immediately feels insulted...and says he's done.

To dig any deeper into the whys and wherefores of that would throw this thread into the Political and Religious section. But one thing about this forum is analagous with the federal government.

In an effort to 'do more' for the member...
As a means of 'making life easier' for the average Joe...
This forum has more than doubled in size and complexity since the day I stumbled in during a Google search, and I am not even talking about the size of the membership.

Some might call it 'improvement' while others may call it 'bloat'.
But, it is certainly 'progressive'.

I'm just sayin'...

CM
So since you're pontificating about self-reliance, why are you on a discussion forum? Can't you do it yourself, since everyone needs to be self reliant? Didn't think so.

crabo
02-25-2010, 07:11 PM
Amazing how a simple suggestion degraded so quickly.

Recluse
02-25-2010, 07:22 PM
What the living HELL is going on?!?

Last time I looked, which was just a moment ago, I saw Ken's name as Site Owner. Willy owns the Gunloads thing, and we have a pretty damned good staff here capable of making pretty damned good decisions about how to run Cast Boolits.

Personally, my first thought on reading the title of this post was "Why? We already have links and a Vendors forum."

But upon reading the suggestion and the "why" that went with it, I think it's a pretty good idea. A win-win for Cast Boolits, our Vendors and our forum members.

I also think that's a decision for Ken & Co. to make and consider. After all, he IS the OWNER and we are all GUESTS here.

Trying to recall last time I read about Ken/staff responding to a suggestion like that. Why, son-of-a-gun, I can't recall one!

What happened to civility?

DAMN!

:coffee:

largom
02-25-2010, 07:45 PM
As a computer dumb a@@ I think it is a great idea. I have a lot of trouble navigating thru sites. My daughter is trying to teach me and gets frustrated. She tells her friends " My dad can take a tree stump and a piece of iron and turn them into a gun, but he can't use a simple computer".

Not only do I think it would benefit our forum, I think it would benefit our venders and sponsers even more. If us dummies can't find them we can't buy their products. I appreciate this members suggestion on how to improve the site.As already stated the decision is up to the owners.

Larry

fishhawk
02-25-2010, 09:00 PM
just because we havn't posted any thing on the thread does not meen we havn't seen threads. theres lots of talking among the mods about many things on the board. so just because we didn't post doesn't meen its a file 13 idea. steve k

Barnowl
02-25-2010, 09:52 PM

CM

This response is not the least bit useful. As I read it happy7 was suggesting a simple list of Vendors and contact info, a consolidation of sorts. If you have no interest in the idea then just ignore it and move on to another thread you find more interesting. An opposing viewpoint is not the same as a negative comment. I have seen this type of response in other threads here and happy7 is right, makes one think twice about posting.

Respectfully, of course,
Kevin

wiersy111
02-25-2010, 10:42 PM
I would like to add my .02 cents. The reason I have been attracted to this site is the helpful and civil members. That being said the original idea of a sponsor page would be helpful, just my thoughts as I have had a few frustrating experiences trying to find vendors products. Usually all I have to do is ask the question and someone will post and put me on the right trail. The negative public slamming of someone for their idea good or bad is uncalled for. Just a guess but if the rolls were reversed I would bet a whole bunch of pretty lead that the response to the negative attitude would have been worse.

Red River Rick
02-26-2010, 01:37 AM
When Ken contacted me about the Vendor/Sponsors section, I thought, and still think it's a great idea. Only problem is, as Happy7 has mentioned, is trying to find anything in there can be a PITA.

Most of the original threads have had so many posts added to them, you can't make out much unless you go thru the whole thing. And some Vendor/Sponsors have mutiple threads going.

I can't edit my original post on my Vendor/Sponsor thread, it's timed out. So if want to add more info, I have to add another post or bug Ken to do it for me.

As some have mentioned, having one thread per Vendor/Sponsor, locked so no other post can be added, allowing each Vendor/Sponsor to list their services, products and wares. They could also edit or add additional info as need be or as products and or services change.

This would keep a nice compiled list, and without all the clutter. Maybe it something to look at.....................there's always room for improvement.

FWIW.
:drinks:

RRR

crabo
02-26-2010, 01:45 AM
As some have mentioned, having one thread per Vendor/Sponsor, locked so no other post can be added, allowing each Vendor/Sponsor to list their services, products and wares. They could also edit or add additional info as need be or as products and or services change.

This would keep a nice compiled list, and without all the clutter. Maybe it something to look at.....................there's always room for improvement.

FWIW.

RRR

I like this idea alot, and I am computer literate.

geargnasher
02-26-2010, 02:19 AM
When Ken contacted me about the Vendor/Sponsors section, I thought, and still think it's a great idea. Only problem is, as Happy7 has mentioned, is trying to find anything in there can be a PITA.

Most of the original threads have had so many posts added to them, you can't make out much unless you go thru the whole thing. And some Vendor/Sponsors have mutiple threads going.

I can't edit my original post on my Vendor/Sponsor thread, it's timed out. So if want to add more info, I have to add another post or bug Ken to do it for me.

FWIW.

RRR

100% agree with the locked sticky at the top of the VS page, a quick, alphabetical (or whatever) list of our sponsors and their products (and web links if applicable), just makes sense to have an overview thread, especially for newer members who don't know who's who yet or what great products are availabe from our own.

And the OP's idea of a VS page link on the banner might be a good one. Has nuttin' to do with the "Gubb'ment take care o' me mentality" the way I see it, just a streamline of the site. The format of the forum isn't designed for a list per se, and thus the whole VS section is sort of makeshift and has gotten too big for effective browsing.

Gear

The Double D
02-26-2010, 10:54 AM
Here's an idea how to deal with it, from how it's done elsewhere.

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7.

and the sponsor listing

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/_all.php

They also include a section on how to become a sponsor with published rates.

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=256576

45nut
02-26-2010, 12:01 PM
Rest assured we are always working toward a better place to visit and our Vendor Sponsors are a important part of that experience. I will see if we can get a all inclusive thread going for a quick review of products and services offered.
We just started this area in September so all of the wrinkles are new to us and just like lead ore, requires refining as we learn the properties and abilities of an ever increasing supply of Vendor Sponsors.
That said, we are blessed to have such talent and dedication available to us.

crabo
02-27-2010, 01:13 PM
Here's a good example, from a computer literate person, who would benefit from such a list.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=77060

Wayne Smith
02-27-2010, 09:45 PM
Just the other day I was thinking of suggesting the very same thing. Ken, please include accurate order/contact information as well as products. I just had to re-mail an order because the address I had was inadequate. I hope the second one is!

PatMarlin
03-01-2010, 01:49 AM
I think the stickie idea is good for VS'ers. Or BS'ers depending on how you look at it ...:mrgreen:

I know I need to get my info orginized here at CB. I'll focus on that as soon as I get some time freed up.