PDA

View Full Version : A weird idea

Jim
02-24-2010, 02:11 PM
Has anyone ever tried loading plain based boolits backwards in a .45-70? I was just wondering how that would work out. I know it would shoot, I just don't know if it could be made to shoot accurately.

Slow Elk 45/70
02-24-2010, 02:23 PM
I agree JIM, that is a weird one, Try it , but I'm thinking the boolit will tumble, most times I have better luck with moving the CG of the boolit farther to the rear...have done this with several by hollowpointing regular molds...good luck

Jim
02-24-2010, 02:52 PM
I got tons of stuff to do once it warms up a bit. I'll add that to my list and see what happens. I've got 3 or 4 different .458 molds to play with.

Slow Elk 45/70
02-24-2010, 04:55 PM
Let us know how it goes....should be interesting.

RayinNH
02-24-2010, 05:12 PM
Jim is it because the boolits don't shoot well with nose forward, need a wad cutter design, or just curiosity on your part? Might be okay at up to 50 yards, not so good beyond, but then I'm just guessing...Ray

Jim
02-25-2010, 05:13 AM
Just curious to see what would happen, that's all.

Four Fingers of Death
02-25-2010, 05:46 AM
38 HBWCs are supposed to be a reasonable defence load up close when seated back to front. Be ok in a revolver. 45/70 would be ok in a single shot seated bass ackwards. I have a 38 cal HBWC mould, I must try it. Troube is, I have so many urgent things to do now I think it will be awhiles until I get around to projects like that.

WyrTwister
02-28-2010, 01:10 AM
Has anyone ever tried loading plain based boolits backwards in a .45-70? I was just wondering how that would work out. I know it would shoot, I just don't know if it could be made to shoot accurately.

No , I have no reason to do so .

God bless
Wyr

Hardcast416taylor
02-28-2010, 11:47 AM
I seem to remember that this was a trick PH in Africa did when their supply ran slim on FMJ rounds for their back up rifles, back in the `50`s.Robert

pls1911
03-20-2010, 04:34 PM
bass ackwards .38s at 800 fps are fine at bed room distance and mushroom perfectly when shot into your sandbox or wading pool.
It's intesting to toy with, but I'd want something heavier like a SWC for defence.

For the 45-70? Yup, weird idea... and why?
An NEI 448 grain soup can slug is essentially a wadcutter for the 45/70 with a HUGE slap factor.

DLCTEX
03-20-2010, 05:08 PM
The Ranch Dog moulds with their large meplats give plenty of WHAP!

Multigunner
03-20-2010, 05:37 PM
I WW1 the Germans tried loading 7.92 bullets backwards, but not for a mushroom effect. They'd found that the open base of a FMJ bullet could act like a tube cutter the edge digging into a iron plate used to protect an observation or sniper loophole in the trenches.
When the flat base struck head on it acted as a punch propelling the cut out wad of armor as a secondary projectile. If the flat base struck at a slight angle it dug in rather than glancing off.

I found that SuperVel truncated cone hollow points had excellent penetration on auto bodywork for the same reason, and the BAT bullet uses a similar open nose copper alloy bullet to increase penetration and permanent hole size on tires to flatten them quickly. The edge of the BAT open nose can also break the fibers of concealable soft body armor increasing likelyhood of defeating it.

The development of the Boat tail bullet began with experiments using standard bullets turned backwards. I ran across an old magazine online that told of these early experiments and discovery of the effect of a streamlined base on velocity retention.
The effect had been explored as early as the 18th century when egg shaped cannon shot were suggested for increased range.

pls1911
03-20-2010, 05:55 PM
DLCTEX is right on regarding the Ranch Dog designs, either an original T-lube or those available from NOE with standard lube grooves.
I have both in .30/30, .32, and .45-70 and have had excellent results.
For overall applications, they're among the best.

missionary5155
03-20-2010, 06:09 PM
Good afternoon Jim
I would be inclined to take my utility knife and wack off some 400 grain+ boolits at the crimp groove. That way you maintain a good flat base and end up with the wadcutter nose. If cutting a short light boolit you could stack-em on top of each other. Two 200 + grainers smacking a soft skin critter would be devastating under 50 yards.
I have done this basic idea in 357 mag and 41 mag. Have not tried 45 Colt.. but that would be a hum dinger of a home load in a carbine or Ruger Blackhawk.

MtGun44
03-20-2010, 06:54 PM
Some people wear their hats backwards . . . . . . .

Bill