PDA

View Full Version : My new casting setup

ScottJ
02-23-2010, 01:40 PM
Haven't had a chance to try it out yet but my mom was getting these shelves out of her house.

Still need to clean some of the other clutter from around the area.

Ben
02-23-2010, 01:49 PM
Please be certain that you've got good ventilation.

ScottJ
02-23-2010, 01:53 PM
Please be certain that you've got good ventilation.

That's what the fan is for.

Probably need another to put in an opened window in addition to the one that blows across the bench and out into the garage.

LAH
02-23-2010, 03:04 PM

What clutter?

lwknight
02-23-2010, 03:48 PM
Most important thing is to arrange things so that you are comfortable and productive.
If it don't feel right , do something about it before you get a backache.

Shiloh
02-23-2010, 04:06 PM
Haven't had a chance to try it out yet but my mom was getting these shelves out of her house.

I see you have a fan. Good start. Any way to use it as a vent?? move fumes OUTSIDE rather than just moving them around??

Otherwise looks nice.

Shiloh

dolang1
02-23-2010, 04:37 PM
LAH, I did not see any clutter either. I did , however, see some flat spots where I could stack things. Later Don

ScottJ
02-24-2010, 12:46 AM
What clutter?

A Jeep bumper my lazy butt should be bolting to the back of my Jeep and some boxes.

As for venting, that room is underneath my front porch. I've been thinking of maybe seeing if I could cut a hole through the sill at the top of the block wall and run a vent out that way.

Doc Highwall
02-24-2010, 01:01 AM
Get yourself a old cookie sheet to put under the pot to catch lead spills/spatter.

sagacious
02-24-2010, 01:03 AM
Very good. You may wish to cut yourself a plywood work-top for your casting bench.

Goatlips
02-24-2010, 01:18 AM
Ditto on Doc's suggestion, that nice paint is gonna look pretty messy soon. Also, the top looks slippery, I'd screw the pot down to the top so a sudden jar wouldn't tip it into your lap. Have fun and make a mess!

Goatlips

Crash_Corrigan
02-24-2010, 02:54 AM
A nice piece of plywood covered with three or four layers of newspaper would make a dandy surface to cast on. Spatters are easily returned to the pot upon completion and the shelf surface does not get messed up.

Additionally the surface is slip free for your casting pot and when it gets a little nasty looking take off the top layer and discard it.

snuffy
02-24-2010, 04:12 AM
I guess I'm gonna die because I cast in a completely UNvented bedroom.

Fumes? What fumes? I get some smoke, but lead fumes/vapor, NOPE!

I can't afford to be heating the outdoors in a Wisconsin winter. My casting is done in a spare bedroom, that is also my loading room. No ventilation!

LAH
02-24-2010, 08:26 AM
LAH, I did not see any clutter either. I did , however, see some flat spots where I could stack things. Later Don

Yes Sir he could put a lot of stuff around that bench. HEE HEE

Dry Creek Bullet Works
Dry Creek Firewood

ScottJ
02-24-2010, 08:57 AM
Very good. You may wish to cut yourself a plywood work-top for your casting bench.

I thought about that. But prior to getting this I was casting on a Back and Decker Workmate. That thing now has several scorch marks from me setting hot items down on it.

I figured plywood would look the same in short order. But it is replacable I guess.

223tenx
02-24-2010, 10:23 AM
:kidding:I thought the Jeep bumper was a homemade sizer/luber.

snuffy
02-24-2010, 04:59 PM
First, it may be by inhaling lead dust or lead fumes such as at indoor range or when melting lead for bullet casting.

Nobody has an electric furnace that can get lead hot enough to produce lead fumes. Or vapor, since we tend to call them the same thing. Lead dust? Metallic lead is heavy. It won't float around long. Dust? I'm not in the habit of grinding on lead ingots to produce dust. It has to be particularized to become dust.

I'm much more likely to get hit by a meteor when I walk out to my car today, then get lead poisoning. I have my lead levels checked each year, my highest reading was 7.0!

Phat Man Mike
02-24-2010, 05:30 PM
wow that makes mine look like the junk yard! ( nice pic's )