PDA

View Full Version : Base question with Pic

RodneyUSAF
02-23-2010, 05:09 AM
Is the depression made at the base of this bullet acceptable? I get these sometimes and I'm not sure why. Sprue cut too hot or cold maybe? Any insight would be helpful. Thanks

Jim
02-23-2010, 05:13 AM
The sprue plate can't cut the sprue off without leaving a mark of some kind. Rest your mind; your boolits are beautiful. BTW, I've got that same mold and use it quite often.

RodneyUSAF
02-23-2010, 05:18 AM
Thanks JIM, I appreciate the input. I can't wait to shoot some of these. Are they accurate?

DLCTEX
02-23-2010, 11:22 AM
I cast wearing heavy gloves and push the sprue plate with my thumb. I get the smoothest cuts by applying a little downward pressure. Also, I use Bullplate lube on the mould, which allows me to cut the sprue while a little softer without tearing or smearing.:cbpour:

Recluse
02-23-2010, 11:36 AM
Are they accurate?

Very accurate.

I use 4.1 grains of W231 and get one ragged hole at 50 feet shooting handheld. It's enough "oomph" to cycle to slide, but almost no recoil and again, VERY accurate load that is an absolute stone cold blast to shoot.

:coffee:

wallenba
02-23-2010, 12:15 PM
Those are OK, the ones that stick up a bit on my gas check bases are what keep me wondering. Will they affect gas deflection while exiting the muzzle?

R.C. Hatter
02-23-2010, 01:51 PM
:coffeecom Not to worry, your bullets look fine. I'd bet there are several folks here that don't always get bases that good in their castings.

sagacious
02-23-2010, 02:44 PM
You bullet looks fine, but yes, the sprue was cut too soon.

Your photo shows that the sprue was broken and not sheared-- compare to your other bullets and you will see the sprue is sheared and not broken. When they start looking like that, allow the mold to cool a few more seconds before cutting the sprue. If you cut too early, the sprue plate will become smeared with lead.

A small sprue defect like that is not likely to affect accuracy at pistol ranges.

Hope this helps, best of luck. :drinks:

RodneyUSAF
02-23-2010, 02:50 PM
Thanks for the compliments guys, it means a lot. Casting was a rocky start, my fault, but I think I have this mold down at least. It likes it hot, and the boolits come out better the faster I go. I cool the sprue with a wet rag, and that allows me to keep the mold up to temp. This is a super fun hobby, and I'm already looking at new molds!

bmac10
02-23-2010, 07:40 PM
what is the w231 powder?

Blammer
02-23-2010, 07:53 PM
it's Winchester 231 powder, good pistol powder

MtGun44
02-23-2010, 08:26 PM
"Are the accurate?"

Depends on a bunch of stuff. Tell us what you get and we'll try to help
if it doesn't meet your expectations.

Nice looking casting.