PDA

View Full Version : Alloy hardness (?)

RKJ
02-22-2010, 01:19 PM
Guys, First I apologize for a new guy question that has probably been asked (in one form or another) a thousand times. I've got 25 lbs of lead that came directly from the mine (it's handy being so close to the lead reserves) :) it's alloyed (?) at 3% antimony and was made to different bullet companies specs. I can buy this mix most anytime and the cost depends on the market at the time. I would like to use it for 9mm, 45, & 44 mag at close to max velocity for the 9 and 45. What do I need to add to it for hardness or is it fine as is. I also have about 10 lbs of range lead that I gathered and would like to throw in the mix, it's mostly jacketed pistol lead. I hope I don't sound too vague but I'm a little confused. Thanks for the help and for a great forum.

RobS
02-22-2010, 01:55 PM
I don't know if there is tin in your alloy mix or not so I can't give you a straight answer. However here is a great site for a resource:

http://www.lasc.us/CastBulletNotes.htm

Scroll down to the bottom to see alloy mixes etc.

454PB
02-22-2010, 02:53 PM
3% antimony is close to the amount in wheelweights, so the hardness should be fine. You're probably going to need some tin as RobS has pointed out.

If you want more hardness without adding antimony, you can heat treat or water drop.

Wayne Smith
02-22-2010, 02:54 PM
If it's mixed to bullet company specs you need to find out if it's cast boolit company specs or if it is mixed for condom bullets. If the latter it probably is 3% antimony and nothing else. You will probably want to add some tin for mold fillout - 2% is recommended.

runfiverun
02-22-2010, 10:17 PM
just mix the two together, flux, make ingots then boolits and shoot away.
depending on your 9mm mold it should do as well as the 45 and 44 does.
your making this way too hard.
if the mold don't fill out well, more heat or 1% tin will work for you.
i personally like a 1/3 mix for lots of stuff and if it water hardens it makes a nice rifle boolit too.

rhead
02-23-2010, 06:03 AM
Did it give any specific problem when you tried it? Wrinkles, rounded bases, leading, flyers?